Baseline for MacBook Pro 15 uses Intel graphic chip

I was looking at replacing my Macbook Pro 15.4 with Retina 2012. The reason I want to replace it is that the screen has ghosting issues and I use for print and web designing. Anyway, I was thinking about replacing to the 2015 model baseline. I don't see any reason to get more storage or a little bit faster processor. Anyway, when I saw that it's using Iris Pro instead of the Radian m370x on the middle line Macbook Pro. Is the $420 jump for a high processor, more storage and AMD graphic chip worth it? Is it also worth replacing my 2012 model for the 2015 or wait until 2016 or even 2017 model to come out?

Don't upgrade to the MBPr yet. The CPU's haven't been updated to Skylake yet. I'd hold off till they do that at the very least. 

The only thing that can be 100% certain is that there will be Skylake refresh if they keep the product line.

That will give similar CPU power, slightly extended battery life and much faster SSD interface and if Apple wants to they can max out RAM with 2 x 16gb instead of 2 x 8gb which would be fantastic for graphics design. So far, no (ultrabook style) laptop with Skylake has a 32gb RAM option although the Dell XPS 15 mentioned one in the original press release so Apple could grab the technical lead there by pushing high density DDR4 RAM which would make sense for a "Pro" product.

If they source the top (low power) Skylake CPU, the Iris graphics has a nice bump which might force a design decision to eliminate AMD or NVIDIA GPU. The design problem with increments in Intel GPU power is that it would take a more powerful AMD to be enough of a boost to make sense and a more powerful GPU kills battery.

The Microsoft Surface Book caught everyone by surprise and competes with the Macbook Pro thanks to the NVIDIA 950 inside the base unit so there is a chance that Apple may want to adjust their original configuration planning to make sure they can release a stronger MBP.

The Skylake Dell XPS 15 has a NVIDIA 960 so for Apple to have the best hardware for designers, they ideally would work some magic and provision a MBP with Skylake "H" series quad core CPU, NVIDIA 970 and 32 gig RAM in a thinner lighter titanium frame with increased battery life. I would buy my first Apple product if they did that engineering miracle. But that in that Mother of all Battles between the Apple Design Team and the Laws of Physics, Physics usually wins and then Marketing has to patch up the loss.

Non-Prediction 1 - Clone a Dell XPS 15

Take the Dell XPS 15 specs and upgrade to 32 gig RAM and 970 GPU. I don't think it can be done but I would buy one.

Prediction 1 - Conservative design to maximize profits:

Skylake H series with Iris only and just 16 gb of DDR4. Marketing will focus on a force touch trackpad etc.

Prediction 2 - Aggressive design for graphics professionals

Skylake H series with mid-range GPU and just 16GB of DDR4. Just enough to take back the performance lead from Surface Book. With this config they might consider Skylake U series to claw back some battery but that would be disappointing.

Prediction 3 - Re-design to counter Surface Book

I don't think they have enough time for this but maybe something was already in the works. I don't see a detach tablet since it would need OSX. Unless they added a ARM CPU and switched to IOS when detached. Seems too awkward. And they really like their clean simple message of OSX for computers and IOS for mobile.

For professionals, a docking base station that had a powerful GPU and maybe a second CPU would be both useful and inspiring if done right, Not very Apple-ish though.

The Apple Pencil looks to be a good design so maybe they could make a MBP with a Pencil Trackpad.

Trying to predict real innovation is close to impossible so I'll stop right here on that.

--------------

So if they go with option 1, not much of an upgrade to wait for.

If they do option 2, a great upgrade unless they use U version of i7

In the very unlikely Dell XPS upgrade scenario, line up at the store and I'll join you.

In the "Steve Jobs is Back" innovation scenario I think it would introduce a 6 month delay and may not be aimed at graphics professionals anyways so the 2015 upgrade makes a stepping stone in that case.