Lumia 950 review...not so good

"That new Windows Phone flagships are so overdue has been nothing but bad news for the platform. Even people who otherwise like the platform, develop for the platform, evangelize for the platform have jumped ship for lack of hardware. And for those that stayed, the delay has also placed tremendous weight of expectation on the new flagships. Unfortunately, the Lumia 950 does not really live up to those expectations."

Source

Edited by Jason S.
thread formatted

Not trying to troll, I just don't see what is so compelling about Windows phones. I just don't know what about them would jingle someones jangles.

I mean sure for $30 I would buy a Lumia 640 to play with and to experiment on.

I can only think of one thing why would be Windows Phones be interesting...a novelty. I was actually looking to buy 640 to check out the platform thouroughly, but these are still ~130 euros here...that is ~160$ and it is too much for my playtoy. The most troubling thing about the Lumia 950 is it's performance. Compared to same hardware on Android (Nexus 5x) Lumia 950 is ~50% slower in various benchmarks. Maybe Microsoft will resolve Windows Phone 10 issues within a year, but then whole new generation of phones will be available, including Lumias, if the platform lives that long. 

Not trying to troll, I just don't see what is so compelling about Windows phones. I just don't know what about them would jingle someones jangles.

Plenty of cheap models, updated for years, UI is usually always responsive and applications can't install useless and irritating background services. When the alternatives at the same price are some Samsung Super Mini Neo Trinity Morpheus Déjà vu edition that will likely never be updated or some chinaphones the Lumias seem a pretty reasonable alternative. But I would never ever buy a phone without ad-blocking, especially with those awesome network operators we have here in Italy that would sell their souls to have users end up subscripted to premium SMS services.

Have any of you ever used a windows phone? I am not taking about a cheap one I am talking about the 930 or a 1020. I will give you just several examples - texting - texting on an android device is just painful and iPhone you should just give up even trying. The windows mobile OS is  by far the most efficient OS available and most secure based on many security experts. There is a reason if the windows OS runs rings around the android OS if you put it on the same hardware. There is also the camera my old 1020 still is better than the S6 I am required to use for work. The S6 is good but it is no 1020 and the 950 has an even better camera. Now if you need certain apps that is the only reason to get an android or Apple. There is also windows 10 mobile which is fantastic. There is also one other killer feature that no one else has called Continuum - that you can turn your windows phone into a pc and it really works even better than shown.

windows-10-continuum-shown-off-in-new-vi

Edited by krobin

There is a reason if the windows OS runs rings around the android OS if you put it on the same hardware. 

I urge to read once again Arstehnica review. Windows 10 phone is dog slow compared to Android (not sure were the tests conducted on 5.1 or 6.0). The other thing is You can replace texting app in Android, as You can replace almost anything else on user end. Neither Windows Moblie was what it once was nor Andorid is. Android has made significant strides in optimizations, while still keeping modularity. Windows Mobile seems to have gone backwards as feature parity with iOS and Android are closer.

Have any of you ever used a windows phone? I am not taking about a cheap one I am talking about the 930 or a 1020. I will give you just several examples - texting - texting on an android device is just painful and iPhone you should just give up even trying. The windows mobile OS is  by far the most efficient OS available and most secure based on many security experts. There is a reason if the windows OS runs rings around the android OS if you put it on the same hardware. There is also the camera my old 1020 still is better than the S6 I am required to use for work. The S6 is good but it is no 1020 and the 950 has an even better camera. Now if you need certain apps that is the only reason to get an android or Apple. There is also windows 10 mobile which is fantastic. There is also one other killer feature that no one else has called Continuum - that you can turn your windows phone into a pc and it really works even better than shown.

windows-10-continuum-shown-off-in-new-vi

As much as a supporter I could be for Windows Mobile, I have to admit that there are a lot of problems with the OS. Continnum is still in its infancy, Camera and screen are great on the 950 but nothing else that is jaw dropping. 1020 is a powerful camera but other than that its just a normal phone with very mediocre specs (in the current situation). Windows is more efficient and secure than Android and iOS but like it or not, its still at 3% of the market because:
1)Lesser crucial apps (for the general population) and many apps present are useless/fake/malware. There are alternatives, but people always want the 'original'. App gap is still in the minds of the people though its getting reduced day by day.
2)The whole 'Metro' design interface is not accepted by the majority of the masses. (Tiles are much better than icons, I know, but the whole world is 'seasoned' by icons and people hate change)
3)Lumias have been following a hardware design that is boring and cheap (I support polycarbonate backs for its advantages but not many like it). Other manufacturers may have better designs but those phones don't run on Windows.
4)Microsoft is hated/ignored by many (even those who don't know much about it) and Apple is always the 'Hero'  (Because people believe in Apple more than themselves) while Android is famous because every 'techy' neighbour seems to praise it for its customizability and ease of use and the word 'Google'. (Because people are 'seasoned' by Google to believe that it is the king of all companies that exists in the online realm and by the fact that google is 'fun' and 'exciting', not boring like Microsoft). Windows on the desktop stays there because 1. People don't know Windows is created by Microsoft, 2. They've accepted it because it comes pre installed on most computers and they are 'seasoned' by it.

