After transferring SSD from one PC to another Windows says it's not activated.

I am running Windows 10 Insider Preview 10586 on an SSD. I was given a faster PC than the one I have, so I transferred the SSD from my PC to the one I was given and now Windows 10 says it is not activated. Is there a way to activate it in the new PC? I don't know why I shouldn't be able to activate it since it's the same hard drive I've been using.

Windows activation uses different factors from your computer.  If too many change then it un-activates.  Obviously in your case everything changed except the hard drive.  You'll have to activate Windows using the phone method.

It's not activated on the new PC because it's only activated on your original machine.  The only way to activate it (if you have a valid Windows 7 or 8 key) is to install Windows 7 or 8, then install 10.  Or you can call the Microsoft Activation center, answer the couple of automated questions they ask, then you can activate it manually.

Hello,

Are you able to run the Software License User Interface program (filename: "C:\Windows\System32\slui.exe 04") to launch the Activation Wizard at step #4, where it prompts you to select your country so it can display the correct toll-free number for Microsoft?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

The licence is stored in the MoBo, you've changed the MoBo (technically) so it'll no longer be linked to the device. This is what i did on one of my machines, but i could get to the desktop and from there i called MS support.

With the newest build you don't have to install 7 or 8 and then upgrade to 10, you should be able to use your 7 or 8 key, unless it's a OEM key, in which case it's non-transferable to a new desktop, only retail copies are. Try your key and see if you can activate but I'm guessing it won't work so that leaves only the phone method.