Bugs & things we are aware of for IPB 4.1

2 minutes ago, Raa said:

Any word on the old content/missing posts/low post count issue?

One of my colleagues may know something about this, but I don't... any chance you could tell me what the issue is?

16 minutes ago, Simon said:

One of my colleagues may know something about this, but I don't... any chance you could tell me what the issue is?

At some point after going 4.0 post counts dropped significantly.

More info from this thread : https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1271864-post-count-liked-posts/

But basically content isn't being counted somewhere, so can that be put on the list of things to look at please? :)

23 minutes ago, Boo Berry said:

What about the issue where avatars don't show up when you post comments on the front page? You have to refresh the page to see your avatar.

This is now fixed.

8 minutes ago, Raa said:

At some point after going 4.0 post counts dropped significantly.

More info from this thread : https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1271864-post-count-liked-posts/

But basically content isn't being counted somewhere, so can that be put on the list of things to look at please? :)

This could be as a result of our move from front page comments to forum-based comments. Any pre-IPB4 comments on the front page wouldn't be counted anymore. We're currently looking at possibly moving old comments into forum topics, for the purpose of keeping them around long-term, but it's not a priority right now, nor is it a particularly simple task. But I can tell you that your (RAA's) current post count does roughly reflect the number of posts we have in our database for your user ID - any discrepancies can likely be chalked up to posts that were deleted, or posts in topics that were deleted. 

23 minutes ago, Simon said:

This could be as a result of our move from front page comments to forum-based comments. Any pre-IPB4 comments on the front page wouldn't be counted anymore. We're currently looking at possibly moving old comments into forum topics, for the purpose of keeping them around long-term, but it's not a priority right now, nor is it a particularly simple task.

Yep, this would account for my post count, I have a significant amount of posts on the news comments. So if this can be done (at some point), it would be a good idea (in general). :)

Just now, Raa said:

Yep, this would account for my post count, I have a significant amount of posts on the news comments. So if this can be done (at some point), it would be a good idea.

Eventually we'll have to. I'm not a fan of taking discussion off the internet, ever, and the way we currently display old comments is by using the old code on old news articles, which isn't maintainable. But I'm sure you understand that we have bigger issues to address first ;)

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, techbeck said:

Also just noticed that when someone edits their post, does not say the post was edited.   Used to say when a person edited their post.

That's because the option is off as default. If you want to show it, then you tick that option before you submit the post.

2 minutes ago, TAZMINATOR said:

That's because the option is off as default. If you want to show it, then you tick that option before you submit the post.

Ahh, ok,  Was it on by default before?  Because I never ticked the option before and it showed when posts were edited.  I see that option now. 

Just now, techbeck said:

Ahh, ok,  Was it on by default before?  Because I never ticked the option before and it showed when posts were edited.

Yes in 4.0 ... which was so buggy....    you untick it if you don't want to show it.

In 3.x and this version of this forum (4.1 which we are on now) is off as default.

I must be the only one who uses the dark theme on the front page. Thank you for keeping it as an option. I would still read Neowin without it, but I greatly prefer it.

It seems that if you have the front page theme set to dark and then go to comment, the text is light grey in a white text field. Here in the forum, where it's only light with no dark theme, the text field is still white, or off white, with black text. That is fine. Light grey on white is hard on the eyes. Granted, I could open Notepad, type there, and copy and paste it over, but I probably shouldn't have to. 

Here's what it looks like: http://i.imgur.com/77sk9Rv.png

I made a topic about it Friday, but it hasn't gotten any responses.

37 minutes ago, techbeck said:

Also just noticed that when someone edits their post, does not say the post was edited.   Used to say when a person edited their post.

It defaults to unchecked for that option.

35 minutes ago, dragontology said:

I must be the only one who uses the dark theme on the front page. Thank you for keeping it as an option. I would still read Neowin without it, but I greatly prefer it.

It seems that if you have the front page theme set to dark and then go to comment, the text is light grey in a white text field. Here in the forum, where it's only light with no dark theme, the text field is still white, or off white, with black text. That is fine. Light grey on white is hard on the eyes. Granted, I could open Notepad, type there, and copy and paste it over, but I probably shouldn't have to. 

Here's what it looks like: http://i.imgur.com/77sk9Rv.png

I made a topic about it Friday, but it hasn't gotten any responses.

Fixed. (have been mostly keeping an eye on the main bug threads)

• Like 1

Confirmed, it's now black on white. (Would prefer light grey on black in keeping with the dark theme, but at least it's readable.) Thanks!

4 hours ago, techbeck said:

Ahh, ok,  Was it on by default before?  Because I never ticked the option before and it showed when posts were edited.  I see that option now. 

I have enabled a 5 minute grace period for edits, for typos.. after 5 minutes members can't untick the show edit checkbox (if it works as intended). This is because we don't have our 'grace period for edits' mod yet.

3 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

I have enabled a 5 minute grace period for edits, for typos.. after 5 minutes members can't untick the show edit checkbox (if it works as intended). This is because we don't have our 'grace period for edits' mod yet.

Steven, 

If I were you, I wouldn't do that.  Because Neowin will lose members because of this. As you see Neowin has gone downhill since 3.x.   

Let the members tick it or not whether they want to use the edited tag line or not.  

If you want to keep the members , then disable that grace period. 

We we didn't have the grace period in the old versions.  

Think about it.  

@TAZMINATOR we have always had a 'grace period' , the fact that no members even saw or realised it means we did a good job there, so I doubt this visible change will be the result of a Neopocalypse.

Thanks for your feedback though.

8 hours ago, Simon said:

This is now fixed.

This could be as a result of our move from front page comments to forum-based comments. Any pre-IPB4 comments on the front page wouldn't be counted anymore. We're currently looking at possibly moving old comments into forum topics, for the purpose of keeping them around long-term, but it's not a priority right now, nor is it a particularly simple task. But I can tell you that your (RAA's) current post count does roughly reflect the number of posts we have in our database for your user ID - any discrepancies can likely be chalked up to posts that were deleted, or posts in topics that were deleted. 

Well I lost somewhere bwteeen 1000 and 2000 posts in 4.0 upgrade.  I don't really care about post count in general though, but I was getting close to that t-shirt;)

4 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

@TAZMINATOR we have always had a 'grace period' , the fact that no members even saw or realised it means we did a good job there, so I doubt this visible change will be the result of a Neopocalypse.

Thanks for your feedback though.

No we didn't.  We had edit grace period for editing posts but not for tick/untick option.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, TAZMINATOR said:

Steven, 

If I were you, I wouldn't do that.  Because Neowin will lose members because of this. As you see Neowin has gone downhill since 3.x.   

Let the members tick it or not whether they want to use the edited tag line or not.  

If you want to keep the members , then disable that grace period. 

We we didn't have the grace period in the old versions.  

Think about it.  

in the past the grace period where simply wether it showed edited by or not, no tick box. untill the second no edit possible grace period. 

Yeah it is my preference that we restore that post count, it's never good practice to drop a years old feature like that @Simon is aware of this, but like he said already it isn't an easy task that is done in 5 minutes.