It takes a lot of effort to change the perception people have in their minds about MS. Also since MS has a competitor in every field it exists, the competition will always try to downplay MS and usually they are at no.2 (with a few exceptions).

Love it as much as you want, but you cant make someone else love it too, especially after being 'seasoned' by iOS and Android.

I used Android for years. What started really getting bothersome with it, is that issues would pile up, performance would degrade, and support was (and still mostly is) non-existent. It became really tiresome to hunt XDA for ROMs that might offer updates that really should have been there to begin with, or to fix issues that shouldn't have. Besides the Nexus line, which had its own issues on the spec/hardware front prior to 6P, I just don't think Android is that good of a platform, if you want something that just works.

I got a Lumia 1020 and it was a gamble, but it paid off for me. I don't care about having every app out there, the phones run really good, and the UI was unique and really tailored for mobile first, which made it a joy to use. It took a bit of a step back now with Windows 10 and the generic app appearance, but it's still ahead of the competition imo.

Having said all this, I don't think anyone will jump ship for the new Lumias, and even I am not really hot on them. Besides having really great specs, I am really disappointed with the physical appearance of these phone. My 1020 is probably the best looking gadget I've ever owned, and I love that design. The only problem I had with it (rounded edges make it a bit hard to hold) was fixed with the *30 line. But these new ones look so generic and lack any personality whatsoever. 830 looks about a 100 times more premium than the new phones.

Not trying to troll, I just don't see what is so compelling about Windows phones.

Off the top of my head, security (over Android.)  Having more invested into MSes ecosystem than Googles.  Enterprise support (for some people.)  Every Apple user I know bitching about iTunes. 

I don't see what's so compelling about anything else.  But if I had to leave WP I'd go iOS.

Not to mention as little as I use my laptop I could easily sell it off and go with Continuum.  For the most part, I'd only be using two devices after that (not getting rid of my Android tab, but I won't use it for much.)

I actually do plan to get the 950 already, though I haven't decided when the best time to do it is.

I can only think of one thing why would be Windows Phones be interesting...a novelty. I was actually looking to buy 640 to check out the platform thouroughly, but these are still ~130 euros here...that is ~160$ and it is too much for my playtoy. The most troubling thing about the Lumia 950 is it's performance. Compared to same hardware on Android (Nexus 5x) Lumia 950 is ~50% slower in various benchmarks. Maybe Microsoft will resolve Windows Phone 10 issues within a year, but then whole new generation of phones will be available, including Lumias, if the platform lives that long. 

True. Windows phones will be a novelty. Nothing will change after 1 year. Windows 10 Mobile may be in few other phones but those are just created by the companies to claim 'We make Windows Mobiles too!'.I don't believe in Benchmarks but that phone is more expensive for what it offers. Sure its for the fans alone but I am sure not all fans will enjoy is thoroughly. Now since Microsoft has told that they will be reducing the number of models, expect the Windows market share to even fall. I want a new Windows Mobile too and I am also interested in the 640 just for 'checking it out'. Unless something radical happens to Windows Mobile (unlikely), things will stay the same. And I feel this is what Microsoft wants. I don't know why but all their actions (rather the lack of it) seems to point that they want a smaller user base. Maybe shut it down permanently? But that ain't going to happen. They have compromised their biggest strength-Windows for Windows mobile. They have invested deeply to go through this route. They should know what they are doing, because if they don't know the entire company could take a big hit.

this is probably the reason Joe Belfiore was fired sent on a year long holiday. At this point, i'm not sure sure what W10 M brings to the table over W8.1M 

I've moved over to Android in the last 3 months. Its laggy pos but its got every feature i use and can think of. not to mention apps. but I'm going to continue using Android. Kinda like Chrome. There is no alternative.

Only think that'll get me back to W10M is a surface phone with a Xiaomi price. 

