NPD: PlayStation 4 outsold Xbox One in November

Sony and Microsoft went into the gift-giving holiday battle armed with deals and bundles, but only one console could come out on top.

And it wasn’t the Xbox One.

PlayStation 4 sold better than Xbox One in November in the United States, Sony has confirmed to GamesBeat. This is a big win for PlayStation, considering the Xbox One was the top-performing system in November 2014. But Sony obviously took this holiday seriously with an official price drop and several deals that enabled gamers to pick up the system (often packaged with a game or two) for only $300. Microsoft matched that price with its Gears of War Xbox One bundle, and it also had the season’s biggest exclusive in Rise of the Tomb Raider. But these obviously weren’t enough to eclipse the PlayStation 4.

We’ll have more coverage of the monthly gaming sales report from market research firm The NPD Group later today.

Here’s the full statement from Sony marketing boss Eric Lempel:

“PlayStation 4 is the top-selling console in the United States during the month of November, according to NPD. We have hit several key milestones over the last few weeks. Prior to Black Friday, we announced we have sold through more than 30.2 million PS4s to consumers around the world and that PS4 continues to exhibit the fastest growth in PlayStation hardware history. In addition, Black Friday sales were the strongest in PlayStation history demonstrating more people game now than ever before. We are also pleased to announce November was the biggest month ever for PlayStation Store indicating  a strong digital marketplace complementing healthy retail sales.”

Source: http://venturebeat.com/2015/12/10/playstation-4-outsold-xbox-one-in-november/

Current rumoured NPD figures, 1.5m PS4, 1.2m XB1. Full NPD to follow...

edit: Software

1.) Call of Duty: Black Ops III (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3, PC)
2.) Fallout 4 (PS4, Xbox One, PC)
3.) Star Wars: Battlefront (PS4, Xbox One, PC)
4.) Madden NFL 16 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
5.) NBA 2K16 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
6.) FIFA 16 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
7.) Need For Speed (PS4, Xbox One)
8.) Halo 5: Guardians (Xbox One)
9.) Assassin’s Creed: Syndicate (PS4, Xbox One, PC)
10.) Just Dance 2016 (Wii, Wii U, 360, Xbox One, PS4, PS3)

Eeeek, no TR in sight... Instead we have Just Dance lol. TR numbers are rumoured to be ~200k (combined on 360 and One). That deal backfired...

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Audioboxer said:

Eeeek, no TR in sight... Instead we have Just Dance lol. TR numbers are rumoured to be ~200k (combined on 360 and One). That deal backfired...

Rumored up around 450k on X1 alone at this point.

http://cramgaming.com/rise-of-the-tomb-raider-sales-surpass-half-a-million-rumour-29242/

That said, the reboot was at 3.4m after a month.

NPD poster on GAF leaked the details

Similar to last month, I would now like to take the opportunity to release some data points from The NPD Group's U.S. Games Industry Sales (New Physical Sales Channel) report for November 2015.

Other data points will follow throughout the next few days as, like I said, I am very busy and can only be on NeoGAF for brief periods at this juncture.

Please keep in mind that The NPD Group tracks a 4-week month with a reporting period of 11/01/15 through 11/28/15.

Also, please read the following disclaimer:

NPD's monthly point-of-sale data reports on U.S. Games Industry sales occurring from new physical purchases at retail which is the largest channel for games sales, but does not represent 100% of industry sales; it does not account for consumer purchases made via digital distribution, used game sales, subscriptions, mobiles, rentals, or social network games. NPD's Games Market Dynamics: U.S. is issued quarterly and is NPD's official estimate of the consumer spend on the industry and it does include estimate of the size of these other monetization methods.

Sony Corp's 'PlayStation 4' took a commanding lead with 1539K units sold throughout the United States according to data from The NPD Group.

Microsoft Corp's 'Xbox One,' while still successful, was only up 5% year-over-year with 1296K.

Nintendo's 'Wii U' was far less successful. Wii U Hardware Unit Sales were only up 0.1% from November 2014, flatlining at 240K. Such flatlined demand for Nintendo's Wii U heralds its future demise because of its lackluster performance despite very cheap Black Friday discounts.

pjo3m77.png

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=188792408&postcount=2307

So 1.53m for PS4, 1.29m for XB1.

4 minutes ago, soniqstylz said:

Feel bad for the WiiU.  I haven't owned a Nintendo console since the NES, but damned if I haven't considered one for Mario Maker.

