Wanted to Buy Nexus 6P - But No!

I was just about to buy Nexus 6P but I just backed off. Here's why:

First it doesn't have 60fps video recording. Which is very important to me. You can try any software, firmware, upgrade, this and that but you cannot record 60fps on 6P.

Second, It has SD 810. All phones from now on will mostly have SD 820. Samsung will have it in GS7 just next month. 

Third, No SD Card Slot

Fourth, I have heard stories about back glass being broken by many users. 

The only thing I liked about Nexus 6P is Stock ROM; Pure Android Experience, Fast and Direct updates from google. 

Now I am considering Galaxy S7, GS7 Edge or GS7 Edge Plus. I am currently using GS5 so it will be a big upgrade for me.

Anyone else with similar opinions? or any points  contrary to mine?

Some valid points but:

6P came out last year. Of course something newer is on the horizon. The bigger question is will OEMs slow down the 820 to the speed of a Nexus 6P with an 810 with their crap software?

As for the back breaking, maybe said users should be more careful. Glass breaks on every device. Except the Droid Turbo 2. Of course, that is more plastic than glass.

Nexus 6P was one of my choices for a new phone, but with no card slot, even the 128 gig phone just wasn't gonna fo it for me. I need lots of music to listen to. Nice phone though. And Android 6 is awesome.

I really don't find the lack of a card slot to be an issue. I have adapters for MicroSD Cards and Flash Sticks. An additional small adapter was required to make them fit the USB-C port on the 6P. With a 128 GB MicroSD card and USB Stick, I will be good to go for some time to come. Oh yeah, I am spending 2 bucks a month on 100 GB of Google Drive storage. 

Here's what I went with for the adapters:

http://www.amazon.com/Leef-microSD-microUSB-Connector-Android/dp/B00J2D7R20/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1454391583&sr=8-1&keywords=micro+sd+otg+adapter+leaf

http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Micro-USB-OTG-Adapter/dp/B00BFYH11Q/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

http://www.amazon.com/TechMatte-Connector-Resistor-Approved-Standard/dp/B016PQH4BA/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1454391804&sr=1-2&keywords=Microusb+to+usb-c+techmatte

Anyway, good luck in your search for a device that works for you. At the end of the day, I want a clean experience with my phone's OS. Coming from an Asus Zenfone 2, I was so sick of the bloated crud that was on my phone. Now, iPhones are great, but I need the OTG capability. And Windows Phones lack the apps. I've only had my 6P for a couple of weeks and I am by no means an expert, but I am just loving it so far! I ended up selling my Zenfone and 2013 Nexus 7 back to Amazon, so we're building a nice fund for the wife to get a 5X this summer.

I'm not really into taking video, as I much prefer photography, so I can't comment on your recording concerns.

Samsung has "promised" that their next Fflagship i.e GS7 Series will be bloat free. But anyways, Bloatware is not that big issue for rooted users since all that crap can be turned off or permanently removed.

1 hour ago, Abalabakubulogu said:

Samsung has "promised" that their next Fflagship i.e GS7 Series will be bloat free. But anyways, Bloatware is not that big issue for rooted users since all that crap can be turned off or permanently removed.

They are lying. I'll make that prediction right now and put money on it if you are a betting man. 

Bloat at has less to do with it than the actual overlay which you can hide and paint a different color if rooted, but never remove unless you flash a rom. Roms have their own special issues a lot of the time too. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

Roms have their own special issues a lot of the time too. 

Isn't that issue with Android Stock Rom as well? From time to time we see problems even with Nexus Devices.

Just now, Abalabakubulogu said:

Isn't that issue with Android Stock Rom as well? From time to time we see problems even with Nexus Devices.

Not the same problems I am talking about. I am talking about outright broken features, broken security features, lack of digital signing, incompatible drivers, etc.

I think this has been beaten to death. If you don't like the phone/it doesn't meet your needs, move on. No need to let the world know your feelings on every phone because everyone has different needs. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

Not the same problems I am talking about. I am talking about outright broken features, broken security features, lack of digital signing, incompatible drivers, etc.

I had been using Galaxy S5 since 2014. Though I don't like it anymore and I personally think it sucks, I have never had it compromised in terms of "broken features, broken security features, lack of digital signing, incompatible drivers, etc."

