Lumia 950 review...not so good

Have any of you ever used a windows phone? I am not taking about a cheap one I am talking about the 930 or a 1020. I will give you just several examples - texting - texting on an android device is just painful and iPhone you should just give up even trying. The windows mobile OS is  by far the most efficient OS available and most secure based on many security experts. There is a reason if the windows OS runs rings around the android OS if you put it on the same hardware. There is also the camera my old 1020 still is better than the S6 I am required to use for work. The S6 is good but it is no 1020 and the 950 has an even better camera. Now if you need certain apps that is the only reason to get an android or Apple. There is also windows 10 mobile which is fantastic. There is also one other killer feature that no one else has called Continuum - that you can turn your windows phone into a pc and it really works even better than shown.

windows-10-continuum-shown-off-in-new-vi

I've used all three for texting and NONE of them are better or worse at it. The WP was an HTC One M8. 

Same can be said for Android and iOS. What have they got as platforms that Windows Phone doesn't? Don't play the app card though because that's a store limitation not a platform limitation.

The Lumia 640 isn't a premium phone so I am sure the lowered quality will give you a bad impression. You can always get the imulator for free. Having said that, windows 10 mobile isn't that different than windows 10 tablet mode

I want to like it, but I've had a horrible experience early on with WP7. It got abandoned, and WP10 doesn't look all that promising. There is absolutely nothing promising on WM10 - app developers (banking apps and such) are abandoning ship, and Microsoft themselves give me no reason to migrate to WM10. I can reap all the benefits of their ecosystem on iOS and Android, so why bother moving to a platform that doesn't have apps, devices or feature parity? I'm sorry but as much as I want to root for MS, it's a DOA platform. 

I am playing with all 3 platforms at the moment and I have a huge list of reasons why I always go back to the windows device

If it works for you, that's awesome (Y). I love that MS releases the Office, Xbox, RDP apps on Android/iOS. Me personally, I'd rather use iOS and Android with Microsoft software/services. Hell, I can even get Cortana on Android! 

I want to like it, but I've had a horrible experience early on with WP7. It got abandoned, and WP10 doesn't look all that promising. There is absolutely nothing promising on WM10 - app developers (banking apps and such) are abandoning ship, and Microsoft themselves give me no reason to migrate to WM10. I can reap all the benefits of their ecosystem on iOS and Android, so why bother moving to a platform that doesn't have apps, devices or feature parity? I'm sorry but as much as I want to root for MS, it's a DOA platform. 

UWP is the killer feature. As desktop users continue migrating to Windows 10 (and let's be honest, with the November update it's performing better than both 7 and 8.1), they're building an insanely large userbase. Developers are then basically offered to target tablet, Xbox, Continuum and mobile users with next to no effort. I mean, it's easy to complain right now, because Universal Apps and things like Continuum are in their infancy, but if you look at the bigger picture, they're doing the right thing. It won't happen over night, but it is happening, and it's a great incentive for developers. Just look at Viber, right now, they're supporting three different apps for Windows (legacy desktop, RT app for Windows 8 desktop/tablets, and a WP app). With UWP, they can cut down their development effort to two models (Universal and legacy desktop for Windows 7 users), while at the same time opening the doors to new platforms at no cost.

The second thing is that Microsoft is promising that Windows 10 will get timely updates on mobile. If they manage to pull that one off, they'll be solving a major gripe Android users have with their phones - lack of support. As I said, I used (and enjoyed to a large part) Android, but sooner or later, you're left on your own, chasing ROMs because the phone manufacturers usually give up on supporting the phone as soon as they release it.

Other things, like performance, design language etc, that will surely be refined and improved in time. So as easy it is to complain (and I do it as much as the next guy, especially when Microsoft pulls stunts like releasing unfinished software or rebooting their platforms every second year), I still think it's far from DOA. If they ride this one through, they have a good shot at entering the market imo. This is what they should have been doing with W8, but better late than never.

