Man Hired To Remove Confederate Monuments In New Orleans Has $200,000 Lamborghini Torched

4 hours ago, wakjak said:

Do you think the Germans are proudly celebrating their Nazi history by erecting statues of Nazi's? Probably not, and for good reason. 

They aren't celebrating it, they are definitely remembering it though. These memorials are not just to honor people, but to memorialize their affect on history be it good or bad. If you see that statue and remember who that is and what they did it should push you to learn from it. Either by following in their example or avoiding their mistakes. Seeing things such as the Confederate flag, or statues of Robert E. Lee should remind of us the war we fought over freedom. One of the most defining wars in the United States' history. It should remind us of the lessons we learned, and where such divisiveness can take our country.

Removing these monuments undermines that history.

4 hours ago, LaP said:

Not saying i agree with the removal of the statues but this is not really defacing history. Defacing history would be rewriting the history books and documentaries. This is just the removal of some statues.

To remove monuments of the past is indeed defacing history. You relegate the past to what's printed in books. Books which are subject to change over the course of time (especially today). And I hate to be the slipper slope here, but this is only the start. What else are we going to censor ourselves from? What if we were to tear down the home of George Washington because he had slaves. The Washington monument, a literal icon of Washington D.C. What about Mt. Rushmore? What monuments are "just some x" and which aren't? Rather than removing these icons of a troubled past why don't we instead educate people on what they stand for?

1 hour ago, wakjak said:

They probably would.

No, they wouldn't.

Edited by Emn1ty

• 2 months later...
On 1/20/2016 at 0:00 PM, Emn1ty said:

This has nothing to do with racism. To be perfectly frank, this is a defacing of history. Removing a flag was one thing, but removing memorials? This is getting very dicey. Just because we don't agree with history doesn't mean we wipe it off the face of the earth. These monuments stand as a testament to the hardships and internal struggles of United States history. How we got to where we are, where we came from, however you want to put it.

We've become so intolerant of intolerance, we are beginning to erase all record of human progress.

I so agree with this. What's funny is people believe the confederate flag stood solely for slavery. Honestly, I find history to be more important than Algebra. Kids these days, aren't taught crap.

On 1/20/2016 at 11:25 AM, wakjak said:

good to see that racism is still strong in the south.

And what part of this is racist? Removing a historical monument to not "offend" the African Population? Get out, just get the hell on out. This isn't racism at all.

On 1/20/2016 at 0:12 PM, nekrosoft13 said:

exactly, fools that ignore history will be doomed to repeat it.

I was born in Eu, and partially raised in Eu, and finished High School In USA, American history books are a joke, a lot of stuff is either not mentioned and "changed" to not anger people. Its a total joke what this country is doing.

America will fall. I say this, being an American, I look at what we've become in the last decade. We've advanced so much technologically, but psychologically we've deteriorated massively. We're at the point now, where things are turning into a powder keg. When that keg goes off... It's going to be unreal. I believe we're marching towards the second Civil War. With how the military is today, it would be a slaughter, and we'd have "V for Vendetta"... State ran everything, no freedoms...

On 1/20/2016 at 0:26 PM, oldtimefighter said:

Idiots and cowards... You NEVER touch a man's car.

Precisely why they did it. IF a man values a inanimate object more than animate objects, he ought to lose said inanimate objects. Like the woman said, the car can be replaced, but someone has something to say.

6 hours ago, BinaryData said:

Precisely why they did it. IF a man values a inanimate object more than animate objects, he ought to lose said inanimate objects. Like the woman said, the car can be replaced, but someone has something to say.

My comment had nothing to do with valuing inanimate objects more than animate ones??? They did that because they were cowards... My point is, if someone is going to touch my property that is enough for me to provide a teaching moment for that person and let them decide if their resulting broken body was worth it.

Edited by oldtimefighter

It would appear to be an act of malice plain and simple against someone who was legaly contracted to remove a controverecial statue.As to the staue, removing it from view wont change history in any way shape or form it is as the car is an inanimate object not a tribute or testament of noteworthlyness.

On 4/2/2016 at 1:06 AM, Solid Knight said:

There's a push to remove Andrew Jackson's statue as well because he was a racist. Seems rather pointless since he's on the twenty-dollar bill.

That is stupid.  They lived in a different "era" ... right or wrong ... that was the time they lived in.  What is next ... remove the Washington Monument, change the name of Washington DC, erase everything about George Washington ... because he held slaves?  I'm hating how they are vilifying our past leaders who obviously can not defend themselves now...rewriting history.  

As@Emn1tystated "To remove monuments of the past is indeed defacing history."  Enough is enough already.

Of course...no one should be touching or threatening this person who is just carrying out a duty appointed to him.  However, those that are issuing the orders need to take a breath and think about what they are doing.

Removing the statue will anger some but leaving it may also lead to it being damaged by others so there is no winning solution.

What have we reduced ourselves to?

The statues have been there for how long and now we're thinking this has something to do with the killings in SC?

Then some numb nut goes and torches a person's car?

Have to agree with JHBrown about embarrassing ourselves still, yet and again!