Windows 10 1511 Update Privacy and Apps

Just installed the update and noticed a few things:

1.  My privacy settings had been altered.  I had previously turned Smartscreen Filter OFF and now it was on.  I had also turned OFF all Background App access and now all of them were turned on.  I don't recall settings for Call History and Email previously but I would have turned them off as well and now they were set to on.

2.  Apps I had previously removed had been reinstalled.  Camera App, Groove Music, Get Started, Get Office, Get Skype, Mail, Map, Messaging, Microsoft Wifi (new), Money, Movies/TV, News, People, Phone, Phone Companion, Photos, Skype Video, Sports, Sway (new), Weather, Xbox.  All that I had previously removed were reinstalled! 

What is the point of the last step of the install being "Configuring Settings" if they won't even respect the existing settings?  Is this the future of Windows 10 where every time they push an update the user will have to actively fight to keep their OS configuration the way they wanted it? 

Really quite disappointed in Microsoft.  We have two desktops, 1 laptop, and one tablet all running Windows 10 and the thought of having to refight this battle on 4 systems every time there's an update makes me think maybe Apple or Linux is a better option.

The apps you uninstalled would be considered "core" apps so it doesn't suprise me that they were reinstalled. This was an OS upgrade, not just a service pack.

When the upgrade finished I was asked if I wanted to turn on Smartscreen.

When I'm leaving the PC for a while I turn off the monitor. Then when I come back and turn on the monitor and wiggle the mouse to make it kick in, I see the location icon in the system tray. Yet I have location services turned off.

The apps you uninstalled would be considered "core" apps so it doesn't suprise me that they were reinstalled. This was an OS upgrade, not just a service pack.

In one sense I see what you are saying, but respecting my preferences isn't difficult!  They checked and respected all my other preferences - why couldn't they just respect those as well?  And as for the new stuff added they should have brought up the settings window as part of the post install process and let me choose settings for the new things added - I mean they spent the time to come up with useless splash screens to tell me they've updated my system, why not devote some effort to improving the trust of their customer base!  Aargh!

It has nothing to do with "respect" that's just a bunch of nonsense, after updated A LOT of apps go back to their defaults, all depends on the type of update, in this case a major OS upgrade

People need to chill, the fake paranoia is not good for you, and you need to stop listening to the haters 

When I'm leaving the PC for a while I turn off the monitor. Then when I come back and turn on the monitor and wiggle the mouse to make it kick in, I see the location icon in the system tray. Yet I have location services turned off.

This happened to me as well, try turning the setting on then back off again - that seemed to fix it for me.

Edit: Actually, thinking again - I also went into the dialogue to turn location off system-wide, maybe it was that.

Edited by ArchieTech

Just installed the update and noticed a few things:

1.  My privacy settings had been altered.  I had previously turned Smartscreen Filter OFF and now it was on.  I had also turned OFF all Background App access and now all of them were turned on.  I don't recall settings for Call History and Email previously but I would have turned them off as well and now they were set to on.

2.  Apps I had previously removed had been reinstalled.  Camera App, Groove Music, Get Started, Get Office, Get Skype, Mail, Map, Messaging, Microsoft Wifi (new), Money, Movies/TV, News, People, Phone, Phone Companion, Photos, Skype Video, Sports, Sway (new), Weather, Xbox.  All that I had previously removed were reinstalled! 

What is the point of the last step of the install being "Configuring Settings" if they won't even respect the existing settings?  Is this the future of Windows 10 where every time they push an update the user will have to actively fight to keep their OS configuration the way they wanted it? 

Really quite disappointed in Microsoft.  We have two desktops, 1 laptop, and one tablet all running Windows 10 and the thought of having to refight this battle on 4 systems every time there's an update makes me think maybe Apple or Linux is a better option.

How did you even uninstall those apps? Most of those cannot be uninstalled from the system.

This happened to me as well, try turning the setting on then back off again - that seemed to fix it for me.

Thanks. Just did this. I'll keep an eye out and see if it's worked.

How did you even uninstall those apps? Most of those cannot be uninstalled from the system.

Probably through PowerShell.

same here

It has nothing to do with "respect" that's just a bunch of nonsense, after updated A LOT of apps go back to their defaults, all depends on the type of update, in this case a major OS upgrade

It has EVERYTHING to do with respect.  Since they already check my preferences AND adhere to them in regards to everything else, they should therefore respect my choices when it came to the things they updated.  They already make the check, but in the case of those things they changed they decided to ignore my prior choices. 

Here's an analogy:  If a service technician came into your home to "upgrade" your thermostat and after the update you found they had not restored your settings for temperature or times of day to turn on or off you would not find that acceptable would you?

Thanks. Just did this. I'll keep an eye out and see if it's worked.

Probably through PowerShell.

Yep.  Plenty of places on the web to find the commands.  Hopefully Microsoft will make it easier and just include an UNINSTALL option like the do with many other entries.

It has EVERYTHING to do with respect.  Since they already check my preferences AND adhere to them in regards to everything else, they should therefore respect my choices when it came to the things they updated.  They already make the check, but in the case of those things they changed they decided to ignore my prior choices. 

Here's an analogy:  If a service technician came into your home to "upgrade" your thermostat and after the update you found they had not restored your settings for temperature or times of day to turn on or off you would not find that acceptable would you?

