Which Linux distributions do you prefer? (2016)

Which Linux distributions do you prefer?  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Which Linux distributions do you prefer?

• (K|X|L)-Ubuntu 49
    • Mint
    • Debian GNU/Linux
    • Arch Linux
    • Elementary OS
    • Fedora
    • CentOS
    • Gentoo
    • Slackware
    • Crunchbang
    • openSUSE
    • Red Hat Enterprise Linux
    • Other (specify in reply).
    • I roll my own distribution.

Mint here for Desktop. Windows for Dev work, only because I have software that requires it and WINE has been problematic with said software. Otherwise it would be Mint exclusively.

A happy new year from Ubuntu Studio land!

I use this on both my laptop and my music studio machine. On my laptop, I make it look a bit like I used to like Gnome 2. :yes:

Been using Arch and Gentoo for quite a while now, don't see myself changing any time soon. Typically for dev and server work, not a fan of the desktops, but hey choice and all that. Been meaning to give OpenSUSE another go too.

Mint. Several reasons for it: no wireless issues, no bluetooth issues and Mate has a "Marco+Compton" Window Manager option out of the box which makes for a terrific flicker-free desktop I honestly can't seem to get anywhere else.

a few weeks ago i would have given my default Kubuntu vote, but since my pre alpha of kubuntu 16.04 stopped to work immediately and there was just no way to fix it (i could not even see any error messages) i went for antergos which is basically arch linux with an easy installer. always had the impression that arch is a bit faster (pacman even much faster once you update your mirror list) so my vote goes for arch. will it last? i don't know! 2016 is still young :p

I use Mint, mostly on older laptops I keep around where Windows is less than suitable.

I don't know if I'd dual boot, seems rather pointless.

• 1 month later...

I voted for "Other" even though I run a version of Lubuntu called Quelitu, http://wavesofthefuture.net/computers/linux-operating-system-refurbish-computer-free.shtml

Runs very well on older machines and nothing wrong with it on newer machines either.

Kind of playing with Quelitu until the next LTS release of ,

• Debian 8 “Jessie” from May 2018 to end of April/May 2020

maybe.

If I had to choose a Linux right now, I'd probably consider Void Linux, NixOS, or Slackware. If it's for a desktop system which has to just work without too much experimental fiddling, I'd totally choose Slackware. No systemd, great community.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I started with RedHat, moved to Kubuntu, but now I prefer Sabayon (a Gentoo derivative) and the KDE spin in particular, because it's gotten easier and has more options than even Kubuntu.  (The tweakage possible in Sabayon is almost infinite, despite it being as easy to install as Kubuntu; for me, the fact that the tweakage is still possible, even starting from the GUI, is what got me over the hump regarding Gentoo-based distributions in general; that is entirely due to the approach taken by Sabayon's maintainers.)

I'm stuck with Windows but if I can ever make the break from Windows for good and not look back.. Ubuntu. 

• 5 weeks later...