Should Microsoft make its own variation of Android?

With Microsoft's Windows Mobile platform having a hard time gaining traction, should Microsoft makes its own variation of Android.

Think about it, there is no reason that Microsoft cannot make a variation of Android that can run Windows Universal Apps and looks just like Windows Mobile 10.

While at it, Microsoft can just piggyback of whatever improvements Google made to Android.

As for as most people are concerned, if it looks like Windows Mobile and acts like Windows Mobile, is it not Windows Mobile?

What's the point of having their own "version" of a Mobile OS if their going to "copy" what others did? From my point of view, Microsoft just needs to give up on Mobile, and focus on other things. Improving their company should be the focus. I know a lot of people who work for Microcrap, and they hate it. I mean, their spending over a billion to re-do the Redmond campus, which is already ridiculous to begin with. I've been there, haha.

Microsoft is already using a Linux flavor for their Azure, iirc.

What's the point of having their own "version" of a Mobile OS if their going to "copy" what others did? From my point of view, Microsoft just needs to give up on Mobile, and focus on other things. Improving their company should be the focus. I know a lot of people who work for Microcrap, and they hate it. I mean, their spending over a billion to re-do the Redmond campus, which is already ridiculous to begin with. I've been there, haha.

What personal vendetta do you have against Microsoft?

Getting back to topic, I don't see why Microsoft can't port Windows Runtime (WinRT) to Android.

It might be cheaper to maintain a runtime than maintaining a separate operating system.

None. I feel like they've sold out to the corporate soul sucking 1%'ers.

The whole "sold out" fad died a decade ago.

• Like 3

I disagree. 

- The capabilities of Windows Apps evolve with Windows development. Producing Windows and developing/maintaining a whole seperate layer to run on Universal Apps on Android wouldn't be cost effective at all.
- Unless they'd be willing to let users also buy apps from the Google Play store (which I'm willing to be, they wouldn't), it doesn't resolve the current deficiencies in app availability with the platform, so, same problem as today.
- Windows Mobile already exists and has been heavily invested in, and is core to Microsoft current long terms plans. If they were starting out fresh with nothing, that would be a different story (and I'm willing to bet those discussions were had internally at Microsoft). Throwing what they've got away doesn't make any sense. 
- Microsoft having to work with/rely on a competitor to produce their base platform doesn't seem like a great idea.
- Microsoft's vision of having a single platform to run on many devices (PC, mobile, Xbox) is a good. They'll never be #1 on mobile (they were too late), but the platform has a lot of potential to grow much bigger. They just don't have everything in place yet.

Why would they use Linux to power their Azure cloud when they have their own in-house server platform?

On to the OP, it's like a lot of things.  The market only has room for so many successful products.  For most gamers the PS4 and the XBox One are the first thing that comes to mind.  The Wii U is an after thought, something you might buy for your kids, or just to play the latest Zelda, and then not touch again for a year, regardless of how good the console actually might be.  When it comes to operating systems you've got Windows, OSX, and then a metric truckload of Linux distributions over in the corner that don't have the corporate sponsorship and public visibility to really be successful or attract big 3rd party developers when most people already use Windows, regardless of how solid some of those distributions might be.  It even carries over into our elections.  The majority of people only really consider the Republican or Democratic candidates (in the US anyway); third party candidates winning ANY election is really rare.

Even though I left the Windows ecosystem a long time ago in favor of Linux on my PCs and mobile devices, I would like to see Microsoft polish their mobile OS and continue to market it, maybe even sell images of it so that bored computer geeks could buy a license and flash it onto their own devices.  Choice is always good, and there will always be an underdog.  For now at least, the mobile operating system under dog is Windows, and maybe that's a good thing, because they've kind of had the non-Apple PC market on lockdown since day 1.

Edit: Random afterthought.  Since Android is open source, and the Linux kernel it runs on is open source, would it benefit Microsoft to implement an Android compatibility layer that would allow users to install Android apps on their Windows mobile devices?

Why would they use Linux to power their Azure cloud when they have their own in-house server platform?

Because enterprise customers demanded it. Microsoft, recently team up with Redhat to add their distro to the Azure Cloud option,

• Like 2

Because enterprise customers demanded it. Microsoft, recently team up with Redhat to add their distro to the Azure Cloud option,

I mean I know they offer Linux distributions as available guest operating systems.  I thought he was saying that the Azure cloud itself, the host operating system on which all these gust operating systems run, was a Linux system.

no, what they should is, get their ass in gear and get android apps running in windows phone, presto!  dat app gap will be gone!