If you been looking for a great jrpg, Xenoblade Chronicles X. 

One of the best jrpg I've played in a long  time.  

One of the few games you *should* read the manual. 

• Xbox One is up over last November
  • Xbox One is up 9 out of the last 11 months
  • Xbox One had the best selling exclusives (Halo 5 and Tomb Raider)
  • Xbox One had the best selling third party game (Call of Duty Black Ops 3)
  • PS4 is up over last November
  • PS4 is down 6 of the last 11 months
  • PS4 is the best selling console, beating Xbox One and Wii U combined
  • PS4 sold the most third party games
6 hours ago, tomcoleman said:

why does this matter?

Don't like it, don't post or read in the thread.

10 hours ago, soniqstylz said:

Rumored up around 450k on X1 alone at this point.

http://cramgaming.com/rise-of-the-tomb-raider-sales-surpass-half-a-million-rumour-29242/

That said, the reboot was at 3.4m after a month.

On PS3, 360 and PC.

4 hours ago, soniqstylz said:

Feel bad for the WiiU.  I haven't owned a Nintendo console since the NES, but damned if I haven't considered one for Mario Maker.

I haven't owned a Nintendo console since the NES either. I REALLY wanted a SNES but as a child below the age required to get a job it just never happened.

I never even wanted one of their systems after the SNES (though I did play a fair amount of Mario Kart 64 and GoldenEye 007 in dorm rooms on other people's N64s) I've been in the PlayStation camp ever since. HOWEVER I have to say both Fire Emblem and Xenoblade Chronicles X look amazing... just not quite enough to get me to pull the trigger.  On the plus side at least the Wii U sales didn't go down year over year.  They've held at a steady 240 in November.

I really hope the NX is something special.  I don't know if I'll buy it but I really don't want consoles to turn into a two system race.  I'd like to see Nintendo at least come back and be competitive even if I don't personally end up getting one of their systems.

Nintendo's are great consoles, and their sales in general prove that. But other than Donkey Kong and Mario (which I both enjoy), I don't like most of the games they offer. I will say that I have never played Zelda, so I can't comment on that, other than I know it is a highly regarded franchise.

21 hours ago, Audioboxer said:

Source: http://venturebeat.com/2015/12/10/playstation-4-outsold-xbox-one-in-november/

Current rumoured NPD figures, 1.5m PS4, 1.2m XB1. Full NPD to follow...

edit: Software

Releasing on the same day as Fallout 4 didn't help.

33 minutes ago, Doli said:

Releasing on the same day as Fallout 4 didn't help.

Tomb Raider has always been a PC franchise that was moved to consoles, so as much as the low sales does confuse me I know I'm waiting for the PC version...probably not the only one.

16 minutes ago, randomevent said:

Tomb Raider has always been a PC franchise that was moved to consoles, so as much as the low sales does confuse me I know I'm waiting for the PC version...probably not the only one.

hmm I always considered it a PSX franchise and thus a console franchise.  Either way I plan on getting it next week when it goes on sale at Best Buy.  I think part of the reason it did so poorly was it wasn't strong enough to be a November release.  While it rated very highly, it was a stupid mistake on their part to release on the same day as Fallout and so close to Black Ops.  To the people who are hoping the game crashes because it didn't release on PS4 at the same time, for one that's horrible and second, it really wouldn't have made a difference.  There would have obviously been more sales, but I doubt it would have went over 500k, considering the release of all the other heavy hitters that month.  As much as PS4 users, even Sony, complained about the deal, you all are still going to end up with the definite version, likely with all the DLC.  Let this be yet another lesson to publishers that the months of January through August are available for release with minimal competition.  Rockstar releases their games in May and they never suffer.  This would have been a great summer exclusive game, rather than expecting it to put up massive numbers against Halo, COD, Battlefront, and Assassin's.

On a side note....I have SINNED!!! against the Xbox Nation.  I bought a Drake collection PS4.

8 minutes ago, macrosslover said:

hmm I always considered it a PSX franchise and thus a console franchise.

Apparently it was on the Saturn first, so it's none of the above!  haha...guess I was wrong tho.

http://tombraider.wikia.com/wiki/Tomb_Raider_(1996)

Cool tho :) I played those on PS3 before I traded it in.

If the X1 and PS4 were actually that different I might get the PS4, my PC is pretty nice though so I really don't need it.

