Samsung 850 EVO/PRO 1TB or Plextor M6 PRO 1TB?

I would get the Samsung 850 Pro because it does offer the highest performance of the three with a better endurance rating than the EVO. Also, Samsung is a more established name in the SSD market.

However, all the SSDs are really fast. If you are working around a budget the EVO would be a more desirable choice.

I was one of the unfortunate owners of the 840 EVO where the entire product line had bit decay that finally needed a firmware update that patrolled the array refreshing the bits to maintain performance. Even though Samsung totally bungled that product line, their current SSDs are great and I use them all the time.

46 minutes ago, Kami- said:

2 - best performance per $, albeit buy it elsewhere - that price tag is higher than most places I'd choose to buy from...

I am in Canada, we do not have a lot of choices, there are only 3 -- not counting BestBuy, which sells the 850 for $599.99 -- chain computer stores:

Memory Express, $499.99; this is linked and will price match and will beat by 10%

NCIX, $499.99; will price match

Canada Computers, $449.99; surprisingly they are sellling it $50 cheaper

Here's the thing, Memory Express is in AB & MB, NCIX is in BC & ON, Canada Computers is only in ON.  And there are 2 MEs in Edmonton, so it's easier to get from, where NCIX & CC I'd have to get it shipped.

And the purchase won't be for a few weeks yet, because I still need to get the following:

Replacement battery for the G75VW

Brand? 2TB External HDD

The other things, can be bought any time:

S850E/P1TBSSD

(Brand?)2TBHDD

Corsair 32GB DDR3 RAM

Replacement plug to something smaller & "lighter".

1 hour ago, goatsniffer said:

I would get the Samsung 850 Pro because it does offer the highest performance of the three with a better endurance rating than the EVO. Also, Samsung is a more established name in the SSD market.

However, all the SSDs are really fast. If you are working around a budget the EVO would be a more desirable choice.

The difference between the EVO & PRO is negligible, of course I would love to find a comparison chart to see what the two offer side-by-side.

24 minutes ago, Thomas the Tank Engine said:

The difference between the EVO & PRO is negligible, of course I would love to find a comparison chart to see what the two offer side-by-side.

Reliability, longevity, and warranty on the Pro > Evo.

22 minutes ago, Anibal P said:

Amazon Canada is cheaper, didn't check Newegg but you should check with them too, maybe even Tiger Direct

Amazon Canada, starting price for the 850 EVO 1TB $482.12.

Newegg Canada, $449.99 only if you're a Premier member.

TigerDirect Canada, $469.99.

So, Memory Express works out to be the cheapest, because it will match Canada Computers' price of $449.99 and then beat it by 10%.  And, ME is local to me with two locations.

I wouldn't get any of them. Not for a new build, upgrading I might get 2, but frankly, 1TB isn't really needed. 250GB - 500GB is all you really need. Spend the rest on a platter drive.

I'd skip the 850s and get the 950s, but theres a reason you didn't list 'em.

I forgot to mention in my OP, which is in fact mentioned in my second post of this thread, that these are for my Asus ROG G75VW laptop!

15 hours ago, Thomas the Tank Engine said:

Amazon Canada, starting price for the 850 EVO 1TB $482.12.

Newegg Canada, $449.99 only if you're a Premier member.

TigerDirect Canada, $469.99.

So, Memory Express works out to be the cheapest, because it will match Canada Computers' price of $449.99 and then beat it by 10%.  And, ME is local to me with two locations.

To go with the above, in regards to the 850 PRO, I looked at prices at the same 6 locations:

Memory Express, $599.99; will price match and will beat by 10%

NCIX, $699.98; will price match

Canada Computers, $609.00

Amazon Canada, $619.41

Newegg Canada, $579.99 only if you're a Premier member.

TigerDirect Canada, $740.99

So, as you can see, Memory Express comes out on top every time!

Edited by Thomas the Tank Engine

You cant go wrong with those 3 SSD's. All have ram disk software to helps ease writes and increase performance. The lowest is 5yr warranty and their performance is basically maxing sata3 regardless. Unless your going to be smashing large amounts of data to warrant the 850 pro cost, go with the best priced one you can get. If it was me buying I would be getting the 850 evo 1tb.

• Like 1

So, got some money today that I had been waiting almost a year for.

I ended up buying the 850 EVO 1TB, as well as a 2TB Adata external drive, both of which Memory Express price matched, so my total was CAD$580.55.