Recommendations for New users

- Don't allow users with zero posts to create new threads. Minimum 10 posts before you can create your own thread.

- Lock threads automatically that are 12 months or older.

The amount of zombie threads, and 1 post wonders on this site has increased heaps over the past 6 months.

• Like 1

We can't restrict people from creating new threads when their post count is less than 10. We get quite a few people who come here because they need technical help but haven't visited before.

I don't think that there needs to be an auto-lock period on threads. We have several threads that are several years old and are still being updated with current and relevant information.

There are solutions being worked on to resolve the issue of spammers. In the meantime, the staff are doing well at removing the messages ASAP. What can help us further is if people report the threads when they see them. As I always say, we can't be everywhere at once. (Y)

10 minutes ago, Nik L said:

I do believe however that new users (2 posts or less) cannot paste hyperlinks, this would stop a lot of spam surely?

Hyperlinks aren't even the problem with that telephone number spam.

• Like 2

I have an idea for how to handle old threads. I don't remember where but I've seen a decent method used before on another forum

What was done was if the last reply to the thread is X number of months/years old then your reply will need approval by a mod/admin. The nice thing about this plugin is it gave mods 3 options to choose from: Approve, Deny, & Move to new thread.

Just something I've seen in the past I thought was a good idea.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Jared- said:

- Don't allow users with zero posts to create new threads. Minimum 10 posts before you can create your own thread.

The amount of zombie threads, and 1 post wonders on this site has increased heaps over the past 6 months.

Might be a good idea actually. I mean, mods already lock most revived threads, so It would certainly save the staff some time.  

10 hours ago, Jared- said:

My fault. My bad. I'm an attention wh***!

1 minute ago, Jared- said:

Like, it's happening now lol.

So mean :(

Though I do agree with what you said. I'd make the minimum posts 5, and limit the area they can post at. I don't think it would be too hard to code a bot to scan new posts, and accept or deny them. I've looked at a lot of these phone number posts, and most don't have ANY text in them.

Maybe we can require a minimum word count?

1 minute ago, BinaryData said:

My fault. My bad. I'm an attention wh***!

It's OK. Anyone who has used the Status Update sidebar is. :p

Like, it's happening now lol.

They are just helping you prove your point.

I saw spammy posts in my mini spy as I was typing ^, they look all cleaned up now. 

I was ignoring you BinaryData, have no idea what you're on about. 

Just now, Skiver said:

Or is it... I see nothing ¬_¬

NINJA! :shiftyninja:

The other thought is to have a few members that are Support Mods. They can only delete posts in the sections that are allowed. The post would be removed temporarily, but require a final approval until someone can review it. I nominate Jared- for said role!

We do have a few tiers to the mods in that Fmods are assigned to specific sections whilst Gmods work generally across the entire Forum - the problem is we do all have lives too (Hard to believe I know) so we don't always get things quickly. The only way to beat that element is more mods etc but how many is enough?

Other than that, suggestions like the above I don't know much about the inner workings of IPB so I'll leave that to those who know what their talking about :)

1 minute ago, Skiver said:

We do have a few tiers to the mods in that Fmods are assigned to specific sections whilst Gmods work generally across the entire Forum - the problem is we do all have lives too (Hard to believe I know) so we don't always get things quickly. The only way to beat that element is more mods etc but how many is enough?

Other than that, suggestions like the above I don't know much about the inner workings of IPB so I'll leave that to those who know what their talking about :)

Could let MVCs take obvious spam out of public view. Worst case scenario is that it isn't and Mods put it back.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Skiver said:

I know it can be done, but it'll take some work.

1 minute ago, StevoFC said:

Could let MVCs take obvious spam out of public view. Worst case scenario is that it isn't and Mods put it back.

Mm.. I'd let MVCs stay with their title. It would mean BudMan has power, and that scares the **** out of me.

Just to make things clear - I wasn't trying to start an arguments lol. 

C'mon I'm like 5 beers down on a Friday night, loosy goosy.

5 beers and you're already tipsy... Can you say lightweight? :p

3 minutes ago, BinaryData said:

Mm.. I'd let MVCs stay with their title. It would mean BudMan has power, and that scares the **** out of me.

hey if you remember correctly BudMan actually WAS a mod at one point :p

34 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

hey if you remember correctly BudMan actually WAS a mod at one point :p

:| That was before my time. I went inactive for about 4 years.

33 minutes ago, Jared- said:

I'm not that tipsy if i'm on the computer lol, I'm just not thinking about what I type.

Then again, I usually don't ha.

Sure, sure. Don't lie :p

Nope never a mod.. Maybe you are remembering all my warnings and bans back in the day ;)  When I use to just to let people like BD have it with both barrels and no filtering what so ever..  Oh the good ole days of shooting from the hip the first thing that popped into my head... Especially after a few bourbons and 6 or 7 beers...

Been years, took awhile but I finally learned to watch mouth and attitude... Now I just suck it up and play nice..  I personally would like more honesty and flair for comments to be allowed.. But not my board, I like it here so learned to play within the rules..  Been mvc for a quite some time... 

Now I just report and ignore people that really bug me..  I wouldn't of even noticed this thread if others hadn't chimed in based up on its starter, wink wink..   BD been really close to getting on my list a few times..  But I personally just think he needs adjustments of his meds and he will be fine ;) ROFL!!!

Why not for the 1st 3 posts have them enter a capcha before posting.

Why not let them create a thread but have a time limit. Like 1 thread every 10 mins.

I think a lot of these spammers come in and just start creating threads like crazy.