That's what I mentioned in my earlier comment on this post, I agree.  I'm sure they would have to work out some sort of licensing agreement with Google, but the linux kernel is open source, as is the Android operating system, so the source code is right there, so they have everything they need to build a good and proper Android compatibility layer, kind of like Wine tries to do for Windows apps on Linux, except Wine doesn't have access to the Windows source code.  I guess Microsoft could call this compatibility layer "whiskey" or something, :p

• Like 1

I mean I know they offer Linux distributions as available guest operating systems.  I thought he was saying that the Azure cloud itself, the host operating system on which all these gust operating systems run, was a Linux system.

Azure runs on Windows Server DataCenter.

That's what I mentioned in my earlier comment on this post, I agree.  I'm sure they would have to work out some sort of licensing agreement with Google, but the linux kernel is open source, as is the Android operating system, so the source code is right there, so they have everything they need to build a good and proper Android compatibility layer, kind of like Wine tries to do for Windows apps on Linux, except Wine doesn't have access to the Windows source code.  I guess Microsoft could call this compatibility layer "whiskey" or something, :p

I guess we will have to wait and see how much cash microsoft is willing to burn in the mobile business before taking drastic measures.

I sure hope they don't give up on their own mobile OS. The Windows 10 UWP is very powerful. It's just that nobody cares right yet.

Microsoft needs to abandon mobile altogether. When users of Windows Phone upgrade 80% pick a non-Windows Phone device - that compares with Android and iOS, where 80% of users choose the same platform. Microsoft's mobile platform is in terminal decline, with its market share halving over the past year. The company doesn't understand the market.

I don't understand Microsoft's obsession with competing in mobile when every attempt has failed. Android isn't the answer either, as Amazon and Blackberry have both demonstrated. It's time for Microsoft to move on. I can't see Windows Mobile 10 doing anything to change the current downward trend.

It is only Azure switches that use a customized Microsoft Linux for efficiency. It makes no sense to customize WIndows 10 to manage a network switch. Different flavors of Linux may be hosted on Azure. They aren't built by Microsoft however.

It is only Azure switches that use a customized Microsoft Linux for efficiency. It makes no sense to customize WIndows 10 to manage a network switch. Different flavors of Linux may be hosted on Azure. They aren't built by Microsoft however.

Did some Googling with your mention of "Microsoft Linux", and horey sheet, lol.

http://www.wired.com/2015/09/microsoft-built-linux-everyone-else/

as others have mentioned, MS need to drop the whole mobile market idea IMO.

Sure what they are promising looks neat and a good idea, but they've lost the corporate market and domestic market years ago, begging to keep their single digit market share is embarrassing, do they think corps and consumers will drop androids and iphones, few year's worth of apps and buy into either ecosystem, just because Ms go hey look we have a new handset.....

To the layman right now they are thinking what dammed lumia is going to be supported post W10 release, hell still a lot of miffed lumia 800 users who got dropped like a leper way too quickly way before w10 was even an idea for mobile.

Its a shame because i like the lumia hardware, but MS in mobile are starting to look like a sorrier Blackberry tbh, hell even they have managed to make it back to market before MS have, that has to be embarrassing.

Announcing with fanfare that "hey look we've allowed some old functionality back into our latest kit/OS" isnt winning anyone over i fear.

I'd have liked nothing more to see MS devices up there competing with Android/iOS market share, but let's be brutally honest, it will fail like every other iteration of mobile Ms have ever released, too little too late (& that's from an ex HP Ipaq 5450 WinCe user back in the day) 

As far as them making their own fork of Android, what point would that honestly give? Ms have already dropped the development of running Android apps on W10 mobile, and their unified interface and programming platform would cease to be again.

MS should concentrate on what they do best, Desktop/Server Oses and productivity suites, xbox and hell surface line of kit, even their apps on other platforms are pretty robust, stick what they are best at IMO.

They are trying to be jack of all trades, and we know what that produces ;) Jack of all trades, master of none!

Edited by Mando

None. I feel like they've sold out to the corporate soul sucking 1%'ers.

LOL!! They've ALWAYS tailored to the enterprise. I'm sorry, but enterprise and business is where the money is at (and pretty much most of the magic). Home users do nothing but whine about icons and how their prehistoric software and games don't work on newer versions of Windows. It's more like the home users are the 1%'ers.

Any job that involves me fixing a user's home white box system, I pass very quickly...