Why Square Enix Is Carving Its Games To Bits (The Jimquisition)

The thing people need to remember that the true power is held by the people. Not the executives.

If you don't like the episodic release of a title, don't buy it. Boycott!

Touch their purse strings and you'll get their attention.

Remember boycott. If you don't like something, don't buy it. No one is forcing you to!

If Square breaks up the FFVII remake that was so long coming, so help me I'll sell off ALL my FF collection (Currently have all the FF series), and never buy another Square product again!

3 minutes ago, margrave said:

If Square breaks up the FFVII remake that was so long coming, so help me I'll sell off ALL my FF collection (Currently have all the FF series), and never buy another Square product again!

They've already stated that FF7 Remake will be released in parts.

Sounds like square enix is creating games based on content. $35 intro edition, $65 massive edition $99 ultimate edition.

so you buy the $35 edition and in order to get the features and content of ultimate edition, buy a season pass $50 or pay $64 and upgrade to the ultimate edition..

2 minutes ago, margrave said:

The thing people need to remember that the true power is held by the people. Not the executives.

If you don't like the episodic release of a title, don't buy it. Boycott!

Touch their purse strings and you'll get their attention.

Remember boycott. If you don't like something, don't buy it. No one is forcing you to!

The problem with that stance is the Game Producers are retarded.

Taking this strategy more often than not they take it as "OH they don't like the IP as a whole (anymore). Let's just kill it off altogether!"

8 minutes ago, Raa said:

Can I get the TL:DW version?

Me too please?  I would like to know what is going on with S.E.   but until the weekend, I don't want to spend the time on the video, as between work and quick neowin distractions once in a while, i am not really ready to waste 10 min on it.   i got my list of tv shows i love and books i need to read. i can only watch gaming videos on the weekend.

so if anyone is so kind to let me know WHAT is it about?

12 hours ago, wakjak said:

They've already stated that FF7 Remake will be released in parts.

Then Square-Enix is a no buy from me from now on. They join the ranks of EA as far as I'm concerned.

12 hours ago, E.worm Jimmy said:

Me too please?  I would like to know what is going on with S.E.   but until the weekend, I don't want to spend the time on the video, as between work and quick neowin distractions once in a while, i am not really ready to waste 10 min on it.   i got my list of tv shows i love and books i need to read. i can only watch gaming videos on the weekend.

so if anyone is so kind to let me know WHAT is it about?

Basically SE and other company executives placed their bets at the start of the generation on cutting up what would normally be a full AAA game into pieces and still charging fairly high prices ($30+ a piece). Jim says the industry feared mobile, free to play and the PC being the dominant forces this time around, not consoles, so didn't want to invest in full AAA games, but milk cut up releases over time. As the consoles, even the Xbox One, have proven this wrong (WW unit sales), and games like TW3 and FO4 been critical successes the executives have been left with egg on their faces. It's a fairly hopeful win for the future of console games but Square are still frantically trying to stick to their original plans of cutting everything up and/or made too much progress cutting up big releases in the past years some titles are doomed to it for now regardless of industry success (Hitman/Deus Ex/FF7). As we know big releases are in development for 2+ years usually, so if they have been planned as cut up pieces years ago, it's quite tricky to try and tape them back together quickly.

Pretty much as usual men/women in suits completely got it wrong and are out of touch with gaming and are either going to be frantically trying to emulate success of the large AAA titles like TW3/FO4 or are too far gone into cutting up certain releases they'll have to put them out as is and hope for the best. He says even although the Deus Ex augment your pre-order garbage was canned, the release of the game could be cut up into a sort of Mass Effect Trilogy (so 3 individual releases, each charged), rather than one full game.

Quite sad really that this is the most successful generation ever (PS4 emulating & beating PS2 sales, Xbox One the best selling Xbox platform), and we have big boys like Konami and Square imploding and making completely stupid decisions based on bets they've gotten completely wrong (consoles are dying, mobile/F2P being the future and AAA titles are non-fundable). Rather than sharing in with the success and fully embracing how popular our hobby is.

• Like 1

It's worrying because not only is it going to end up costing more in the end but if it doesn't meet sales expectations it might not ever get finished.

This is one trend in gaming that needs to die sooner than later.

The next Hitman game (also a square-enix game) is going to be released in episodes too.

And unfortunately "vote with your wallet" will be sending mixed signals in this case. The big companies would see a lack of sales as lack of interest in the actual game(s) when in reality it would be a lack of interest in the business model itself. Pretty much a lose lose situation, damned if you do and damned if you don't. There is no win in this situation for consumers.

Edited by trag3dy
  • Like 1

Reminds me of Valve,

HL2:E1, HL2:E2, and... and... go ###### your self.

Same thing here. I am not getting fooled by chunked delivery methods again.