"Installing update x of x" now gone in Windows 10?

Hi, I have a fresh Windows 10 install. I realized that installs every update, so okay, I have no choice. But when I installed two updates a few days ago, I noticed that when I clicked "update and shut down," it did not display the usual "installing update x of x" while installing updates. It only displayed "shutting down."

Is this normal? Thanks.

This is what I have seen, example Win 10 X64 Pro (non insider install)

"Checking for updates" message  shows, when initiated manually from "settings"

Updates are listed at top when found.

Asks to download (metered connections, and gives max possible size)

Percentage shows as downloading and once downloaded, installation starts and shows updates above, and as it installs each one, it is removed from top list.

A re check for updates is automatically done,

When all installed, you are asked when to restart, at a predetermined time or now.

Please correct me if I missed something or messed this up...

:)

50 minutes ago, Draggendrop said:

Percentage shows as downloading and once downloaded, installation starts and shows updates above, and as it installs each one, it is removed from top list.

When all installed, you are asked when to restart, at a predetermined time or now.

I'd also like to know. All I know for now is that they don't get in my way anymore (compared to older versions of windows).

Turn on verbose messages in local machine policy.

Run mmc.exe -> Add Group Policy Object Editor (local computer)

Expand Local Computer Policy -> Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> System then scroll down and enable "Display highly detailed status messages"

• Like 3

If you install the updates before restarting you won't get the count of updates, just configuring updates. It's been like this since Vista. Since Windows 10 seems to install the updates as soon as it gets them it's probably doing that phase before you restart.

2 hours ago, neufuse said:

Saying just "shutting down" makes you think something isn't right when it takes forever..... they really need to say exactly what it is doing

They also need to provide a changelog of what it's actually doing as well. :p

• Like 2

Starting with Windows 8, I have noticed that more updates install in the background or before the beginning of the few restarts required BY updates.  However, this is, in fact, a very OLD mantra that goes back to NT 4 (and the Alchin/Cutler war on reboots).  While video driver updates can require reboots, they don't always, and background GRAPHICS driver updates (such as Intel HD driver updates for those of us using QuickSync for example) are no longer forcing reboots as a requirement.  Nowadays, only a build change will require a reboot pretty much.

8 hours ago, ZeroHour said:

Turn on verbose messages in local machine policy.

Run mmc.exe -> Add Group Policy Object Editor (local computer)

Expand Local Computer Policy -> Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> System then scroll down and enable "Display highly detailed status messages"

Is this disabled by default? If yes, then it could really help me track down what it's really doing when it's shutting down.

9 hours ago, Draggendrop said:

So it's possible for Windows 10 to install updates right there on the Windows environment even without shutting down?

10 hours ago, neufuse said:

Saying just "shutting down" makes you think something isn't right when it takes forever..... they really need to say exactly what it is doing

Exactly. This is what I felt during the first time it updated. It took more than 15 minutes..still "shutting down." So it made me worry that something was wrong.

I would prefer the Windows 8.1 way, where they still tell you how many updates are being installed.

Thanks for the answers guys. I have only noticed this when an update is about to be installed. If there is none, it takes only a reasonable time to shut down. But then again, whenever it's installing updates when shutting down, I can't help but feel that there's something wrong.

I still prefer the Windows 8.1 way, where they still tell you how many updates are being installed. :p

Edited by JustinCharlier
Moaaar info

18 minutes ago, JustinCharlier said:

So it's possible for Windows 10 to install updates right there on the Windows environment even without shutting down?

Actually, no. This is the "manual" update approach. Once every update is complete, the "shut down and restart" will be required as per the update in question. Some updates require no reboot, but others like the "cumulative system update will. You are able to use the system as is and full update will be complete upon next restart, and as mentioned in an above post....message of 30% then shutdown...remainder done on restart.

I may have been a little vague in my explanation...sorry...

8 hours ago, JustinCharlier said:

Is this disabled by default? If yes, then it could really help me track down what it's really doing when it's shutting down.

It is disabled by default yes.

On 1/29/2016 at 2:50 PM, Draggendrop said:

Actually, no. This is the "manual" update approach. Once every update is complete, the "shut down and restart" will be required as per the update in question. Some updates require no reboot, but others like the "cumulative system update will. You are able to use the system as is and full update will be complete upon next restart, and as mentioned in an above post....message of 30% then shutdown...remainder done on restart.

I may have been a little vague in my explanation...sorry...

Sigh. And just when a cumulative update has just been released. Thanks. I'll keep observing the system's behavior once it prompts me again to "update and shut down."

Ahh, Microsoft. I'm starting to feel alienated from you.

15 hours ago, ZeroHour said:

It is disabled by default yes.

Okay, thanks, I shall try this once I get prompted by another update. At least it will indicate what it's exactly doing.