IIS Webserver = busy?

I'm trying to setup a LAN webserver. No one on the lan is connecting to it, but after its been up for like I get

HTTP 403.9 - Access Forbidden: Too many users are connected

(Edit: Im using IIS in XP Pro)

I don't use IIS5 but I know there's a connections option in IIS4 when I go to the properties of my website.

Sounds like you are using a version of iis that is limited in connections (like XP Pro, Win2k Pro) both have a limitation (something like 10).

And yes there is a connections option, however if you set it higher than it allows it will tell you that your license only allows for X ammount of connections, if you raise it higher it just stays at the X number.

I'll post a screen shot tomorrow when I get back to work (that's where the webserver is:)) so you can compare.

I can't believe it's gone in IIS5 :p

Originally posted by PM5K

Sounds like you are using a version of iis that is limited in connections (like XP Pro, Win2k Pro) both have a limitation (something like 10).

And yes there is a connections option, however if you set it higher than it allows it will tell you that your license only allows for X ammount of connections, if you raise it higher it just stays at the X number.

Yeah now that you mention it, that could very well be the problem

Originally posted by Sholin

But the thing is.... who is connected? The port isn't forwared on my router, so techniclly.. no one should be able to get on it :sleeping:

Turn on the logs and check them to see who or what connects

I have used Xitami for years (www.xitami.com). I would recommend it to anyone.

It works out of the box, but then you can also customize it for PHP, Perl, SSI includes, CGI stuff, Aliases to point to other folders or drives, and private directories. It also has a simple integrated FTP Server, and you can customize it in every way possible. Has extensive logging and security options too.

There is nothing wrong with IIS4 or 5 and there must be something wrong with his setup or installation.

Did he change the connections to something which is NOT the default. Did he limit the number of simultaneous connections?

What is using the connections? By going to the Control Panel --> Administrative Tools --> Computer Management --> Shared Folders, he can view the Sshares used, current Connections, and Files which are Open. He can then see what is 'using' his connections to the server. (He should set the IIS # of web connections to the default 10 instead of 1 or 2 or whatever else he set them to. Maybe he set a larger number with a 1 as the prefix like 1000!) Yes, it's true, XP Pro and 2000 PRo and NT4 WS only support 10 simulataneous connections with IIS.

If he still wants to get IIS working and can't figure it out, he should uninstall it, reinstall it, preferrably with default settings, not install Linux or Apache or some other program . . . Apache is still buggy (not stable) on Windows 2000/XP. . .

Linux is a learning experience and will take much more of his time than reinstalling IIS in addition to the fact that if he doesn't have a separate PC, he must dual boot.

There is no need to do such things for small websites for a small LAN. (IF it was otherwise, why would they not be using a real server?)