We now have a clearer picture of how Xbox One is doing

I think our business seems to be operating pretty consistent as it has been over the last couple of years. The console purchases are up through the end of calendar year '15.

Our estimate is 55 million units out there which has exceeded virtually everyone's forecast for the year and now almost 50 per cent higher than previous console cycle so, all of that is very-very positive, all the gameplay we're seeing and the engagement and things like Ultimate Team we're seeing is positive.

We're just conscious of the fact that there's a lot of storm clouds out there, we want to be careful that we don't get ahead of ourselves or the economy in our forecast for the business and that's what you're hearing.

Sony does report PS4 sales. Earlier in January 2016, Sony said the PS4 had sold an incredible 35.9m units to customers around the world. So, we can now say Xbox One has an install base of around 19m.

More http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-01-29-we-now-have-a-clearer-picture-of-how-xbox-one-is-doing

Not trying to troll here, but my brother in-law's family has an XBox One that has never played a single game. Its the center of their entertainment 'system'. Its used for NetFlix, Amazon, a bit of Skype so how does this sale/usage factor into the EA numbers above. Microsoft did push the console as more than a gaming platform so isn't it possible that EA isn't aware of an unknown number of devices that do not play EA games?  Not being a console owner myself maybe this is not a valid point. Does the initial XBox One setup require you to create an EA account?  Does the Playstaion require an EA account? If not then I guess we can't really draw any conclusions from the numbers.

None of them require EA accounts. As for how EA know the numbers, the numbers exist, from NPD/worldwide sales tracking, it's just MS are choosing right now not to disclose publicly. When you are a company the size of EA you either have access to these numbers, or you have contacts that do. EA were careful not to break down the sales ratio directly, just give an overall number, which MS can't really stop them doing. Due to the fact Sony are releasing their numbers it's just a simple subtraction of maths we need to do.

13 minutes ago, Audioboxer said:

None of them require EA accounts. As for how EA know the numbers, the numbers exist, from NPD/worldwide sales tracking, it's just MS are choosing right now not to disclose publicly. When you are a company the size of EA you either have access to these numbers, or you have contacts that do. EA were careful not to break down the sales ratio directly, just give an overall number, which MS can't really stop them doing. Due to the fact Sony are releasing their numbers it's just a simple subtraction of maths we need to do.

except they don't report sold. but

we can now say Xbox One has an install base of around 19m.

So this seems to be their internal EA users on xbox numbers, so the xbox the above users talks about doesn't factor in

26 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

except they don't report sold. but

So this seems to be their internal EA users on xbox numbers, so the xbox the above users talks about doesn't factor in

Sony or MS? Sony report sell through on milestone releases, which is sold. Or if you want further confirmation, 30.2m sold through in November, and then 5.7m of actual sales for holiday season 2015. Shipped was 8.4m for holiday season 2015, sold through 5.7m.

As for your second point, I don't know. EA said 55 million consoles (Our estimate is 55 million units out there), they haven't broken anything down, or mentioned EA accounts.

Seriously. their statement specifically says "INSTALL BASE" how hard is that to understand that it's not the same as "sold" 

had it been based n NPD numbers of "sold" units, they would have said "sold". install base is a very specific meaning. 

• Like 1

Hasn't it always been rumoured that the PS4 is selling somewhere around the 1/3rd to 50% more than XB1 since release? Those numbers fit in pretty well with that so I'm sure EA are fairly close with their number. 

2 hours ago, Zag L. said:

Not trying to troll here, but my brother in-law's family has an XBox One that has never played a single game. Its the center of their entertainment 'system'. Its used for NetFlix, Amazon, a bit of Skype so how does this sale/usage factor into the EA numbers above. Microsoft did push the console as more than a gaming platform so isn't it possible that EA isn't aware of an unknown number of devices that do not play EA games?  Not being a console owner myself maybe this is not a valid point. Does the initial XBox One setup require you to create an EA account?  Does the Playstaion require an EA account? If not then I guess we can't really draw any conclusions from the numbers.

Yes, and even more will use it for OTA TV once the DVR feature is unlocked this year. MS has done a terrible job of marketing how awesome the games look and perform and the multimedia features. The OTA TV and OneGuide are AWESOME. As is the streaming to PC.

SlingTV is best on Xbox One as well. In fact, it's better to stream it to PC from Xbox than using the flaky PC app. I didn't even unbox my Xbox One for almost a month listening to online FUD. Who knew ... I wholeheartedly recommend an XBox One, and I'm not even an MS fan at the moment.

25 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

Seriously. their statement specifically says "INSTALL BASE" how hard is that to understand that it's not the same as "sold" 

had it been based n NPD numbers of "sold" units, they would have said "sold". install base is a very specific meaning. 

Who, Sony or this EA remark? Sony have been reporting sell through HawkMan, if you're arguing they've not you're making yourself look silly, and for what obtuse point I really do not know.

If you mean EA then all this means is MS' number must be less than 19m sold through, as Sony are factually at 35.9m sold. Shipped is higher than that and I've shown you this with their financial report just released which does use shipped numbers (5.7 vs 8.4 for same quarter, one is sell through, one is shipped). If you want to argue MS must be higher than 19m sold through, then I guess you can, but there's no other sources out there to go on as MS are not reporting numbers anymore. This is all we have (other than NPD US sales). Whatever EA are basing their numbers on, you subtract either 35.9m for sold through, or you subtract something slightly higher than that if they're talking shipped.