21 minutes ago, randomevent said:

Apparently it was on the Saturn first, so it's none of the above!  haha...guess I was wrong tho.

http://tombraider.wikia.com/wiki/Tomb_Raider_(1996)

Cool tho :) I played those on PS3 before I traded it in.

If the X1 and PS4 were actually that different I might get the PS4, my PC is pretty nice though so I really don't need it.

I actually always thought of Tomb Raider as a Sega Saturn and PC franchise. Never a PS franchise. But now it seems more so an Xbox franchise.

I think some of you guys have a screw lose. A sega saturn series? (yes I know it was on it, but cmon) The majority of all it's sales have always come from PS. Fair enough the PS1 and PS2 dominated everything, but hey ho that's how it was back then and TR was born in that era. There's a reason the t-rex scene is heavily associated with the PS1 (helped by the t-rex tech demo coming before it).

Even if you want to discuss the modern era, the reboot sold better on the PS3 and PS4 (for remaster), and bookmark this post for a years time, but I bet the current game sells better on the PS4 even if it is a year late.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Audioboxer said:

I think some of you guys have a screw lose. A sega saturn series? (yes I know it was on it, but cmon) The majority of all it's sales have always come from PS. Fair enough the PS1 and PS2 dominated everything, but hey ho that's how it was back then and TR was born in that era. There's a reason the t-rex scene is heavily associated with the PS1 (helped by the t-rex tech demo coming before it).

Even if you want to discuss the modern era, the reboot sold better on the PS3 and PS4 (for remaster), and bookmark this post for a years time, but I bet the current game sells better on the PS4 even if it is a year late.

Was long associated with PS consoles (and PC) because of marketing -- remember the "where the boys are" commercial for TR2?

However, since CD took over development, it's been a XBox-geared franchise with exclusive DLC or timed-exclusive stuff each round, despite sales numbers.  Hell the first reboot didn't even appear on PS3 until the trilogy release.

I might actually be shocked if it sells well on PS4 this time, I and many other fans feel slighted.

On 10/12/2015, 23:25:22, Audioboxer said:

If I was MS, I would do the right thing and tear up that timed exclusive agreement. Absolute waste and total bomb of a release.

GG Sony on sales (Y)

6 minutes ago, Andrew said:

If I was MS, I would do the right thing and tear up that timed exclusive agreement. Absolute waste and total bomb of a release.

GG Sony on sales (Y)

If they hadn't helped pay for the game in the first place I'd see the point of that.

Might as well just let it play now.

Just now, randomevent said:

If they hadn't helped pay for the game in the first place I'd see the point of that.

Might as well just let it play now.

Or just let SE pay for it themselves and avoid the whole mess / dirty tactics to begin with :p

Where's Captain Hindsight when you need him..

It's rumoured SE actually frustrated MS a little. After the outcry they were quick to announce the PS4 copy coming the following year and then we see TR sent out to face FO4 which was a mistake, but the MS rumour revolves around a proposed lack of marketing from MS.

Either way hearsay, but you can understand why MS would be annoyed that an exclusive deal which was worded like a full on exclusive tactically ends up getting its PS4 copy announced very quickly afterwards.

Either way the whole thing was handled terribly by SE. Definitely a decision I do not think we'll see them make again, for any platform. Even if UC4 hit its target this year, TR has been around far longer and would have had a much better chance going up against UC, an exclusive, as a multiplatform title, than FO4, another multiplatform title. One which had a massive marketing campaign as well. Even on the PS4 I think it would have sold okay up against UC, as as much as I like UC, TR and Lara are still bigger household names.

28 minutes ago, randomevent said:

To me it just didn't look any different from the last game.  I'll play it, I'll enjoy it, but I never heard any reasons that it'd be any better this go.

Much bigger, much longer, full size tombs and challenge tombs, better graphics, more side missions, more collectibles, improved controls, more puzzles. The game is awesome.

3 minutes ago, Kvally said:

Much bigger, much longer, full size tombs and challenge tombs, better graphics, more side missions, more collectibles, improved controls, more puzzles. The game is awesome.

Cool.  I'm still waiting for the PC ver but good to know.

5 minutes ago, randomevent said:

Cool.  I'm still waiting for the PC ver but good to know.

The Microsoft Windows version should be solid. 60fps and maybe some 4K? I'm sure MS and Square will do a good job on it.