Anyone have the Windows 10 November update uninstall any of your programs?

21 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

Thats my point. It is probably reading the version of the app installed which is probably kept in the registry, is reading from a database showing it may not be Windows 10 compatible, and removing it to be safe. If it was just a dat, ini and exe file, it would not have been removed.

Only one person so far has admitted that their CPU-Z version was out of date. That is probably why. Should MS be more vocal about why its happening? You bet.

For the sake of beating this CPU-Z to death ... I still do not buy it.  May not be Windows 10 compatible ... but Microsoft needs to watch their step.  Uninstalling programs just because it isn't in their database could lead to other programs (such as mission critical) being uninstalled without the user aware until they go to launch it.  It is compounded more that now these updates are basically forced/delayed.  Sure, CPU-Z can be reinstalled but what happens when x program which a business (or a regular consumer) relies on gets wiped out.  I do not recall previous version of Windows  uninstalling programs (obviously some refuse to run after service packs because of compatibility) but now Microsoft is just uninstalling without the end user permission? 

Anyway, CPU-Z v 1.02 from 2000 runs just fine (albeit doesn't detect the correct hardware due to programs age) on Windows 10.  Compatibility eh?

Capture.JPG

• Like 1

Hello,

Does CPU-Z install a device driver (NDIS, filter, or any other kind of IOCTL driver)?  Another possibility is that it might make use of undocumented API calls or private data structures which changed between the 10240 and 10586 builds.  In that it could  then be incompatible.

Or, it could have been like the issue my employer's software had with the Windows 10 Build 10586 (aka TH2 or v1511) version:  Windows simply didn't recognize all the different versions which are compatible with 10586 as being compatible with it, i.e., the Windows 10 Build 10586 upgrade process had a false positive alarm.

The good news, though, is that Microsoft has the ability to patch this kind of stuff dynamically.  If Windows 10's upgrade program is allowed to connect to the Internet, it can download an new list of compatible applications/versions which removes them from the internal blacklist.

I am hoping the Build 10586.14 upgrade released over the long Thanksgiving weekend to address the privacy issues in the upgrade process also fixes the various issues with compatible applications being incorrectly flagged and removed as incompatible. 

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

7 hours ago, oldtimefighter said:

What? Some of these programs can't be blocking the installation of Windows. CPU-Z?

I know you are the official Microsoft apologist but come on... You are saying Bitdefender Total Security 2016 is not compatible with Windows 10? CPU-Z? The issue is the Windows upgrade process... Remember we are not just talking about going from Windows 7 to 10 (that I could understand in some cases) but also just installing the November update. All the OS needs to do is give the user a warning so-so program may not be working anymore and check with the vendor for an update.

I don't think you guys are getting it still.  Windows should not be uninstalling software. Why did my original NVIDIA driver remain intact?  If anything should have been removed, it should have been that.  Not RSAT or CPU-Z or anything like that.  Why does it matter if Software X is using system files and will not be compatible?  When you try to launch Program X, it will error out because Program X is not compatible.  Program X will not prevent the OS from updating because it upgrades those system files as well.

14 minutes ago, xWhiplash said:

I don't think you guys are getting it still.  Windows should not be uninstalling software. Why did my original NVIDIA driver remain intact?  If anything should have been removed, it should have been that.  Not RSAT or CPU-Z or anything like that.  Why does it matter if Software X is using system files and will not be compatible?  When you try to launch Program X, it will error out because Program X is not compatible.  Program X will not prevent the OS from updating because it upgrades those system files as well.

http://www.eightforums.com/bsod-crashes-debugging/5467-cpu-z-hwmonitor-will-freeze-win8-my-machine.html

It's from Windows 8 but there apparently are issues with utilities like this. There always are when they hook into OS functions. If something is injected as a device driver and isn't compatible it will result in an unbootable system.

That said, I still believe this is either a bug or something about the way the affected applications are installed resulting in the upgrade process not detecting them and moving them to the new folders.

I'm not on the upgrade nor app compat team and can't speak to their communication nor anything else.

CPU-Z and Speccy had the same serious issue.  I believe at least CPUZ is currently working with the app compat team.

I don't know anything at all about the issue. For any further questions of any nature, I'd suggest following up with CPUZ.

I have it on 4 computers. Only one computer had a problem. The problem was: I had major slowdowns. I would click a program, no matter which one and would look at the animated circle for 6 minutes before said program would open. I checked resource monitor and found it to be the msmpeng.exe. Which turned out to be the MS Security Essentials/Windows Defender. I run 360 Security Essentials which turns the WD off. For some reason after the update it reactivated the WD in which was taking up huge amounts of Hard Drive resources by way of scanning (it listed each file scanned in resource monitor). To fix, I updated 360 and with that, it turned the WD off again and i am running smoothly once again.