If you can find a Nexus Player in your local walmart for $49 .. snatch it up!

nexus-player-artsy-2-640x415.jpg

Processor 1.8GHz Quad Core Intel Atom
Imagination PowerVR Series 6 Graphics
2D/3D Engine
Memory 1GB
Storage 8GB
Connectivity 802.11ac 2x2 (MIMO)
Bluetooth 4.1
Ports 18W DC power
HDMI out (1920x1080@60Hz)
Micro USB 2.0
Software Android TV
Dimensions 120 x 120 x 20mm
Weight 235g
Remote specs  
Connectivity Bluetooth 4.1
Bluetooth Smart
Power 2 AAA batteries
Dimensions 37 x 140 x 16mm
Weight 40g

Recently Googles Nexus player has dropped in price. I'm not even sure they are making it anymore. Its pretty much out of stock everywhere. My local walmart had 3 of them.  Now they are all out. I think I cleaned them out.

This is a great little player, if you can still find one for around $49, I highly recommend you buy one. I also heard at one point Target had them in the bargin bin for $23. So might want to look there too.

They are great. They still get the latest android version 6.01.

It runs Kodi Great and also works fantastic with a Homerun Connect box for Live TV. They also work really good for Emulators.

So far I have purchased 3 of them. One for me, One for a friend as an Xmas present and one for my parents.

here is a custom rom I recommend using. If you know what you are doing, between unlocking the bootloader, flashing a recovery and installing the custom rom, you'll have all 3 done in under 5 mins.

PureNexus 6.01

http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexus-player/development/rom-pure-nexus-t3260232

This is pretty much a pure version of the version of Marshmallow that google gives you with 2 exceptions ..

NTFS support

It's pre Rooted.

Here is a Micro USB, Network adapter / USB hub, which also powers a USB hard drive directly from the Nexus Player

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L32UUJK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

• Like 2

Nice. Google sent me the ADT-1 and I haven't really used it all that much. I personally don't see the appeal to be honest. I have my Xbox One, Xbox 360, Fire TV, and the ADT-1 for streaming to my TV. Every time I want to stream from Netflix or even Amazon, I just use the Xbox One. For someone who doesn't have a streaming device or console, this is a great deal for $49.

11 minutes ago, tsupersonic said:

Nice. Google sent me the ADT-1 and I haven't really used it all that much. I personally don't see the appeal to be honest. I have my Xbox One, Xbox 360, Fire TV, and the ADT-1 for streaming to my TV. Every time I want to stream from Netflix or even Amazon, I just use the Xbox One. For someone who doesn't have a streaming device or console, this is a great deal for $49.

I have a FireTV 1st gen too and while Kodi and Netflix works great, they really have it locked down.

5 minutes ago, Nogib said:

Was an even hotter deal when Target blew them out for $25 a month ago.  Keep hoping it will hit that price at other retailers.

Maybe, but almost everyone is out of stock. Best buy I think is one of the only places still in stock and they know it too! That's why it's $79 at best buy!

22 minutes ago, warwagon said:

I have a FireTV 1st gen too and while Kodi and Netflix works great, they really have it locked down.

While I agree it is locked down, I have a gen 2 and by the time I bought it you no longer needed to root in order to install Kodi. I guess if you want to tinker and have some developer fun, sure a nexus rooted is a great device; but i leave that for my phone and extra tablet. However, I can attest to PureNexus, Nathan the developer of Purenexus is a great guy and I love chatting with him on G+. DHacker, the maintainer it looks like for the nexus player, is a well known android coder who has done a ton of work for Cyanogenmod; I am sure the rom is nearly perfect.

7 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

While I agree it is locked down, I have a gen 2 and by the time I bought it you no longer needed to root in order to install Kodi. I guess if you want to tinker and have some developer fun, sure a nexus rooted is a great device; but i leave that for my phone and extra tablet. However, I can attest to PureNexus, Nathan the developer of Purenexus is a great guy and I love chatting with him on G+. DHacker, the maintainer it looks like for the nexus player, is a well known android coder who has done a ton of work for Cyanogenmod; I am sure the rom is nearly perfect.

