bmw - dentist drill

Morning!

Past few days my 2011 BMW 335xi has been producing some weird sound coming from the engine bay. I decided to drive it a few more days to get more detail on how to replicate the sound.

• a "dentist drill" noise is audible, The sound gets louder as I apply slight revs for normal driving & and small revs on idle. However, the frequency of the noise is constant between 1.5krpm & 5k rpm.
  • doesn't appear on a cold start, but as the oil gauge in the car becomes normal temp, the "drilling noise" becomes constant & as I apply revs it gets louder.
  • on a cold start you don't hear it, but it becomes quite audible as the car warms up to normal operating temperate
  • no CEL code on the car.
  • Haven't boosted due to the fact if it is my turbo, I don't want it flying into my engine bay.
  • Haven't noticed any power loss, but then again, I am bumper to bumper to and from work.
  • Don't notice any blue smoke coming out of tailpipes.

Here is a video of the issue:

http://sysadminsteve.com/help/issue.mp4

At first I thought it was the belts or the pulley bearings. Now, I am not so sure since I noticed this happens when oil becomes normal operating temperature. Bad oil pump. Turbo going bad?

Thank you, I will double check my fluids when I come home from work today. I need to top off my window washer fluid anyway.

If it is the belt or pulley, do you think I can drive it till Saturday?

I have a good feeling I already know why you ruled out the turbo.

Yea you are fine.  Just beginning to wear. How many miles?   The belt should be replaced at around 100k-120k.  Idler, when it starts making noise...Could be 100k could be 500k.  

Could be idler, could be any other pulley.   Def something in there.  A stethoscope could help identify where noise is coming from.  About 10 bux from Pep boys. 

I am at 30k miles. Purchased used @ 12k and it's been running fine since.

I quickly ran out and checked my PS fluid. It seems very low, but I haven't driven it in 6 hours.

I'll check the level when I get home to incorporate fluid expansion lvls.

In the reservoir itself, I see what looks like to be plenty of fluid.

However, the plastic crappy dipstick that comes with the car. It is not sitting in between the marks.

I read that the caps are crappy for BMW & I do see some residue around the area. I'll clean it off.

Edited by tehsteve86