2 minutes ago, tsupersonic said:

I think this has been beaten to death. If you don't like the phone/it doesn't meet your needs, move on. No need to let the world know your feelings on every phone because everyone has different needs. 

Not that I am beating drums and letting whole world know about it. I just want opinions about which phone is better than 6P. Because I am in market to buy a new phone after 2 years.

4 minutes ago, Abalabakubulogu said:

Not that I am beating drums and letting whole world know about it. I just want opinions about which phone is better than 6P. Because I am in market to buy a new phone after 2 years.

Yeah, but it's not productive to talk about a phone (GS7 + variants) that hasn't even been announced/released, and spewing rumors (SD820, "bloat free") which may or may not be true. What are your needs in a phone? You haven't clearly defined that outside of interests in 60 FPS video recording, SD820 and expandable storage. 

8 minutes ago, tsupersonic said:

You haven't clearly defined that outside of interests in 60 FPS video recording, SD820 and expandable storage. 

Aren't those few legit reasons to consider some phone that has those features?

60fps = Better Video

SD820 = Better Performance, Gaming, Speed etc

SD Card = Multiple Storage Mediums

Removable Battery

Wireless Charging

Sensors (Not Necessary, But good to have then not having) Heart rate, SPO2, temperature

Radio

Image stabilization Camera Feature

Just some of the features that I could think right now.

29 minutes ago, Abalabakubulogu said:

I had been using Galaxy S5 since 2014. Though I don't like it anymore and I personally think it sucks, I have never had it compromised in terms of "broken features, broken security features, lack of digital signing, incompatible drivers, etc."

I bet you have and didn't know it.

I've built roms, both from source and custom OEM stuff. You would be surprised.

1 hour ago, adrynalyne said:

I bet you have and didn't know it.

to know something, one has to experience it. 

If my phones security gets compromised, i'll know it. 

13 minutes ago, Abalabakubulogu said:

to know something, one has to experience it. 

If my phones security gets compromised, i'll know it. 

Most compiled Roms out there are just ticking time bombs. Just forewarning ya. 

1 hour ago, Abalabakubulogu said:

Aren't those few legit reasons to consider some phone that has those features?

60fps = Better Video

SD820 = Better Performance, Gaming, Speed etc

SD Card = Multiple Storage Mediums

Removable Battery

Wireless Charging

Sensors (Not Necessary, But good to have then not having) Heart rate, SPO2, temperature

Radio

Image stabilization Camera Feature

Just some of the features that I could think right now.

There isn't a phone that ticks all those boxes today (granted the 820 isn't really out in mainstream). The closest phone out there with those features is the LG G4 or V10. You should pay close attention to the G4/V10's successor, rather than the Galaxy series. 

1: It does video at 240FPS = even better video by your logic.

2: It's a 6 month old phone - of course newer phones come with the SD 820. The 810 can still do anything thrown at it today.

3: Nexus phones haven't had an SD slot in generations now - its just one of those things.

4: I've heard stories of people dropping iphones and smashing the glass. I've also heard stories of people dropping SGS6 Edge's and smashing the glass. You drop a phone, it's got a chance of breaking any glass on it.

My thought's on wireless charging: I've got a phone that has wireless charging, and I've not used it once. Want to know why? The phone I had before this I used wireless charging religiously and I'm pretty sure it killed the battery 4 times faster because of the heat that gets built up using wireless charging. Seriously, so much more heat is created through that.

Is there any news on what SGS7s are getting the SD820 and which ones are getting the Ex8890? 

1 hour ago, Biohead said:

1: It does video at 240FPS = even better video by your logic.

2: It's a 6 month old phone - of course newer phones come with the SD 820. The 810 can still do anything thrown at it today.

3: Nexus phones haven't had an SD slot in generations now - its just one of those things.

4: I've heard stories of people dropping iphones and smashing the glass. I've also heard stories of people dropping SGS6 Edge's and smashing the glass. You drop a phone, it's got a chance of breaking any glass on it.