I don't think you ever had to root a firetv to install kodi. You just had to turn on developer options and side load the APK. I also agree that there is no real reason to root the firetv. The only annoyance is how far into settings you have to go just to launch the application you sideloaded. (If you are always in Kodi it's easier to load your sideloaded apps through the program section in kodi. Because when you close the opended app it drops you right back into kodi) Though that can be fixed with a cool app someone made that when you hit the home button it takes you right into kodi.

4 minutes ago, warwagon said:

I don't think you ever had to root a firetv to install kodi. You just had to turn on developer options and side load the APK. I also agree that there is no real reason to root the firetv. The only annoyance is how far into settings you have to go just to launch the application you sideloaded. (If you are always in Kodi it's easier to load your sideloaded apps through the program section in kodi. Because when you close the opended app it drops you right back into kodi) Though that can be fixed with a cool app someone made that when you hit the home button it takes you right into kodi.

Yea, that is a pain in the butt, luckily now ES File Explorer is available on the Amazon Market so using that to download and install Kodi is super simple; but yes launching the app is terrible haha. Im going to try and hunt down some of these cheap Nexus units for some friends.

20 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

Yea, that is a pain in the butt, luckily now ES File Explorer is available on the Amazon Market so using that to download and install Kodi is super simple; but yes launching the app is terrible haha. Im going to try and hunt down some of these cheap Nexus units for some friends.

True. But sideloading over the network is super simple too.

27 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

You can start Kodi in FireTV from Home button. You need to install application

I have a Nexus Player and have been somewhat underwhelmed by the device. A real lack of TV Catch Up apps in the UK (e.g. iPlayer, All 4, Demand 5 etc.). Also no Amazon Instant Video.

The worst part is the hardware is missing some basic stuff, like an Ethernet port.

8 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

Just an update to the discussion a few of us were having in here, the newest firetv/firestick firmware allows sideloaded apps to show up on the homescreen under apps without any hacks.

Oh neat!

2 hours ago, Circaflex said:

Just an update to the discussion a few of us were having in here, the newest firetv/firestick firmware allows sideloaded apps to show up on the homescreen under apps without any hacks.

The last firmware available was from August 20th ... 51.1.6.3_user_51602020 ... just checked. Nothing new available. Must be an OS5 thing which isn't yet available for the 1st gen Firetv's.

1 hour ago, warwagon said:

The last firmware available was from August 20th ... 51.1.6.3_user_51602020 ... just checked. Nothing new available. Must be an OS5 thing which isn't yet available for the 1st gen Firetv's.

Strange, must be that. Mine was updated December 20th ( I didnt even notice) and has that feature. Strange the 1st gen wouldnt get it though.

16 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

Strange, must be that. Mine was updated December 20th ( I didnt even notice) and has that feature. Strange the 1st gen wouldnt get it though.

Apparently it's coming.

The local Best Buy has them for $70 - so I may yet get one (since my tablet is NOT a "pure Android" device, and the Player is currently the cheapest such out there).

We replaced cable/satellite in our house with Nexus Players.  Have two of them already and waiting on a sale for the third one.  Fast internet is a must but we are saving at least $60+ every month by not having a subscription.  On top of that, we share Netflix with other family and have logins for certain TV apps that we can cast to the TV.  

I got my Nexus Player on Groupon for ~$42. Our local Target sucks, they never get the good deals in. Not even worth dealing with their parking lot and walking all the way back to electronics to check. Good little device, got it set up with Kodi and Genesis and KissAnime, and we use it all the time.

With a USB on the go cable, we hooked a Logitech K400 (keyboard + track pad) up to it, and it works perfectly. Not so much in the Leanback Launcher, where the real remote is fine, but in Kodi, it really shines, especially for searching (any typing).

I have PureNexus downloaded (it's what I put on my wife's Nexus 7 tablet, so I already know it's good stuff), I just haven't taken the time to learn how to do that to a Nexus Player. I hear it's a lot better, though.

On 1/18/2016 at 8:01 AM, tsupersonic said:

FYI, Bestbuy has this for $50 - linky

Back up to $69....

Did they have it kick it up to $69 after selling X number of Nexus, because it blows my mind they didn't sell out at $50

On 1/20/2016 at 5:49 PM, warwagon said:

Back up to $69....

Did they have it kick it up to $69 after selling X number of Nexus, because it blows my mind they didn't sell out at $50

It's back to $50!