• Like 2

I urge to read once again Arstehnica review. Windows 10 phone is dog slow compared to Android (not sure were the tests conducted on 5.1 or 6.0). The other thing is You can replace texting app in Android, as You can replace almost anything else on user end. Neither Windows Moblie was what it once was nor Andorid is. Android has made significant strides in optimizations, while still keeping modularity. Windows Mobile seems to have gone backwards as feature parity with iOS and Android are closer.

benchmarks are only comparable when comparing the similar 2 things of the same family.

Hardware wise it's pretty good, comparable to other phones on the market. Not sure why the 3D performance is so low. Is W10 Mobile even finished yet? This has to be one of the worst handled launches ever. It's a shame because Windows Phones are pretty intuitive despite some shortcomings. If Microsoft put some real leadership in its mobile division, they could do a lot better, but at this point it's very late in the game.

As for this review, it's funny that the iris scanner didn't work well with his coke bottle glasses. Obviously he wrote it in anger. There are better written reviews out there.

Lumia 920 owner here. This review is EXACTLY what I wanted to say!

I am NOT an English major and writing long, non-scientific papers is hard for me, but THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I WANTED TO SAY!

I wanted McLaren, but that was cancelled and now the Lumia 950 is a big letdown, in term of build, quality, everything.

I like Peter Bright and MJF but I don't trust them for good reviews. In this review, he has written off Windows Hello because of problems with his eye glasses. There are reports on reddit that it works fine with eye glasses. Same with MJF, she couldn't get it to work properly with Surface Book whereas every other review mentioned how fast and reliable it is.

I wouldn't read much into browser benchmarks because I know Edge runs circles around Chrome in real world usage (provided it doesn't crash :laugh:), The Gfxbench is probably just drivers as the review mentions.

I wouldn't.  Had the 640 for two weeks and sent it back.  Not even worth $30

Everyone kept saying "you dont need mega hardware for windows" yet it ran like an absolute dog

Everyone kept saying "you dont need mega hardware for windows" yet it ran like an absolute dog

Having used both Lumia 630 and Lumia 640, I call ###### on this post. The 640 is an amazing phone for the price.

That's a little strange.  My 635 with 512 megs of RAM runs fantastic.

this is probably the reason Joe Belfiore was fired sent on a year long holiday. At this point, i'm not sure sure what W10 M brings to the table over W8.1M 

I've moved over to Android in the last 3 months. Its laggy pos but its got every feature i use and can think of. not to mention apps. but I'm going to continue using Android. Kinda like Chrome. There is no alternative.

Only think that'll get me back to W10M is a surface phone with a Xiaomi price. 

IMHO, Android is still not a good alternative.

If my friend/family ask me for advice on which phone to buy I generally

1. buy windows phone as long as it has all the apps you need (in most cases this works out well)
  2. if WP is missing the app(s) you need, buy an iPhone
  3. buy Android as the last resort (need apps but don't want to pay Apple tax)

The Gfxbench is probably just drivers as the review mentions.

It's entirely possible the graphics stack either hasn't been updated or apps have to specifically target the new one.  Too many questions there.

Having used both Lumia 630 and Lumia 640, I call ###### on this post. The 640 is an amazing phone for the price.

The vodafone smart ultra 6 is an amazing phone for the price.  The 640/xl felt like a three year old phone.

Too many app resumes for my liking, and multitasking was very slow.

Windows 10 mobile has a torch button now

The real question is, what is soo compelling about these other platforms? Sure they have their good points, but so has Windows. I prefer to have a secure platform with lesser apps than a platform that is not secure, doesn't get updated but has more apps.

Sigh, he wasn't fired or sent away, he took a break, for 7 months. You act like such long vacations never happen. You're wrong.

Anyway, if I read into the review and scroll down to the end. The "bad" points are kinda... odd. He mentions Continuum as a bad thing (after also listing it as a good thing). However, in what way is it bad? He says that it "might not be the future". So what? Does that make it a bad thing to have? No. And "Windows 10 Mobile does not feel ready for prime time.", nothing an update can't solve, and honestly, it runs quiet stable on my different Windows phones. Expencive realy isn't a bad thing, you might find it bad, but it is still a flagship device, and still cheaper then its competitors, so no, not expensive at all. And finally "Limited carrier compatibility in the US", that's an US only issue, and not even close to relevant for the majority of the Windows phone user base. Honestly, most of his points are just personal experience that can be totally different for others (or can be solved for him), location related issues or plain weird.