You're right, with the thermostat analogy - I would want it restored.  Why?  Because I own the thermostat.  You don't own the operating system on your PC, you simply have a license to use it. It's not your OS, it's Microsoft's.  This has nothing to do with respect or disrespect for you personally.  You reinstalled Windows, and it put those things back, because they're part of the stock OS image.  Stop whining about it - you act like they uninstalled all your other apps or something.  And yes, I'm also annoyed with the 'Get' apps on the Start Menu, but they aren't installed; they're just shortcuts. Get Office, Get Skype.  Just 'uninstall' them, and they're gone.  That took all of two seconds.  Plus, why would you uninstall the Weather app?  It's real helpful.

Yep.  Plenty of places on the web to find the commands.  Hopefully Microsoft will make it easier and just include an UNINSTALL option like the do with many other entries.

Windows offered a subset of apps in various older versions that you could never officially uninstall either - Calculator, Windows Media Player, etc. Same applies for the core apps. There may be a command to remove them, but Windows still expects those apps to be there when it goes to update itself.

Windows offered a subset of apps in various older versions that you could never officially uninstall either - Calculator, Windows Media Player, etc. Same applies for the core apps. There may be a command to remove them, but Windows still expects those apps to be there when it goes to update itself.

Quite true.  But in every case you mentioned I could also easily remove them from my Start Menu.  Also in most cases they were programs, not hooks back into the browser i.e. People, Weather, Sports, etc.  I really don't care that Microsoft includes them, but what is the goal of making it so difficult to remove them?

Plus, why would you uninstall the Weather app?  It's real helpful.

Because I don't need a Weather App on my desktop PC - and the simple fact that I want to.

Quite true.  But in every case you mentioned I could also easily remove them from my Start Menu.  Also in most cases they were programs, not hooks back into the browser i.e. People, Weather, Sports, etc.  I really don't care that Microsoft includes them, but what is the goal of making it so difficult to remove them?

Because I don't need a Weather App on my desktop PC - and the simple fact that I want to.

I agree with you to a considerable extent; I uninstall the Sports, Food, Money, 3D Printer, People apps.  With the Weather app, why just unpin it from your Start menu?  It seems like it would be easier than having to do searches on the Internet to figure out how to accomplish some backdoor uninstall of them. 

Actually, I just remembered that CCleaner now lists these apps in the uninstall section. So you can also remove them with that.

Awesome - haven't used it in years but maybe worth a try.  Thanks for the tip!

I agree with you to a considerable extent; I uninstall the Sports, Food, Money, 3D Printer, People apps.  With the Weather app, why just unpin it from your Start menu?  It seems like it would be easier than having to do searches on the Internet to figure out how to accomplish some backdoor uninstall of them. 

Something about "privacy" and some other nonsense about space, hell the OPs premise that MS should "respect" his changes tall you all you need to know

Something about "privacy" and some other nonsense about space, hell the OPs premise that MS should "respect" his changes tall you all you need to know

Yeah, I know.  Well, frankly, anyone that gives a reason of why they want to do something as "because I want to"  is incomprehensible to me.  I have a colleague at work, and I've asked her about why she does some of the things she does with her PC (she's not too technologically savvy), she says 'because I want to'.  I told her that repeating she wants to do something and presenting it as the reason doesn't work.  I told her, if you don't want to tell me the reason, just say so, but don't say 'because I want to' is the reason. 

Actually, I just remembered that CCleaner now lists these apps in the uninstall section. So you can also remove them with that.

Um, no?

CCleaner.thumb.PNG.ecfd0ca6fef0366305037

Yeah, I know.  Well, frankly, anyone that gives a reason of why they want to do something as "because I want to"  is incomprehensible to me.  I have a colleague at work, and I've asked her about why she does some of the things she does with her PC (she's not too technologically savvy), she says 'because I want to'.  I told her that repeating she wants to do something and presenting it as the reason doesn't work.  I told her, if you don't want to tell me the reason, just say so, but don't say 'because I want to' is the reason. 

Well, I think its a valid reason for an individual, but not for anyone else, especially if you want to convince them to your line of thinking.

I got an iPhone, because I wanted to. Thats my reason, but I don't expect anyone else to use that reasoning for themselves. It wouldn't make sense for you to buy an iPhone, because I wanted to. ;)

Yeah, I know.  Well, frankly, anyone that gives a reason of why they want to do something as "because I want to"  is incomprehensible to me.

Just in case you missed that first part I made it bold.  Better now?  Is that within your comprehension?  I'll lay of the snarky comments as long as you play fair too.

Just in case you missed that first part I made it bold.  Better now?  Is that within your comprehension?  I'll lay of the snarky comments as long as you play fair too.

UNPIN IT FORM START

Now your "problem" is gone, simple enough for you? 

UNPIN IT FORM START

Now your "problem" is gone, simple enough for you? 

Most of the default apps cannot be unpinned from Start.  Alarms and Clock, Contact Support, Photos, etc.  Try it. 

I don't have a "problem", I've already fixed everything back to the way I wanted it.  My post was about the fact that I feel Microsoft should have respected the choices I have previously made.  If you don't agree - cool.  Your computer, your choice.  My computer, my choice.  If you have no qualms about the update I'm happy for you - I was not.

Most of the default apps cannot be unpinned from Start.  Alarms and Clock, Contact Support, Photos, etc.  Try it. 

I don't have a "problem", I've already fixed everything back to the way I wanted it.  My post was about the fact that I feel Microsoft should have respected the choices I have previously made.  If you don't agree - cool.  Your computer, your choice.  My computer, my choice.  If you have no qualms about the update I'm happy for you - I was not.

Thats a lie.

pretty stupid to have all that bloatware as 'core" when we talk about ablets that only have 16-32GB storage on em -_-