League of Legends 2016 (Season 6)

Hello Summoners,

Wanted to start a thread for discussion and sharing in regards to the new season that is almost upon us. 
Posts could be but are not limited to conversations about Pro Teams or your own individual climb throughout the season.

I for one was placed Gold 4 at the beginning of Season 5. I dropped to Silver 1 and then got back into Gold and remained there at 0LP for the rest of the season.
As the new season begins on January 16th I aim to place gold and hit Platinum. Not a wildly aggressive goal, but, something to hopefully allow me to become more skilled while maintaining being relatively casual. 

If anyone else reading this would like to play either normals (for fun :) ) or ranked (for serious:|) you can find me on the rift at ign: I am Redbeard

I'd post more about my account / mains but I'm "working" so I'll have to update.

(Not sure of a previous League thread, I'm sure there is one somewhere, buried. I assumed the new season/new thread thing would be acceptable. If not, go ahead and delete or move this post to that thread)

Edited by I am Redbeard

As much as I wanted to keep playing this game, it changes too frequently and too drastically with each update and champion release it's become a chore to maintain my knowledge of the game. It's unfortunate, I've put probably over a thousand dollars into the game through RP purchases. But it's time for me to move on.

I sincerely hope the developers realize that the game might start pushing away people who aren't willing to invest in relearning the mechanics over and over again every 3-6 months. Just in the last season we had several significant changes to the jungle. Every time I tried to break into jungling by the time I finally got a hang of it everything changed around again. It's just too difficult, and most of all not fun. They've stepped too far into making the game for the professionals and in many ways left their original, causal community behind.

I can see that perspective. Sorry to hear you no longer have fun with the game.. kind of an unfortunate fate for a lot of players in regards to games that retain relative popularity for a long time.

I for one appreciate the constant updates. It may be annoying to relearn at first, or even in general if the changes are inherently annoying, I just think that the overall fact that it's constantly "evolving" is nice. I'm more so speaking to the large changes (new champs/comps, items, build paths ..etc..), the smaller "Lucians base health was reduced by 5hp" changes don't mean much to me. I think the relearning is what keeps people playing.. if the game never changed it would grow stale as most stagnant multiplayers do.

17 minutes ago, I am Redbeard said:

I can see that perspective. Sorry to hear you no longer have fun with the game.. kind of an unfortunate fate for a lot of players in regards to games that retain relative popularity for a long time.

I for one appreciate the constant updates. It may be annoying to relearn at first, or even in general if the changes are inherently annoying, I just think that the overall fact that it's constantly "evolving" is nice. I'm more so speaking to the large changes (new champs/comps, items, build paths ..etc..), the smaller "Lucians base health was reduced by 5hp" changes don't mean much to me. I think the relearning is what keeps people playing.. if the game never changed it would grow stale as most stagnant multiplayers do.

I play a game to understand and learn it. To become better at it. But if the goalposts constantly shift I'll be forever having to change how I play, sometimes at a fundamental level. It used to be the game evolved as new champions were released with new mechanics. But now not only do we get new mechanics with new champions, we get some pretty significant item reworks (some getting removed entirely and replaced with others), wide sweeping mechanics reworks (return of lifesteal, healing changes, etc), significant visual alterations, etc. The iteration cycle for new champs is slower, but the game changes faster than ever before. Updates and champ releases alike bring some pretty far reaching changes.

I hope they can stabilize the climate, otherwise Total War is my new "moba".

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Emn1ty said:

I play a game to understand and learn it. To become better at it. But if the goalposts constantly shift I'll be forever having to change how I play, sometimes at a fundamental level. It used to be the game evolved as new champions were released with new mechanics. But now not only do we get new mechanics with new champions, we get some pretty significant item reworks (some getting removed entirely and replaced with others), wide sweeping mechanics reworks (return of lifesteal, healing changes, etc), significant visual alterations, etc. The iteration cycle for new champs is slower, but the game changes faster than ever before. Updates and champ releases alike bring some pretty far reaching changes.

I hope they can stabilize the climate, otherwise Total War is my new "moba".

I understand.

I can't help but see the other side of the coin in regards to the points you made. If the game initially, or while you were more active, was updated in the way you say and it restricted it's changes to that formula alone, it would certainly grow old. I've been playing for almost 3 years now and I'll agree it's a wildly different atmosphere than it were; I suppose I just choose to embrace it whereas you reject it.

5 minutes ago, I am Redbeard said:

I understand.

I can't help but see the other side of the coin in regards to the points you made. If the game initially, or while you were more active, was updated in the way you say and it restricted it's changes to that formula alone, it would certainly grow old. I've been playing for almost 3 years now and I'll agree it's a wildly different atmosphere than it were; I suppose I just choose to embrace it whereas you reject it.

The game is still fantastic and fun, but regardless of how much they update it the game should remain at its core the same. For the most part it has, but it's also changed so much that 1) it feels commercial 2) feels over produced. When I started playing back when Brand released in 2012 the game embodied the passion and drive Riot had in not only making a competitive game, but a fun game. Their primary goal was to remove "anti-fun" mechanics. Ever since they started focusing on the professional scene, this philosophy disappeared. Instead of trying to make the game as positive and enjoyable as possible they switched to focusing on evolving meta's, balancing for top-level play, etc. They are more concerned with making a game that is enjoyable as a spectator sport, or an e-sport than they are about a game that's fun to play. Which is fine, that's where the money took them and I respect that, but I no longer get the feeling that the developers truly care about the community and the state of the game in the same way that made me play it for nearly 4 years.

:)

I think we could go back and forth for a long time which wasn't really my intent with starting a thread based on the new season.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/13/2016 at 11:29 AM, I am Redbeard said:

:)

I think we could go back and forth for a long time which wasn't really my intent with starting a thread based on the new season.

Yeah, my apologies. Sort of why I dropped off.

nah, don't care about the professional for this game. on the other hand i'm really excited about the new champ coming out. hyped. Might have to take a long break once SFV hit.