I did add "EA say" in the topic title. If MS want to confirm/deny what news outlets are now running with it will be up to them.

edit: If you're meaning the "install base" remark in the title, I added that. EA didn't say install base... EA's remark is in post 1 in full, and the Eurogamer link has a generic "we now have a clearer picture of how Xbox is doing". If this is going to cause a fuss I'll just change the title of the topic and take out 19m.

This article is about EA, and EA are the one reporting "install base". 

install base is most likely going to be very close to sold anyway, whether EA is reporting total install base of active consoles or consoles with eA software, as pretty much all consoles have some EA software. Very few run it exclusively as a media streamer.  

11 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

This article is about EA, and EA are the one reporting "install base". 

install base is most likely going to be very close to sold anyway, whether EA is reporting total install base of active consoles or consoles with eA software, as pretty much all consoles have some EA software. Very few run it exclusively as a media streamer.  

No they aren't, so I'm going to change the title so this is stopped being said. All EA said was "Our estimate is 55 million units out there".

Common sense dictates they are not saying 55 million individual units have EA software... That would suggest nearly 100% of console owners own an EA game that runs MP online/has some sort of online component. As big as EA are, this is not going to be the case. They would also have said if they were talking EA accounts/EA titles.

As I said earlier the numbers exist, and just because MS are choosing not to report them does not mean no-one knows how many Xbox One's have been sold/shipped. Even EA are saying they are estimating, but an estimate from a giant publisher is better to listen to than VGChartz. The last milestone we have from MS was 10m shipped back in 2014. To be at 19m sold through, with 20 odd million shipped now doesn't seem like the impossible/totally wrong.

• Like 1

In the grand scheme of things this is just something else to argue over for no reason, the important things here are that the Xbox One is doing better than the 360 at the same point in it's life and that Xbox Live users are growing.  Catching up to Sony at this point doesn't do much but give you bragging rights about who's first and so on.  At the most it forces MS to push out a redesign sooner and probably a whole new Xbox before they planned to.

If they do a new system, i'm guessing it happens in 2018, and if they're smart it stays x86 and fully supports current games.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Zag L. said:

...my brother in-law's family has an XBox One that has never played a single game. Its the center of their entertainment 'system'. Its used for NetFlix, Amazon, a bit of Skype...

Seriously?!?  That's an extremely expensive streaming only box.  If they weren't going to play even a single game wouldn't they have been far better off just picking up a MUCH cheaper Roku?  If all you want is streaming then Roku is king... heck with respect to streaming only, the Roku 4 can do things even the much more expensive Xbox One and PS4 can't (namely 4k@60fps)

• Like 1

On 1/29/2016 at 2:02 PM, Asmodai said:

Seriously?!?  That's an extremely expensive streaming only box.  If they weren't going to play even a single game wouldn't they have been far better off just picking up a MUCH cheaper Roku?  If all you want is streaming then Roku is king... heck with respect to streaming only, the Roku 4 can do things even the much more expensive Xbox One and PS4 can't (namely 4k@60fps)

maybe it was purchased as a gift?  or maybe they would like to have the option(s) to play console based games if the urge to do so were to ever arise.

On 1/29/2016 at 7:02 PM, Asmodai said:

I'd go Nvidia shield. IMO it is the best streaming box, codec wise, and speed. Plus it can do some gaming as well.

27 minutes ago, Audioboxer said:

I'd go Nvidia shield. IMO it is the best streaming box, codec wise, and speed. Plus it can do some gaming as well.

I'm not sure what you mean "codec wise".  Both Roku 4 and nVidia Shield do HEVC and have HDMI 2.0 ports that allow for 4k@60fps.  As far as I know they are the only two boxes that do (Amazon Fire TV can do 4k@30fps but not 60fps and Apple TV doesn't support 4k at all).

There's no question the nVidia Shield is a more powerful box and if you're interested in gaming is a better option but the point was they AREN'T apparently interested in gaming AT ALL if they have a Xbox One now "that has never played a single game".  As such in getting the nVidia Shield you're buying a whole bunch of extra processing power that you'll apparently never use.  The Roku 4 is $70 cheaper (by MSRP, not counting sales on either) I believe and if you don't care about 4k the Roku 3 is even less.  Roku is the #1 selling streaming device (not sure if that's U.S. or globally) so it tends to be the best supported.

http://www.cnet.com/topics/media-streamers/best-media-streamers/

Even in that list above one Roku or another wins in just about every category outside of the ecosystem specific ones like "Amazon Fans" and "Apple Users".

• Like 1

Just now, Asmodai said:

I'm not sure what you mean "codec wise".  Both Roku 4 and nVidia Shield do HEVC and have HDMI 2.0 ports that allow for 4k@60fps.  As far as I know they are the only two boxes that do (Amazon Fire TV can do 4k@30fps but not 60fps and Apple TV doesn't support 4k at all).

There's no question the nVidia Shield is a more powerful box and if you're interested in gaming is a better option but the point was they AREN'T apparently interested in gaming AT ALL if they have a Xbox One now "that has never played a single game".  As such in getting the nVidia Shield you're buying a whole bunch of extra processing power that you'll apparently never use.  The Roku 4 is $70 cheaper (by MSRP, not counting sales on either) I believe and if you don't care about 4k the Roku 3 is even less.  Roku is the #1 selling streaming device (not sure if that's U.S. or globally) so it tends to be the best supported.

http://www.cnet.com/topics/media-streamers/best-media-streamers/

Even in that list above one Roku or another wins in just about every category outside of the ecosystem specific ones like "Amazon Fans" and "Apple Users".

Ahh wasn't sure if the Roku 4 could do 10bit/HEVC.