Blue-Ray disc playback, what program can I use?

Question

I just installed a blue-ray player in my system, and bought a disc from wal-mart, but none of the programs I have will play the disc. JetAudio which is my primary media player can not open the disc, and windows media player says something about missing codecs... I downloaded a trial of Corel WinDVD but it only plays the opening chapter (the 20 seconds of the opening) but never goes past it. Can someone help me out here?

6 answers to this question

Assuming you are using Windows there is PowerDVD, Macgo player, and leawo blu-ray player. PowerDVD is really expensive, Macgo player is middle range expensive, and Leawo blu ray player is free.

From my experience Power DVD is the best of the 3 but as I said it's really expensive and suffers from feature bloat. Macgo player felt more or less like Leawo blu-ray player to me only with a different skin so it's probably best to avoid that one. Also as far as Macgo player and Leawo blu-ray player go they bother suffer from the opposite problem of PowerDVD, not enough features.

These are the only reliable solutions I've found to play blu-rays on a windows pc without resorting to ripping them and converting them.

There are ways to get VLC player to play some blu rays but it's very unreliable, only seems to work on about 1 out of every 5 or 6 blu rays I own.

Hopefully others have better suggestions because I'm honestly not happy with any of the ones I mentioned above for various reasons.

Thanks for your response, I noticed that Power DVD is selling for $99,99, which seems like way to much to spend for a program!

Perhaps this can be of help, sir?

https://www.neowin.net/news/leawo-blu-ray-player-1923

Seems to be freewae which allows BD playback. Just be sure when you are installing it to uncheck any bundled software, if it has any.

* sorry, didn't notice trag3dy already mentioned it.

so you bought just OEM br reader/writer that didn't come with any player software? 

Want another option makemkv - just rip your bluray to mkv and watch it in whatever player you like that understands mkv.

9 minutes ago, BudMan said:

so you bought just OEM br reader/writer that didn't come with any player software? 

Want another option makemkv - just rip your bluray to mkv and watch it in whatever player you like that understands mkv.

Yes, I bought a 'open box' from newegg and it came with no software.

@compl3x I did not see that software before, I am going to try it out, since the only other alternative seems to be a $100 program!