Same domain, different hosts for site and blog

Question

Hi!
We're using an old platform for our web shop that do not support havin' a blog. Nor will they create a folder and just dump a WP-install there for us to use. We are about to change to another platform but this transition takes time since it's a complex system interacting with our business system. But I wanna start a blog NOW to try and make some money on Christmas shoppers.

Since using example.com/domain is better SEO-vise, than using separate domains for shop and blog, I wonder if there are a way to achieve this. Could example.com point to 111.222.333.shop and example.com/blog point to 111.222.333.blog and Google treat them as one when it comes to search result ranking. Will the visitor only see example.com/blog or will they get "redirected" to ourblogdomain.com?

If I choose to go for a new, temporary, host for the blog, registering theblogforoursite.com, will this somehow damage our ranking if we in the future move the blog to example.com/blog and let theblogforoursite.com redirect there?

2 answers to this question

8 hours ago, Scarlettsu said:

Since using example.com/domain is better SEO-wise

Not true, it will pair your site with the new links and they may get index a little bit quicker but it would treat blog.example.com as a completely separate site (as it is) so it really depends on how you want your content to show up (products may be given equal priority in search as blog posts) but there's a lot of considerations that can affect what shows up in the engines.

That said, onto your question, you can't have /blog pointing to a separate server unfortunately, you'd be able to set up a redirect but not have everything appear in that directory. A sub domain would be your best option which means the post above would be worth checking out. No need to buy a whole new domain when you can just set a new A record on DNS and send it to a different IP.