Sponsored Advertisment Posts getting out of hand

Dear Neowin

Im a bit irritated about the fact that the news get more and more flooded with sponsored advertisment "posts" and deals.

I really like neowin and use it since the beginning, but those new form of ad-posts concern me.

A while back, they appeared less often, but they begin to show up more and more often and it also happens that you put up multiple on the same day...

Having ad-banners on neowin is ok, but this new form of ad, that clutter the news post position, are really annoying.

Is this new advertisment format really needed for neowin to survive? And if it is, is it really needed that often and on the news spot?

Well we already offset different types of advertising to guests, and we only have one ad in the forums for those logged in for threads, unlike many of our rivals that display multiple ads, to counter balance it we do the Neowin Deals posts, which brings in revenue, and also the eBook offers, which we are also paid for. Our devs will be applying a clearer indication that it is sponsored posts soon, and maybe we can offer an option later to filter them out of the news page altogether.

It would be great to have a way to filter them out, or go back to being a weekly event.

I mean when it was one a week or so, I had no issue with it. Even checked them out from time to time. But now it's almost one a day (sometimes more). It's a little much for me.

It was three times a week, but since they are now daily we also earn more, if we didn't make any sales on the posts I wouldn't post them as frequently.

Sorry chaps, but we have to make money to pay for people and services.

This is what happens when so many use ad blockers tbh. Ad networks are better then the used to be but sadly so many have already gone to ad blocking it gets very hard to find other ways to make up the revenue, I feel for you guys!

On ‎14‎/‎01‎/‎2016 at 4:31 AM, ZeroHour said:

This is what happens when so many use ad blockers tbh. Ad networks are better then the used to be but sadly so many have already gone to ad blocking it gets very hard to find other ways to make up the revenue, I feel for you guys!

I don't think that's the reason, since most people whitelist Neowin.

The deals are probably there to increase revenue. It's not because of any losses made by the few people that ad block Neowin.

Also, before Neowin Deals, there was a hardware deal store thing on Neowin, which was similar to Neowin Deals. The only difference was that sponsored posts weren't a thing yet, so it kinda flopped.

12 hours ago, LimeMaster said:

I don't think that's the reason, since most people whitelist Neowin.

In all honesty, I would doubt the majority necessarily do to be honest. The more loyal/regular posters possibly would but I wouldn't think the casuals do. Also more the technically literate your audience are the more likely they are to have ad filtering installed. I actually know of a lot of filtering companies that mass remove/block ads for everyone going through their connections as well.

Running the site and paying the staff costs money, thy gotta make it somehow, even IF everyone whitelisted the site there would still be a need for sponsored posts

So unless you're rich and want to cover the costs, got to deal with it, not like it's bad or anything 

8 hours ago, ZeroHour said:

In all honesty, I would doubt the majority necessarily do to be honest. The more loyal/regular posters possibly would but I wouldn't think the casuals do. Also more the technically literate your audience are the more likely they are to have ad filtering installed. I actually know of a lot of filtering companies that mass remove/block ads for everyone going through their connections as well.

There are a lot of loyal users on Neowin.

As for the casuals, they either are joining for help with one problem, or just don't post that often to begin with. These people won't really cause much loss in revenue. In fact, there's a big chance that the one's that ask a single question, don't know what ad block is.

Can't say much about filtering, since it can't be helped if you're browsing sites through your workplace.

I'd rather take them over more "regular" ads. As the site grows the costs grow with it. Perfectly acceptable for me. I, personally, have no trouble with just browsing trough them and leave them like they are.