DVD to AVI

Hey all,

Like most of my posts, I can't believe this hasn't been posted somewhere on NeoWin, however as per usual; I can't find it.

I'm off for a week to the in-laws and have gotta take my laptop to do some work whilst I'm there. One advantage to this is I can glean at least some entertainment from it in the worlds dullest of environments. Unfortuantely though, it doesn't have a DVD drive, Only CD. So catching up on some of the movies I got for xmas prezzies looked unlikely. Until a friend suggessted ripping them to disk on my desktop and copying them over.

So, I wanna know what's the best / quickest / most faultless ripper to use, I used a program called DVD-2-SVCD on my friends recommendation, but that takes about 4-5 hours for a 2.5 hour movie on my Athlon 2800 desktop machine and even then the sound goes out of sync after about five minutes making the film unwatchable.

As always your suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

AsciiSmoke

For probably the best resources for ripping and encoding check out http://www.doom9.org

For simplicity you can just rip with DVD Decrypter and use the trial of Dr Divx to encode. It might still take a while to encode but you can play with the settings and make it go faster.

my usage of DVDrip for Linux has been one of the most flawless experiences ever. if u download MDK 9.2 and run the install software app, all u do is type DVDrip and it installs...from there the app itself is easy!

my usage of DVDrip for Linux has been one of the most flawless experiences ever. if u download MDK 9.2 and run the install software app, all u do is type DVDrip and it installs...from there the app itself is easy!

Yeah DVDrip is sweet for Linux, but for Windows use DVDshrink to rip the dvd and than use Vidomi to convert. Small compression and great results!

For simplicity you can just rip with DVD Decrypter and use the trial of Dr Divx to encode. It might still take a while to encode but you can play with the settings and make it go faster.

Same here.

Couldnt be easier.

Encoded LOTR TT which is almost 3hrs onto one 700mb cdr in which is excellent quality.

Damn good job it does.

• 2 weeks later...

DVD Decyrpter to rip the VOB files, and Dr. DivX to encode. I haven't had any problems as of yet. As mentioned earlier, ImTOO is a good ripper/encoder also.

i've rented some DVDs just then, and i'm trying to rip them to DivX avis. so far, i've ripped them to VOB files using DVD decrypter, and i've downloaded Dr. Divx (my friend gave me his serial he doesn't use anymore) and so far, i'm in the process of encoding it.

:)