NPD: PlayStation 4 outsold Xbox One in November

On 12/11/2015 at 5:43 AM, tomcoleman said:

why does this matter?

My thoughts exactly, and it seems nobody knows. I would say console sales determine where exclusives go and such, but on the smartphone scene, Android as an OS has crushed Apple's iOS for years (the OS numbers are something like 84% in favor of the little green robot from Google, while Apple, Microsoft, and Blackberry divvy up the rest), but Apple still gets a metric boat load of exclusives. Including the Fallout game for something like 2 months. So, it might not be that.

I'm a PC gamer, and I'm not trying to crap on console guys. I'm really a gamer more than I'm tied to a platform, but when you have a gaming PC, the differences between the consoles start to look real trivial. But if it were up to me, I would never get an XB1. There's no appeal. Microsoft doesn't have any exclusive games I want. The PS4 is a nice looking box (I mean it's sexy as hell, how could you not want one under your TV?) and it has some great exclusives. And there are Japanese developers that hate Microsoft, so they won't even look at PC -or- Xbox. But they will develop for PlayStation, and even publish in America. Do you like anime? Your favorite series has a game on either PS2, PS3, PSP, or PS4. Fullmetal Alchemist and Dangan Ronpa come to mind. Attack on Titan should be getting a game soon. Hack Sign was on PS2. That four part game.

Sadly, we might get an XB1 simply because of Rockband. It's looking less and less likely though, but we got a 360 so my wife could play Rockband with her brother. They never played online, only locally. And then we bought over 1,000 songs. And of course now that Rockband 4 is on PS4 and XB1 only, you have to buy from the same console family to get your songs. And I understand why, it just means that while the consoles were more evenly matched last time, now we might have to settle for the lesser one. Though my wife has other hobbies now, such as pepakura (building a suit of armor from folded paper) and anime/manga. Maybe we will get a PS4 after all. But I'm personally fine with sticking with PC. But I would like a Blu-ray player, and there are some PS games I'd like to play.

If I'm being brutally honest with myself, PC gaming is not really worth it. Yeah, I get higher frame rates and shorter load times (and that's not even with an SSD), but when the game crashes and things don't want to work, and Windows is acting up? Sometimes I wish I was a console gamer. Fortunately, my next big upgrade is the video card. So, when it comes to be that I need a new graphics card (R9 280, 3GB GDDR5... should be a few years at least), maybe I'll buy a PS4 instead, and dump Windows for Linux. But who knows? Maybe Nintendo will remember what it means to play with power... super power. ;)

3 minutes ago, dragontology said:

But if it were up to me, I would never get an XB1. There's no appeal. Microsoft doesn't have any exclusive games I want. The PS4 is a nice looking box (I mean it's sexy as hell, how could you not want one under your TV?) and it has some great exclusives. And there are Japanese developers that hate Microsoft, so they won't even look at PC -or- Xbox. But they will develop for PlayStation, and even publish in America. Do you like anime? Your favorite series has a game on either PS2, PS3, PSP, or PS4. Fullmetal Alchemist and Dangan Ronpa come to mind. Attack on Titan should be getting a game soon. Hack Sign was on PS2. That four part game.

Kinda funny my ps4 never gets played unless its for Bloodborne. With Xbox having exclusives and playing all third party games on my pc my ps4 is gathering dust.

On 12/27/2015 at 7:31 AM, kaotic said:

Kinda funny my ps4 never gets played unless its for Bloodborne. With Xbox having exclusives and playing all third party games on my pc my ps4 is gathering dust.

Pffft, that's the only reason anyone needs a PS4 :p

On 12/27/2015 at 6:31 PM, kaotic said:

Funnily enough I bought an Xbox One and gave it to my nephew as I didn't play it (Not a halo fan and not very big on driving games so none of the forza games really appeal to me).

Also various other posters on this forum have mentioned that they use the Xbox One as a media device and rarely play games on it (maybe just an exclusive here or there) while the PS4 is the one that is utilized the most as a gaming machine.

