SpaceX and OrbitalATK get USAF propulsion contracts

SpaceX gets USAF funding for Raptor. 

OrbitalATK gets funded for solid boosters and an extendable nozzle for Blue Origin's BE-3U upper stage.

I see a pattern emerging, and it doesn't look good for Vulcan

http://spacenews.com/orbital-atk-spacex-win-air-force-propulsion-contracts/

Orbital ATK, SpaceX Win Air Force Propulsion Contracts

WASHINGTON – The U.S. Air Force said Jan. 13 it has chosen to invest up to $241 million in rocket propulsion systems Orbital ATK and SpaceX pitched as a way to end Air Force dependence the Russian-built rocket engine it uses to launch most U.S. national security payloads.

In a press release announcing the contracts, the Air Force Space and Missile Systems said it could still make additional awards.

“The Air Force is still in negotiations with the remaining offerors and subsequent awards, if any, will occur over the next few months,” the service said.

Orbital ATK won the biggest share of the money awarded Jan. 13. The Dulles, Virginia-based company stands to receive at least $46.9 million, and perhaps as much as $180 million, to develop three rocket propulsion system prototypes intended for use on an Orbital ATK next-generation launch vehicle. Specifically, Orbital ATK will combine the Air Force money with at least $31 million, and as much as $124 million, of its own to develop the GEM 63XL strap-on solid rocket motor, the Common Booster Segment solid rocket motor, and an extendable nozzle for Blue Origin’s BE-3U upper stage engine.

SpaceX, meanwhile, will get at least $33.6 million, and perhaps as much as $61 million, to continue development of its methane-fueled Raptor engine. SpaceX is expected to match the Air Force’s investment in Raptor with at least $67 million, and as much as $123 million, according to the Air Force contract announcement.

The Air Force is under pressure to end its dependence on the RD-180, the Russian-built engine that powers the main stage of United Launch Alliance’s Atlas 5 rocket.
>

• Like 2

Last summer SpaceX's  Jeff Thornburg said "existing EELV vehicles" could use Raptor. If that includes Falcon I'd not expect to see it in S1 but in a new, high energy, upper stage. 

That could boost Falcon 9 to 25 tonnes and Falcon Heavy to near 70 tonnes.

• Like 2

Raptor upper stage!!

http://www.losangeles.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123466879

1/13/2016 - LOS ANGELES AIR FORCE BASE, Calif.  -- Today the Space and Missile Systems Center awarded the first two Other Transaction Agreements (OTAs) for shared public-private investments in Rocket Propulsion System (RPS) prototypes to SpaceX for development testing of the Raptor upper stage engine and Orbital ATK for development of the Common Booster Segment main stage, the Graphite Epoxy Motor (GEM) 63XL strap-on booster, and an extendable nozzle for Blue Origin's BE-3U/EN upper stage engine. 

>

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, DocM said:

And it is for Falcon 9 and Falcon Heavy!!

Would this mean replacement for merlin vac of second stage, on both units?

• Like 1

I would be guessing, but assume Raptor scalability for inclusion in upper stage of F9FT and FH?

Don't mind me...bit stunned by this. It is nice that SpaceX got recognition for their work but although news just released, will assume more to come out later to figure what the (   ) is going on. I had always thought the F9 and soon FH, would be the workhorses, are "good runners" and have been tweaked FT. The merlin vac has worked great...at least if think it does..unless I am missing something.

Could this just be the next "tweak" to Falcon, being...time to upgrade the second stage, since we are close to being done on S1?....or intentional to get a bigger lift...so many questions, such as if so, will Raptor be scaled for an intended lift?

Then there is the question of accepted outside money.......and it's implications.

Excuse me as I run down the science wing and bang my head....:)

Thinking about this some more ... seems like they would have to stiffen up the superstructure of the F9 to handle the increased weight. It's a sturdy girl already, but 25T isn't exactly light. The new S2 is going to have to be a new one from the bottom up. And those S1 Merlins are going to likewise need to be uprated again, probably by two or three orders of magnitude each.

• Like 1

SpaceX's Jeff Thornburgh also told Congress (June, 2015) that Raptor is highly scalable due to new SpaceX technologies and 3D printing most of the engine. He also said the latter makes for a high production rate. Likely by building a barn full of 3D metal printers and buying Inconel by the train car.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Draggendrop said:

Would this mean replacement for merlin vac of second stage, on both units?

For high energy and DoD payloads almost certainly.

For other missions, I guess it depends on if printing a Raptor is cheaper than hydroforming and CNCing a Merlin.

• Like 2

Just now, DocM said:

For high energy and DoD payloads almost certainly. For other missions, I guess it depends on it orinting a Raptor is cheaper than hydroforming and CNCing a Merlin.

Thank you...I feel better now...bit stunned by this development....:)

• Like 1

I think this means that OldSpace got the "door slammed in their faces". And rightly so -- they've been foot dragging and otherwise "laying about" since the mid-2000's if not earlier.

• Like 1

This did bother me ...being SpaceX projects are so advanced, and so much in the works...I would have hated to see time removed from next launcher and Mars aspirations....I just want to see them get to Mars....:D

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DocM said:

Love to be a fly on the wall at Aerojet-Rocketdyne and ULA right now. 

Ya...with big ears and a video projector to throw SpaceX propaganda at their board meetings....my bad....:D

2 minutes ago, DocM said:

Love to be a fly on the wall at Aerojet-Rocketdyne and ULA right now. 

Oh i bet heads are literally rolling right now.

• Like 1

In the misc launcher thread, today I posted about executives questioning Ariannespace about launcher design due to SpaceX..... and this was before this development....:D

• Like 2

In my opinion, we have a major shakeup coming in the next 3 to 4 years, and those not preparing for it, will have reduced market share till they adapt.

:)

• Like 2

NSF is a scream right now. Paradigms shifting, definitive denial melting like ice in a rocket exhaust, plans blowing up like Semtex, everyone's first reaction being akin to WTF??...

• Like 2

SpaceNews just published the news you gave us Doc....

Orbital ATK, SpaceX Win Air Force Propulsion Contracts

http://spacenews.com/orbital-atk-spacex-win-air-force-propulsion-contracts/

Yes, even comment heads are exploding...this is great....

With the performance increase, some are even saying S2 stage mods and flyback worth the work in the long run now with raptor.

3 minutes ago, DocM said:

NSF is a scream right now. Paradigms shifting, definitive denial melting like ice in a rocket exhaust, plans blowing up like Semtex, everyone's first reaction being akin to WTF??...

AKA "We fear change". Yep.

• Like 1