Clever shopkeeper keeps robbers away with homemade flame thrower

It's a trick known to almost every kid who has been to school camp, but as it turns out, a homemade flame thrower can have some real world applications.

Two men with what appeared to be firearms tried to rob a store in Queensland's Alexandra Hills at 6:30 a.m. local time Saturday, Queensland Police told Mashable Australia. Not taking that lying down, store owner Dan Rigney took up the weapons available to him to defend his shop: fly spray and a cigarette lighter. In other words, a makeshift flame thrower.

The fiery surprise made the robbers temporarily retreat and stumble, as the security footage obtained by Nine News shows, before moving around to ransack the till and allowing Rigney a moment to escape. According to the outlet, they made off with A$680 (US$481), which doesn't seem like much after being embarrassed by a can of pressurized insect repellent.

Kudos to Rigney for his quick thinking. As a customer told the Nine News reporter, "I wouldn't like to cross him, that's for sure."

Queensland Police said no one was injured and investigations are continuing.

http://mashable.com/2016/01/30/shopkeeper-robbers-flame-thrower/

14 minutes ago, xendrome said:

Umm, that lasted for all of 10 seconds then he still got robbed. I don't even get this story at all....

Yup I was thinking the same. At this rate he ends up robbed and burning down his own store at the same time :rofl:

"Keeps robbers away" is an entirely incorrect title.

18 minutes ago, DocM said:

A 12 guage with buckshot loads works better, and the "clack" of clambering a round sends 98% of miscreants running for the hills - screaming like little girls.

Yes yes, I get it, you like guns and live in a country where guns are acceptable for people to own in day to day life.  I think that point has been made just once or twice.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Buttus said:

he should just keep a squirt bottle filled with gasoline behind the counter, and a lighter....

Yeah that would go well.

Title accurately should be "Stupid shopkeeper almost lights his store on fire while being robbed by gun-toting bad guys"

• Like 2

An safer alternate would be to enable an indelible dye that sprays over anybody in front of the counter or opening the till