W10 BlueScreen - Installing VMs

Hey Neowinians,

I encountered a problem today. While I'm installing a VM, Ubuntu 15.04 64bit, I've bluescreened twice.

"MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION" is the error it gives me. Did a little bit of Googling and I couldn't figure out what was up.

Kali Linux, Red Hat 7 works fine. Every OS I've tried, but Ubuntu has worked fine.

I need a workable environment for my Linux+ Class.

It would help if you told us what software you were using to create the VM, and do you have the newest available version of the software? Other than that, the only time I have seen a BSOD when installing or using a VM is when the host is low on resources/running out of resources.

It would help if you told us what software you were using to create the VM, and do you have the newest available version of the software? Other than that, the only time I have seen a BSOD when installing or using a VM is when the host is low on resources/running out of resources.

My bad.

I'm using the latest of VMWare Workstation. It's specific to Ubuntu Desktop, I haven't tried any other versions of Ubuntu yet. I have 8GB of RAM, each VM is automatically given 1GB. It works fine on my desktop, but crashes my laptop. My work laptop is running Windows 7 Enterprise, and it works just fine. I can get to the login screen, but before I can finish my password, it BSOD's. I'm a bit miffed on this.

OpenSUSE, Windows Server 2012 DC, Windows Server 2008, Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10, Red Hat, CentOS, Linux Mint, and Tails work flawlessly.

I'd start with something simple like Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool, it's built into Windows as far as I know, it;'s certainly there on my Win 10 Enterprise edition.

I'd start with something simple like Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool, it's built into Windows as far as I know, it;'s certainly there on my Win 10 Enterprise edition.

Found no errors. Could it be a bad download?

Replace the memory stick in there and see how you go.

Can't do that. Voids the warranty, and that is something I would like to keep, considering I bought extended.

Why would all these other VMs work, but not Ubuntu? I just tried Ubuntu 14.xx, and it crashed after awhile.

Never heard of a warranty being voided for replacing or upgrading ram unless it's a sealed unit. Maybe download virtualbox and see if the vm works then? At least you could then figure out if it's your software or the machine.

• Like 2

Never heard of a warranty being voided for replacing or upgrading ram unless it's a sealed unit. Maybe download virtualbox and see if the vm works then? At least you could then figure out if it's your software or the machine.

Sounds like an OC config issue around the cores and specifically.

Try it with Hyper-V. If it works, I'd say VMWare is the problem.

I don't even know how to use Hyper-V, haha. I'll check it out when I wake up.

@ Riva: I don't get how a specific OS would have issues, when every other one I've tried, works flawlessly. I'm thinking it could be VMWare, I might try a different configuration. Could be that VMWare wants too much RAM, and Windows isn't willing to give it the 1GB it wants.

@ Riva: I don't get how a specific OS would have issues, when every other one I've tried, works flawlessly. I'm thinking it could be VMWare, I might try a different configuration. Could be that VMWare wants too much RAM, and Windows isn't willing to give it the 1GB it wants.

Virtualbox is free and very similar to VMware

Could be VMware, and if that's the problem, then I suspect it is your memory. Changing memory does not void warranty lol. 

Virtualbox is free and very similar to VMware

I know what Virtual Box is. I used it at work before we got VMWare. I'm just not super fond of it.

Is the BSOD from the host or the guest? If its the guest then yes its VMWare. I would say use Hyper-V 3.0 as it now even gives you 3D acceleration with RemoteFX with a windows 10 guest

That's the problem, I don't know if it's the host or the guest. What I find strange is that it's ONLY Ubuntu. I'll check out Hyper-V

Could be VMware, and if that's the problem, then I suspect it is your memory. Changing memory does not void warranty lol. 

Well, There's a sticker on the bottom of my laptop case that says "WARRANTY VOID IF REMOVED", and it's one of the screw holes for removing the back piece. There is no external spot for me to swap the RAM.

This may help; This is my laptop.

Does your laptop have dual graphics? Disable the discrete and see how you go...

(I'm just throwing useless suggestions now). 

Dual GFX. Onboard and Dedicated. Never thought of that. Wish Windows Error Logs gave you more than that error. =/

Do not install Hyper-V on your machine if you also use it for video editing or gaming. It is a type-1 hypervisor.

You could try & install VirtualBox but do not run it at the same time as VMware. Though I don't really think this is a proper solution.

Your issue seems to be a hardware issue, have you checked your BIOS & made sure that virtualisation is enabled? Also check for a BIOS update. As others have suggested, run a memory test too.

Do not install Hyper-V on your machine if you also use it for video editing or gaming. It is a type-1 hypervisor.

You could try & install VirtualBox but do not run it at the same time as VMware. Though I don't really think this is a proper solution.

Your issue seems to be a hardware issue, have you checked your BIOS & made sure that virtualisation is enabled? Also check for a BIOS update. As others have suggested, run a memory test too.

Intel VT or whatever it is, is enabled. And the memory test came back OK.