No Plans to Bring Dead or Alive Xtreme 3 West, Developer Koei Tecmo Fears Backlash

No Plans to Bring Dead or Alive Xtreme 3 West, Developer Koei Tecmo Fears Backlash
By: Brandon Orselli On November 24, 2015, 7:48 am EDT @brandonorselli

Previously, we've been reporting on Dead or Alive Xtreme 3 with the hope that Koei Tecmo would eventually announce a western localization for the game – the publisher even teased the possibility if fans demanded it enough.
Now, we're hearing a different story, if the community manager for the company is anything to go by. As spotted by some of our fans, the developer was seen responding to a fan inquiring for the game's western release, over on their official Facebook.
"We do not bring DOAX3 to the west and won't have any plan change in the future. Thank you for asking," said Koei Tecmo, when asked if the game would be coming west.
The developer continued with a very troubling and foreboding message, as if our greatest fears are literally coming true regarding moral outrage and games being censored or abandoned:

•  "Do you know many issues happening in video game industry with regard to how to treat female in video game industry? We do not want to talk those things here. But certainly we have gone through in last year or two to come to our decision. Thank you."

This is a stark contrast to what we've seen Koei Tecmo do previously, i.e. put out flagrantly violent and or sexualized games with little to no comment on how the outrage police in the west perceive said games.
I've reached out to Koei Tecmo's PR in the hopes of getting some clarification, and I'll update this article should I receive any.

http://nichegamer.com/2015/11/no-plans-to-bring-dead-or-alive-xtreme-3-west-developer-koei-tecmo-fears-backlash/ 

What they really don't want, is for the game to flop and lose a ton of money, that's what they're really saying.

It is already a finished game. Slapping an English cover on it and putting on sale should be cheap. It is definitely less than a million dollars.

What they really don't want, is for the game to flop and lose a ton of money, that's what they're really saying.

Pretty much, the last game only sold like 500k copies in total.

What's interesting is that they said a few months back that the game was going to be exclusive to Asian markets, now it's apparently about how Western markets view women. Reminds me of "Hared" where it seems half their marketing was designed just to buy into "outrage culture" (Like when they claimed the game had been censored/banned in Australia, when instead it turned out they just didn't want to sell it here). Even then the games aren't region locked, so people can just import it anyway.

What's interesting is that they said a few months back that the game was going to be exclusive to Asian markets, now it's apparently about how Western markets view women. Reminds me of "Hared" where it seems half their marketing was designed just to buy into "outrage culture" (Like when they claimed the game had been censored/banned in Australia, when instead it turned out they just didn't want to sell it here). Even then the games aren't region locked, so people can just import it anyway.

Only reason I care in the first place is because of SJWs

http://www.breitbart.com/tech/2015/11/25/best-boycott-ever-dead-or-alive-xtreme-3-more-popular-than-ever/

• 1 month later...
On 26/11/2015 at 6:26 AM, The_Decryptor said:

Hatred was actually removed from steam greenlight, and only reinstated due to gamer backlash, and the team were perfectly honest about their decision to pull it in australia. The team never claimed it was banned in Australia, they simply said they chose to pull it because they knew it would be banned.

The developers of doax3 explicitly stated they wouldn't be bringing the game to the west because of feminists droning on about depiction of women in games, given the interference of SJWs in gaming it wasn't a false move. Pretending moves like this are done in a vacuum is at best ignorant and at worst dishonest. Whether you admit it or not SJWs are having a negative impact on the industry.

"SJWs" are imaginary boogeymen that people on the internet like to complain about, they're a strawmen at best.

If they actually existed, and had some form of power over the gaming industry (Or film industry, sci fi books, toys, etc.), don't you think they would have gone after more popular games than Hatred and DOAX? Neither of which have been censored or banned in any fashion, yet both of which haven't done well sales wise (Interesting how these mythical "SJWs" only ever seem to go after bad selling games...)

3 hours ago, The_Decryptor said:

"SJWs" are imaginary boogeymen that people on the internet like to complain about, they're a strawmen at best.

If they actually existed, and had some form of power over the gaming industry (Or film industry, sci fi books, toys, etc.), don't you think they would have gone after more popular games than Hatred and DOAX? Neither of which have been censored or banned in any fashion, yet both of which haven't done well sales wise (Interesting how these mythical "SJWs" only ever seem to go after bad selling games...)

Oh, but these mythical boogeymen do go after more popular games, like Divinity: Original Sin for example.

http://blogjob.com/oneangrygamer/2015/03/divinity-original-sin-dev-talks-boob-plates-sexism-and-moral-outrage/

7 hours ago, The_Decryptor said:

I don't doubt they're a thing, but I definitely don't mind that people are talking about stupid things suddenly instead of just letting everything pass.  That's not to say they're all right or wrong but as a general rule I've seen a lot of stupid ###### in games that has been improving lately.

As for DoAX3 - This is the developer that released a PC version of 'DoA5LR' that they coded when it was DoA5 Ultimate (IIRC) and decided not to release it until now and couldn't be bothered to actually add the new engine, maps, or characters.  Expecting anything from these guys to make any sense would be too much for me.

14 hours ago, Luc2k said:

Oh, but these mythical boogeymen do go after more popular games, like Divinity: Original Sin for example.

http://blogjob.com/oneangrygamer/2015/03/divinity-original-sin-dev-talks-boob-plates-sexism-and-moral-outrage/

“#GamerGate has been slandered in the media and defamed by Wikipedia. It’s no surprise given that consumers are going directly after the media outlets that they feel have failed in their job of being ethical and pro-consumer.”

wow, this article is off to a great start so far. Odd definition of "defamed" though, never knew it meant providing correct information.

Just now, The_Decryptor said:

“#GamerGate has been slandered in the media and defamed by Wikipedia. It’s no surprise given that consumers are going directly after the media outlets that they feel have failed in their job of being ethical and pro-consumer.”

wow, this article is off to a great start so far. Odd definition of "defamed" though, never knew it meant providing correct information.

Just read the interview and the blog post of the artist/animator. Should have known not to go with the first google article as you'd get hung up on the introduction.

On 04/01/2016 at 7:17 AM, The_Decryptor said:

I think you're just living in a bubble of wilful ignorance. They have gone after AAA games. The developers of AC: Unity took a load of flak for not including female assassins, and they got GTAV banned from Kmart and Target in Australia. It's clear you know nothing whatsoever about the gaming industry.