Teenager Accused Of Kangaroo Bomb Plot

Sevdet Besim allegedly told a British accomplice he planned to paint a kangaroo with the IS symbol and use it to attack police.

Sevdet Besim

A teenager accused of plotting a terror attack in Australia allegedly discussed stuffing a kangaroo with explosives and setting it loose on police, a court has heard.

Sevdet Besim, 19, revealed the plan, which involved painting the animal with the Islamic State symbol, during an online conversation with a British accomplice, prosecutors have alleged. 

He is accused of preparing a major IS-inspired terror attack in Melbourne to coincide with an Anzac Day ceremony to commemorate World War One.

The alleged kangaroo plot was revealed in court documents presented at Melbourne Magistrates Court, where Besim pleaded not guilty to four charges.

A fifth charge of conspiring to commit a terrorist act was dropped.

According to the court documents, Besim also talked about running over and then beheading a police officer. 

"I'd love to take out some cops", he is reported to have written.

"I was gonna meet with them then take some heads ahaha".

"(I am) "ready to fight these dogs on there (sic) doorstep," he is alleged to have added.

Besim was arrested in Melbourne alongside four other alleged conspirators in April last year, a week before Anzac Day.

He was remanded in custody and will appear in the Victorian Supreme Court on 3 February.

He faces a potential life sentence if convicted.

In October a 15-year-old boy, who has been described as Britain's youngest terrorist, was sentenced to life in prison for his role in the plot.

Passing sentence at Manchester Crown Court, Judge John Saunders said the teenager, who cannot be named because of his age, had no chance of parole for five years.

Anzac Day marks the first major military action fought by the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps during World War One.

Hundreds of thousands attend commemoration services around Australia every year on 25 April.

http://news.sky.com/story/1631374/teenager-accused-of-kangaroo-bomb-plot