But I guess it all depends on preference, I ended up giving my PS4 away also as I went to work overseas for a few months but ended up re-purchasing another when I got back.

Maybe when MS release a good version of Fable or bring out a decent exclusive other than something in the halo or forza series I will be interested in re-purchasing a Xbox One (And maybe their sales will increase?) but right now I am happy with just owning a PS4 and PC.

There are more games than just Killzone and Uncharted on the PS4. As for Driveclub, it's a bloody good racer. Clean and straight forward and more importantly, good fun.

1 minute ago, Polonium said:

There are more games than just Killzone and Uncharted on the PS4. As for Driveclub, it's a bloody good racer. Clean and straight forward and more importantly, good fun.

Just like there are more games than just Halo and Forza on Xbox, but you failed to point that out. And no, DriveClub is not a bloody good racer. It's an ok arcade racer, and has improved with time, but it's just average.

Who mentioned Xbox? I didn't. I picked up on your comment of just mentioning Killzone and Uncharted, and then slating DriveClub for being poor. Why even bring up the Xbox?

Just now, Polonium said:

Who mentioned Xbox? I didn't. I picked up on your comment of just mentioning Killzone and Uncharted, and then slating DriveClub for being poor. Why even bring up the Xbox?

Look at the post above mine. BTW, this is an NPD thread for Xbox and PS, so the Xbox and PS will be brought up.

The post above isn't relevant to what I was posting to you about... 

I'm quite aware the Xbox has more games than some give it credit for. I own both consoles and I'm happy with what they both offer.

1 minute ago, Polonium said:

I'm quite aware the Xbox has more games than some give it credit for. I own both consoles and I'm happy with what they both offer.

My post was more of a sarcastic reply to that poster. I own both and I too am happy with both. I know there is more than just UC and KZ. Though I do honestly think DC is average, but much improved since day one. They should have everyone "RE-review" the game, as I think it is is better than the 71 rating on metacritic.

25 minutes ago, Kvally said:

My post was more of a sarcastic reply to that poster. I own both and I too am happy with both. I know there is more than just UC and KZ. Though I do honestly think DC is average, but much improved since day one. They should have everyone "RE-review" the game, as I think it is is better than the 71 rating on metacritic.

Yes I picked up on the sarcastic mimicking nature of your post but personally I don't like driving games and would agree that Driveclub isn't very good but then again its not my genre. I know Gran Turismo sport is coming out next year on the PS4 and that has a huge following but then again still not a driving game fan.

I know there is more exclusives than just Halo but it is the biggest exclusive on the Xbox One. I also mentioned Forza and Fable, I didn't mention others like Ryse, Titanfall, gears of war, crackdown or quantum break because one is going multiplatform, some are not even out and the rest I am not interested in and also don't have a big following behind them.

In regards to the PS4 the only exclusive I've been into was Infamous and Uncharted looks okay so might pick that up eventually and for future releases its Street Fighter which will be a PS exclusive for some reason and Tekken.

But otherwise I mostly play multi-platform games which just run better on the PS4 compared to the Xbox One and am also keen to try out VR when its released next year for the PS4.

I'd like to see the USA numbers. I've been on the fence for over a year and bought an X1 on Black Friday. I'm also waiting to buy TR on PC, and may double up and get it on X1. I haven't even hooked up the X1 as I'm waiting for the DVR functionality in 2016, but I also bought back in to Live with a 12 months subscription, bought the Hauppauge OTA TV Tuner for Xbox, second controller, and a very sweet USB 3.0, 2.5" external hard disk enclosure  and a 960GB SSD.

If you throw in the world, of course PS4 will edge Xbox all the time, but in the US, I find it hard to believe Sony is dominating, not that it actually matters, I have what I want. I also won't argue if TR is discounted by the time I buy it.

Sony IS dominating in the US, along with the rest of the world. The figures are hugely stacked in Sony's favour so it''s not difficult to see that it's outselling the Xbox on it's own soil.

