So, regarding the spam in General

I am curious about a few things:

1. How is he still here?

2. Do you think he'll make it to all 196 countries?

3. Do you think he'll include protectorates, disputed areas, and overseas territories as well? :rofl:

Curses, he's stopped at Montenegro.

To be fair, I'd stop there too. I hear it's a really nice place.

"he" who? my guess....incognito, and a VPN/Proxy. But I'm probably wrong. MY question is, why does it keep happening OVER and OVER? How many times do we have to keep reporting before action is taken? Last of all, what if the "he" is a "she"? Kaytlin Jenner? Questions....questions........

It's gotta be an automated bot. I'm on monitoring duty tonight and there's a pretty large and coordinated volumetric (DDOS) event going on tonight.

Sites so that you can see for yourself:

http://map.norsecorp.com/

http://www.digitalattackmap.com/#anim=1&color=0&country=ALL&list=0&time=16806&view=map

Those are the Public Domain ones that I'm allowed to give links to, so those are fine for anyone to use. No firewall necessary, they're safe.

Spam? All I see is a helpful new member who is spreading the word about wanting to provide love problem solutions to people in various countries.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Spam like this can be prevented by: 

- new members can't start topics until a number of posts

- limit amount of posts per hour/day for new members until they reach a certain amount

- limit amount of topics/posts you can consecutively start

All of these are very easy to implement. Many forums use this. Why doesn't Neowin?

It could be the way this new version works, or more specifically things that weren't implemented yet. It's an almost totally new design. It's not Neowin's fault.

Just now, Unobscured Vision said:

It could be the way this new version works, or more specifically things that weren't implemented yet. It's an almost totally new design. It's not Neowin's fault.

No, these things are very very easy to implement and Neowin has never had any spam prevention.

On 1/7/2016 at 6:44 AM, techbeck said:

Seems spam posts here are getting more and more common.

not only here. also on different FB groups which used to be practically spam free for years (!) and now they are getting trashed on a daily basis. 

On 07/01/2016 at 5:42 AM, Obi-Wan Kenobi said:

"he" who? my guess....incognito, and a VPN/Proxy. But I'm probably wrong. MY question is, why does it keep happening OVER and OVER? How many times do we have to keep reporting before action is taken? Last of all, what if the "he" is a "she"? Kaytlin Jenner? Questions....questions........

Literally a few days ago you raged against someone for posting gibberish!

I blame the People's Army of Sealand. Their aggressive actions cannot go unanswered! :rofl: Those weaponized Sea Lion Cubs .. *shudder* .. one look into those large, saucer-shaped eyes is all it takes. They'll make an entire PETA Platoon completely ineffective.

And don't get me started about the 166th Heavy Kitten Infantry. They move like lightning towards anything with string. It's the claws ... the claws ...

:shifty:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Xilo said:

No, these things are very very easy to implement and Neowin has never had any spam prevention.

Uh, we've always had spam protection and quite diligent removal of said spam. Profile spammers and flooders generally last about 5-10 minutes before they're gone. A huge number of sign-ups are stopped at the gate, too.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Eric said:

Uh, we've always had spam protection and quite diligent removal of said spam. Profile spammers and flooders generally last about 5-10 minutes before they're gone.

This is very true.  

Very often when I go to remove spam, by the time I click the button, someone else has already beaten me to it.  It's rare the spam posts last more than a few minutes.