All the benchmarks in this review were browser based

and the graphics benchmark is bs. the software gives bogus results. my 1520 gets such a low score comparable to those cheap disposable android phones, yet realworld graphics rendering in games is better than other android phones with the same snapdragon chipset.

Not trying to troll, I just don't see what is so compelling about Windows phones. I just don't know what about them would jingle someones jangles.

I mean sure for $30 I would buy a Lumia 640 to play with and to experiment on.

Aside from the lovely camera, I was almost sort of glad when I broke my 930.  Much much happier with my Nexus 6! :p

Plenty of cheap models, updated for years, UI is usually always responsive and applications can't install useless and irritating background services. When the alternatives at the same price are some Samsung Super Mini Neo Trinity Morpheus Déjà vu edition that will likely never be updated or some chinaphones the Lumias seem a pretty reasonable alternative. But I would never ever buy a phone without ad-blocking, especially with those awesome network operators we have here in Italy that would sell their souls to have users end up subscripted to premium SMS services.

Erm, yes they can. Go look at the universal application samples for windows 10, half of them have foreground methods and background methods for the examples.

True there is a limited number of things they can access and do in the background, but they can do things in the background none-the-less.

Erm, yes they can. Go look at the universal application samples for windows 10, half of them have foreground methods and background methods for the examples. True there is a limited number of things they can access and do in the background, but they can do things in the background none-the-less.

They can run all the time they want in background now? I thought those were limited to handling notifications/events. Oh well, at least Windows has a way to disable only the background part, on Android I have to disable the entire applications to get rid of the services (unless I root, or terminate them every time).

hmm I stopped reading when the reviewer said he can't even make a benchmark because the screen is shutting down every 5 minutes. I can't seem to take this guy seriously. too lazy to go to the settings and change it to "never". clearly, the author/reviewer wasn't as knowledgeable to what he was reviewing - maybe he just don't use Microsoft products at all as what he's profile is saying and considering the insider was available a long time ago.

peter bright is trolling.

Smartphones have always been more about what people want rather than need so...

The difference is with more sites going HTML5 and more apps being glorified sites in a web browser, they're going to matter significantly less as time goes on. 

(Yes, I recognize that time is not yet.  But it is definitely happening.)

Not trying to troll, I just don't see what is so compelling about Windows phones. I just don't know what about them would jingle someones jangles.

I mean sure for $30 I would buy a Lumia 640 to play with and to experiment on.

No top end android phone comes even close to matching my old lumia 1020 for the camera. An while I like my current xperia, when I pick up the lumia again it feels so much better to use, everything is smooth, nice and works, there's no fuss, information is there where you need it all the time. 

To use an old Apple slogan, it just works. sure the xperia may currently have more "power" in some ways, but, I don't ever use it. I don't care for or play much mobile games, and when I do, there's more than enough of them to keep me entertained on windows phone. and everything else just works works better on WP. I can't tweak and customize and all that as much, but I don't need to.  

And there's some things that are just stupidly designed on Android, like folder and SD folder permissions. inconsistent cross application functions. some apps will be able to log in through the FB app, others will insist on bringing up the FB web login windows with tiny text and crap. it feels much less planned out and badly designed. 

I like Android, it's just like linux, fun to play around with, can be tweaked a lot, but if you just want to use it for what it's meant to. it's not that great or efficient, 

And as a bonus, the 1020 doesn't try to burn my hand off for playing simple 2D games, or other simple stuff. whereas the androids, have all decided to fire up the CPU to 100% eating battery even when you just need 2% of it. 

I like Android, it's just like linux, fun to play around with, can be tweaked a lot, but if you just want to use it for what it's meant to. it's not that great or efficient,

Personally, while I enjoy a good camera, it's not the end all for a phone. I would much rather have applications available to me when I want them.  I will admit that my investment in the goggle service ecosystem does influence my choice of operating system.

My LG G3 has a nice camera, obviously not as good as that windows phone camera but good enough to whip it out of my pocket and take a decent photo

18623945793_b055ce6d8e.jpg

As far as using android for what it's meant to, it is great and efficient.