2 minutes ago, Polonium said:

Sony IS dominating in the US, along with the rest of the world. The figures are hugely stacked in Sony's favour so it''s not difficult to see that it's outselling the Xbox on it's own soil.

Exactly as Polonium said, PS4 is truly dominating with almost double the amount of sales compared to the Xbox One globally. In the US it isn't that large of a gap but the PS4 has still sold more.

The NPD results are specifically for the US, so this thread is specifically about US sales.

While the PS4 is doing awesome in it's own right, the Xbox One ain't no slouch. Selling more than the Xbox Original, Xbox 360, PS3 and Wii U is phenomenal as well, considering the "always on" debut debacle. Glad to have these two consoles doing so great.

• Like 2

Well, good for Sony. They do have great games, I do wish TLOU, Uncharted, Wipeout and especially The Order 1866 were not exclusive. The latter is my type of game, great graphics, action, Third Person, and about 6-8 hours and I'm done. I'm not an FPS shooter so I've had a few Playstations over the years, just never really cared for the controller or the online community or software. I prefer PC when I have time. I do expect Xbox to close the gap. To me Xlive is far superior to anything else and I prefer a paid very controlled online community. Messaging family on X1 from PC is great. I just bought 2yrs XLive anticipating DVR in 2016. Still holding out for, TR, Killer Instinct and GeoW Ult for PC (though it came with the X1 bundle I purchased). I am interested in seeing ReCore and hope for cross platform play at some point. OTA/DVR, SlingTV, Bluray, Xlive, and a few good games and I'm set for console/HTPC.

The difference between Xbox Live and PSN are so small now, I'd say that potentially Xbox Live has the slightest of edges as they have increased the party chat size - other than that, no difference at all.

As for the Xbox closing the gap - we'll see but personally, I can't see it.

On 12/11/2015 at 4:06 PM, randomevent said:

Tomb Raider has always been a PC franchise that was moved to consoles, so as much as the low sales does confuse me I know I'm waiting for the PC version...probably not the only one.

I bought my first Voodoo card (and paid a pretty penny for it) because of original tomb raider on the PC.

1 hour ago, Polonium said:

The difference between Xbox Live and PSN are so small now, I'd say that potentially Xbox Live has the slightest of edges as they have increased the party chat size - other than that, no difference at all.

As for the Xbox closing the gap - we'll see but personally, I can't see it.

Nah, Xbox Live continues to outpace PSN at a pretty steady rate with continued improved features, added features, robust and quality. The tight integration with the Xbox.com website, smart phones, tablets, and Xbox app on Windows puts Live night and day ahead of the competition.

The PSN has the same features with the app and website though - I do agree that the Xbox features are more integrated and it's better done, but as a service there really isn't much between them. I don't begrudge paying for either as I think you get value on both.

37 minutes ago, Polonium said:

The PSN has the same features with the app and website though - I do agree that the Xbox features are more integrated and it's better done, but as a service there really isn't much between them. I don't begrudge paying for either as I think you get value on both.

Both are amazing (Sony has improved PSN big time I admit) services.

But I also think that Live does it so smoothly, that you can easily take it for granted. I know I do sometimes.

On 12/31/2015 at 1:49 AM, Kvally said:

Nah, Xbox Live continues to outpace PSN at a pretty steady rate with continued improved features, added features, robust and quality. The tight integration with the Xbox.com website, smart phones, tablets, and Xbox app on Windows puts Live night and day ahead of the competition.

The PSN during PS3 days was shockingly bad especially when compared to Xbox Live, when the PS4 came out I immediately noticed a considerable improvement but it still had many problems and outages.

But today the experience is good, PS also has mobile and tablet apps and all is integrated well with the website. I think it could do with some improvements in regards to the apps but overall it is comparable to Xbox network now.

PSN has improved a lot, Its not the same as old PS3 & X360 days.

• 2 weeks later...