US teen Ahmed Mohamed, arrested for clock bomb, now wants $15m compensation

HOSTON: The family of Ahmed Mohamed, the Texas teenager who was arrested after a teacher mistook his homemade clock for a bomb, has demanded USD 15 million in compensation and written apologies from Irving city's mayor and police chief, their lawyers have said.

An attorney for the family wrote in letters published by the local media seeking USD 10 million in damages from the city of Irving, Texas, and USD 5 million from the local school district, adding that they will file a civil suit if they do not receive a reply within 60 days.

Ahmed's family, which moved to Qatar after accepting a foundation's offer to pay for the teen's education, argued in the letter that the boy's reputation had been "permanently scarred". The incident caused "severe psychological trauma" to the teen, the letter said, adding that he and his family suffered physical and mental anguish.

In September, ninth-grader Ahmed had brought a digital clock, made from a pencil case, to his school in Irving to show it to his teacher who mistook the device to be a bomb. Hours later, he was handcuffed and arrested by law enforcement officers as part of "standard procedure".

The 14-year-old became an overnight sensation after his sister tweeted a photo of the aspiring inventor standing in handcuffs while wearing a t-shirt emblazoned with the logo of US space agency NASA.

Source

Wow, that boys father is really trying to milk it even more then I thought was humanly possible.

He is a wannabe politician though, so his standards are clearly different to mine.

Wow!  I was rooting for this kid when that happened to correct this injustice he had a great future it seemed, got his 15min of fame, support from people all over & some freebies from Microsoft. Now they want to be greedy and turn it into a payday (that makes me lose even more faith in humanity!)

is now demanding $15 million and apologies for the boy’s “scarred reputation.” 

What reputation? He was some ######wit student. 

This got turned real stupid real fast.

Isn't he in like Qatar or something now with a scholarship? I think the way he was treated was unfair, but it hardly resulted in a scarred rep.

Yeah.  The kid is definitely scarred for life.

Ahmed Mohamed when asked in an interview after the incident if he felt like an ordinary kid:

"Right now I don't feel that way. I feel like... I feel like I could do so much. And, part of what I want to do is help those who can't help themselves".

I guess maybe he's going to donate the 15 mil to charities???

I would actually be okay with it if his parent's couldn't touch a single cent of it because they're clearly the ones who are pushing it. It probably would have never entered into the kids brain if not for them.

Wow!  I was rooting for this kid when that happened to correct this injustice he had a great future it seemed, got his 15min of fame, support from people all over & some freebies from Microsoft. Now they want to be greedy and turn it into a payday (that makes me lose even more faith in humanity!)

Yup! He's a True American™ alright! :p

• Like 3

I believe he was treated unfairly. However, this is just being greedy now. I am not going to blame the kid, I think the parents are to blame here for pushing this. In any event, I very much doubt that this family will win the case.

I believe he was treated unfairly. However, this is just being greedy now. I am not going to blame the kid, I think the parents are to blame here for pushing this. In any event, I very much doubt that this family will win the case.

If I were him, I would demand a public apology from the school, but this demand for money is absolutely greedy-talk.

• Like 2

What scarred his reputation was evidence in photos of the device that he didn't actually build the clock circuit at all. He simply disassembled an old Radio Shack digital clock and re-cased it. That's a somewhat lower skill set.

Ahmed's family, which moved to Qatar after accepting a foundation's offer to pay for the teen's education, argued in the letter that the boy's reputation had been "permanently scarred.
  • Like 3

What scarred his reputation was evidence in photos of the device that he didn't actually build the clock circuit at all. He simply disassembled an old Radio Shack digital clock and re-cased it. That's a somewhat lower skill set.

Right, but keep in mind Microsoft gave the kid a Surface Pro and free subscription to Office 365. He's increased his skill set.

homemade_surfacepro3_clock.png