My thought's on wireless charging: I've got a phone that has wireless charging, and I've not used it once. Want to know why? The phone I had before this I used wireless charging religiously and I'm pretty sure it killed the battery 4 times faster because of the heat that gets built up using wireless charging. Seriously, so much more heat is created through that.

Is there any news on what SGS7s are getting the SD820 and which ones are getting the Ex8890? 

I heard North American/ European Models may get SD820 and Asian or others Ex8890.

I am surprised that the Nexus 6P doesn't support 1080p @ 60fps, as I was under the impression it did when I bought it. From what I understand the hardware supports it yet even when you use third-party software it can't record at 1080p @ 60fps, only @ 30fps or 720p @ 120fps / 240fps. I really do hope that Google adds support at a later date, as it's a feature I'd like myself - my previous phone, the Note 3, supported it. As for the back glass, I've dropped my phone numerous times and haven't done any damage. For what it's worth I was in Carphone Warhouse the other day and saw their Galaxy S6 Edge display model has a cracked screen around the button, emanating outwards. I don't think any are inherently weak, I think some people are just unlucky. It's not like the iPhone, where the number of broken displays is absurd.

The criticism you've listed is perfectly valid and if the phone doesn't suite your needs then I'd advise waiting for something better to come along. Personally I've been extremely happy with my Nexus 6P.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I used to really hate Nexus phones. First because they weren't available in the US (on the major networks anyway) and second because they didn't have memory card slots. Now I have — let me check my phone's countdown, yes it has one — 122 days left with Verizon. So when I have ~2 days left, I'm going to order my phone and get set up with Project Fi, so I can switch the day of.

Let's talk about memory cards. You look at them on Amazon, some have 48MB/s read/write ,some have 80, mine has 90. What if I told you smartphone chipsets cap their read/write speed at 10-15MB/s? That's what I've heard, and I've seen lower r/w speeds on my SD card than in internal storage. So you want 1080p60 video recording, you're going to need fast write speeds to keep up. I would hate to miss a shot because my camera couldn't keep up.

I would be worried about the Snapdragon 810 and in fact I was. The original SD810 had overheating issues. Samsung dodged that bullet and went Exynos for US models (they were using Exynos outside the US before anyway). HTC took the hit and the M9 sold poorly. Qualcomm made a "2.1" SD810, and results were mixed. From what I've heard, the Nexus 6P has no overheating issues, and it isn't underclocking or undervolting the SD810 to get around them, either.

But if you want a Samsung, absolutely get a Samsung. Both Samsungs I've owned (Acclaim and Galaxy S3) got terrible signal. But one was $50 with $20 in Play Store (then Android Market) credit, and the other came out four years ago. Still, every Samsung has its navigation keys reversed, and they're capacitive. I personally don't like that. But, all that aside, the Note 5, the Galaxy S6, and the S6 Edge, are all very beautiful phones. I wouldn't say you'd be wrong to pick one, or to wait for the 7. And really, the Edge feels super premium. Any activity that involves swiping from either side will just feel great. So maybe the Galaxy S7 Edge is the phone for you. I'm about 80% sure it will have a memory card slot, but Samsung's internal storage is known to be super fast. You will feel the difference. And some reports are saying the S7 will not have a memory card slot, but they are in the minority. Fortunately, we only have a week or two to find out from Samsung themselves.

If camera is more important to you, I would point you toward Sony. While Samsung is finally sharing their screens (they didn't used to), all the top camera phones last year used a Sony 12MP sensor. From the iPhone 6s, to the Nexus 6P and 5X. I'm not sure about the Galaxy 6, but I think it did as well. Sony themselves? The Xperia Z5 has a 23MP sensor. But, Sony doesn't like Americans. If you're outside the US, you can get and use their best phones. When they finally do come here, it's missing features, and their next phone is just around the corner. So I will never have a Sony phone. But, if you can get one, apparently they're pretty good. And their Android experience is stock-ish.

HTC is looking to be the front runner for Nexus OEM this year. I'd wait for that... but that won't be out until, like, November. Nexus One 2? Nexus Two? Who knows. I know I can't wait that long. I'm getting the 6P, going from the HTC One M8. And I bet HTC is going to make me regret not waiting. But, I'm tired of waiting for them to update my phone, so I guess it's a fair trade.