Edited by warwagon

hmm I stopped reading when the reviewer said he can't even make a benchmark because the screen is shutting down every 5 minutes. I can't seem to take this guy seriously. too lazy to go to the settings and change it to "never". clearly, the author/reviewer wasn't as knowledgeable to what he was reviewing - maybe he just don't use Microsoft products at all as what he's profile is saying and considering the insider was available a long time ago.

peter bright is trolling.

He tried that already, the "never" setting isn't there for him.

Is that why no one uses the actual android dialer and messaging clients. every OEM replaces it with their own better versions. Any uses with some knowledge replaces that again with another one of their choice along with the launcher. 

doesn't say "works great and efficient" to me. it says "needs replacement". 

Is that why no one uses the actual android dialer and messaging clients. every OEM replaces it with their own better versions. Any uses with some knowledge replaces that again with another one of their choice along with the launcher. 

doesn't say "works great and efficient" to me. it says "needs replacement". 

On the flip side you can replace the stock dialer and messaging application  and launcher to what ever you want. I love pure android but recently put on a modified stock LG rom for my phone and I actually really like it.

A lot of the pure stuff is great, but at the same time some of the modifications LG has made in a few area's are also kind of nice..

But i'm not going to Lie, if the Nexus 6p had an Micro SD card slot, I would have probably gotten one. The thought of monthly updates along with a finger print reader, Jingles my Jangles.

Edited by warwagon

Or you can simply have a superior 1st party experience.  That you have so elevated the need for 3rd party 'apps' makes it hard to take you seriously.

I generally disagree with this review now that I have one.  He diminishes the pros, and exaggerates the cons.  Benchmarks, really?

I wouldn't.  Had the 640 for two weeks and sent it back.  Not even worth $30

Everyone kept saying "you dont need mega hardware for windows" yet it ran like an absolute dog

doubt it.

Runs fine on a 521 over here. Hit the insider program on it, it upgraded it from Cyan to Denim, rebooted and complete that, then checked for updates and it popped 15856.11 on it. Only problem was the store erred on upgrading a few of the 3rd party apps, but uninstall and re-download from the store and things are fine. Some apps are a little slow to start, but they were also that on 8.1. Does what's needed, and does it well.

He tried that already, the "never" setting isn't there for him.

I have investigated and this "timeout" problem falls on at&t's installed build. somehow some settings like the lockscreen timeout and double tap to wake is missing from the latest build for 950. the problem doesn't exist though on the most recent build of w10m (insider). the first batch of 950 got an old build signed by at&t and I assumed they went that way as they have not certified the new build. when w10m hits the public on december, 950s will surely be updated and will rock the same build as anybody have - let's see if this still persist.

Your post kind of highlights my personal impression of the so called app gap. It is highly subjective and depends on the user. I think most people have what they need on Windows Phone.

For you, apps are more important than a good camera
For me, camera is more important than lots of apps

I care more about a good camera because I take at least one photo a day whereas I think I have deposited like 1-2 checks using the (now missing) Bank of America app.

Personally, while I enjoy a good camera, it's not the end all for a phone. I would much rather have applications available to me when I want them.  I will admit that my investment in the goggle service ecosystem does influence my choice of operating system.

My LG G3 has a nice camera, obviously not as good as that windows phone camera but good enough to whip it out of my pocket and take a decent photo

18623945793_b055ce6d8e.jpg

Your post is a perfect example of why the app gap is exaggerated when discussing Windows Phone.

For you, apps are more important than a camera in smartphone.
For me, camera is lot more important than apps.
I don't care for banking apps because the only real use of the Bank of America app for me was when I deposited 1-2 checks using it when the app was available. That's not much in 2-3 years the app was in the store.
In contrast, I constantly shoot photos (at least 2-3 per day) using my phone. Android cameras are barely getting there now and 950 leaves them(and iPhone) in the dust again. 

• Like 2

apps apps apps apps apps apps apps

What kind of apps? Games? I'll pass. Windows Phone has the apps I need. As someone who doesn't need eleventy billion apps, that's not really a compelling argument.