windows 7 ultimate windows update fails

Hello

its been a few years since my last visit.  like myself I had a computer sitting on the shelf. i built it updated it and put it back in the box. i noticed it today and decided i needed to update it and it will not let me.  at first it would give an error and would not check for updates. I did a restore from the image i made before i reboxed it and now it will check for updates but i get the error

windows can not check for updates error 80070003E

1. i tried the fix it tool (it cant fix 80070003E)

same error

2. i cleared the update cache / download

same error

3. I turned BITs and windows update on and off

same error

4. scanned system files

no error found

5. installed system update readiness tool 

no errors found in the checkSUR.log

thank you

0x80070003 (2015-11-29-T-01_09_11P)

if any one has a clue as to what i should do?  in one of the many logs i checked it says its connecting to update.  it will check and after about 5 minutes i get that blasted error. i have not trouble shot a computer in several years just to sick to do it.  i remembered more than i thought and it has not served me on my first issue out of the gate

22 minutes ago, alphamale said:

2. i cleared the update cache / download

same error

Are you referring to the download folder within software distribution? (C>Windows>Software Distribution>Downloads)

(this usually fixes most update errors)

I have limited experience here, as the only one win7 computer I've ever seen with a similar problem had a corrupted file, and that owner nuked his system and reinstalled (and has been fine since)

Windows key + R  (or in the start menu search box) ... type services.msc and press enter.

Look to see if you have the service  "windows management instrumentation" .. or if it's missing.

zendrome nice fix but no correction it did all the things i did at once. thanks

adheer.r.s yes that was the folder i was referring

+warwagon yes i have that services and it was active for the iphelper and security center

thanks to all

+warwagon i of course stopped and start wmi and then checked for updates again.

its still checking which is a great sign. i am going to bed and will check on it monday.  all the clearing that was done it could be taking it a while.  will report the result

again thanks

I remember this being an issue to others.  It happened to me a couple months ago when I was prepping a system for an eventual Win10 upgrade.

I think I had to uninstall a KB update.  Im sorry I cant remember which one, but maybe a google will point you in the right direction if it hasnt worked overnight.

Thanks a bunch for everyones input. seems like +warwagon gets the gold chalice for the WMI. He mentioned it and I refreshed it and tried again and it checked for updates and kept checking. I came back this morning and i had a bunch to install. That was super.

with the mention in the log of windows update connecting successfully to windows update it might have been one of wmi's dependencies that was the actual fault ending in the repeated errors of 0x80070003, 80070003e and 80070003.

Really appreciate the help. I hope this is worded well enough to help when someone is searching for a solution.

• 2 months later...

hello

this is not a joke, its happened again...different computer. 

with chrome closing down vista soon i pulled a laptop off the shelve that I had been saving and as time went on just ignored to use as my daily driver to check email and such. it is a t61 with win7 pro. last updated august 2015 when it had been turned on updated and turned off, a yearly ritual. 10 days ago i turn it on and checked for updates and it would just spin. i checked all the usual suspects and used a couple of online tools including installing the old windows resource kit with subinacl and the windows readiness tool will not install/run and re-installed windows update and over the week made no headway on any front. zero, zilch.

i remembered this thread and came back yesterday to re-read it and re-traced my steps here. this morning when i got up laptop was still checking for updates except this time there was also  a tray notice there were new updates available...but again, at the same time, the update window still shows it checking, but NOT finding updates. so after no progress for 10 days, it is now at least appears  to be connecting with the mothership.

I covered the harddrive health, computer health running two offline scanners, etc. again its been off. no way something could have happened to it. more recently I feel the longer a computer has been off grid the more likely i am to run into update issues and will adjust my behavior. in my personal life i use a computer to simply check email, look up product info and upload/retreive scanned doc's to Drive/onedrive,box. nothing else ever. the abundance of computers are left overs this old t61 is like a time capsule even the battery is in a new state, so its like new.

if someone has run up on something more recently that i could check i would be grateful. i bet win10 upgrades could pose problems but this ones been off. nothing refused or tweaked to keep them out which could messed with windows update.

thank you

I do think there appears to be loads of issues Microsoft's end regarding updates.

Yesterday at work, it was taking literally hours and hours for Windows 7 (all flavours) to check for updates.

Was an absolute pain in the butt, this was the same on about ~10 Windows 7 PCs.

On ‎22‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 1:43 AM, alphamale said:

thanks that was helpful. maybe there is an issue there. its been about 24 hours and its still at it. if that error was not there i would feel better. 

Your welcome!

How has it been since? Any improvement?

There's a specific update for the Windows Update client which should resolve the slow update issue. Install that first, then do the rest of the updates which should go through much faster.

Also, I thought the topic meant there's an ultimate windows update :p

On 2/21/2016 at 9:38 AM, alphamale said:

hello

this is not a joke, its happened again...different computer. 

with chrome closing down vista soon i pulled a laptop off the shelve that I had been saving and as time went on just ignored to use as my daily driver to check email and such. it is a t61 with win7 pro. last updated august 2015 when it had been turned on updated and turned off, a yearly ritual. 10 days ago i turn it on and checked for updates and it would just spin. i checked all the usual suspects and used a couple of online tools including installing the old windows resource kit with subinacl and the windows readiness tool will not install/run and re-installed windows update and over the week made no headway on any front. zero, zilch.

i remembered this thread and came back yesterday to re-read it and re-traced my steps here. this morning when i got up laptop was still checking for updates except this time there was also  a tray notice there were new updates available...but again, at the same time, the update window still shows it checking, but NOT finding updates. so after no progress for 10 days, it is now at least appears  to be connecting with the mothership.

I covered the harddrive health, computer health running two offline scanners, etc. again its been off. no way something could have happened to it. more recently I feel the longer a computer has been off grid the more likely i am to run into update issues and will adjust my behavior. in my personal life i use a computer to simply check email, look up product info and upload/retreive scanned doc's to Drive/onedrive,box. nothing else ever. the abundance of computers are left overs this old t61 is like a time capsule even the battery is in a new state, so its like new.

if someone has run up on something more recently that i could check i would be grateful. i bet win10 upgrades could pose problems but this ones been off. nothing refused or tweaked to keep them out which could messed with windows update.

thank you

I'm guessing here but, I would recommend somehow downloading as many updates a possible and save them to a personal cloud server. I'm sure at some point MS will get rid of them and this way you can help yourself. best luck in getting this going and working