Wifes laptop artifacting

well got the screen and it works just fine. HOWEVER, I had a boo boo. I installed the new screen and was putting the overlaying touchscreen glass on and CRACK!. man was I mad! my wife's screen works just fine however she has a split in her touchscreen glass and I can't just up and buy one. Toshiba wouldn't even sell me one (go figure) to rectify the situation. so I'm, looking at replacing her laptop to a regular NON touchscreen laptop. I found one with about the same hardware as a means to smooth over things with the missus. (one of those things that husbands must suffer) :o I think my wife will be satisfied with getting a new laptop but I feel awful about the glass. Now I know why windows 8/8.1 and 10 touchscreen systems suck so bad. just another hassle of not cracking the touchscreen glass default_angry.png

my wife: default_FIREdevil.gif

Me: smiley-face-punching.gif(me)

Toshibas are quality. they are more geared towards businesses. What do you have against Toshiba? did you own one that went Tango uniform?

On 2/10/2016 at 9:00 PM, chrisj1968 said:

No I didn't. I'm hesitant being ham fisted on doing this without the tools. Plus my wife simply wants to replace the screen anyway.

How are you going to replace the screen without tools?

3 hours ago, chrisj1968 said:

Toshibas are quality. they are more geared towards businesses. What do you have against Toshiba? did you own one that went Tango uniform?

I've never seen one real business use Toshiba laptops as their main purchasing line of machine, actually I've never seen any business use them at all.

4 hours ago, chrisj1968 said:

Now I know why windows 8/8.1 and 10 touchscreen systems suck so bad. just another hassle of not cracking the touchscreen glass default_angry.png

Touchscreen systems don't "suck so bad" because you cracked the screen while putting it in.. what kind of though process is that?

They really are not. They have the worst customer service and their products are subpar. My first laptop was a Toshiba, and the backlight went out 1/2 days before the warranty expired. I called up support, and they basically blew me off and offered to troubleshoot my problems over the phone (which they thought was a virus) for $35. My 2nd Toshiba laptop died as well. Never again buying a Toshiba product again. I also have seen zero Toshiba's in the business line. It's dominated by Dell, Lenovo, or HP. 

nah toshibas have gotten very very bad in the last couple of years, support is just awful too.  These days when people ask me which brand to buy first thing I say is not Toshiba

Edited by Som

The bank I worked for in the late 90s bought Toshiba. I literally punched the touch pad daily due to the mouse moving up the page while I was typing up my reports. The thing never crashed even with my physical abuse for 2 years. 

4 hours ago, sc302 said:

Amazon has the digitizers for about 60 bux. That is your touch glass. 

I'l give it a shot thanks a million

4 minutes ago, chrisj1968 said:

I'l give it a shot thanks a million

when doing the search in amazon put in your model number + digitizer when searching.  So if I have a toshiba satellite 61579-6548 this would be my full search term.

toshiba 61579-6548 digitizer

or

toshiba 61579 digitizer

3 hours ago, tsupersonic said:

They really are not. They have the worst customer service and their products are subpar. My first laptop was a Toshiba, and the backlight went out 1/2 days before the warranty expired. I called up support, and they basically blew me off and offered to troubleshoot my problems over the phone (which they thought was a virus) for $35. My 2nd Toshiba laptop died as well. Never again buying a Toshiba product again. I also have seen zero Toshiba's in the business line. It's dominated by Dell, Lenovo, or HP. 

well I think the quality depends on what model series you buy. As I write this, they stopped making the Qosmio line of gaming laptops. They have moved to those stupid (IMHO) flip screen laptop/notebooks with touchscreen. I might consider acer or Asus. But I'm getting my wife a new laptop equivalent to what she has now. after viewing the Toshiba website, I might be in agreement. I have bought nothing but Toshiba's from abut 2008/2009 to now and had only one go bad during warranty when the mainboard went out. But I have noticed the cheaper line are flimsy cheap plastics. in 2014, I bought this Qosmio late 2014 while in school. I used my college refund from my financial aid to  get this so I had a laptop with some oompf and can game in my leisure time. It's been good to me but it better after plunking $1,499 for it.

4 hours ago, xendrome said:

How are you going to replace the screen without tools?

I bought the tools from where I got the screen itself https://www.laptopscreen.com/index.php they have screens itself for just about anything but no digitizers. but the digitizer is a real bummer to get out because it is connected to the hinges on the laptop and that's where I ascertained the crack came about. You DO have to futz with the screen to get it out and it isn't easy by any stretch of the word. but I feel obligated since it broken during my repair to make good and get my wife a viable replacement similar to her old one. I'm looking at Acer and others. She currently has an AMD A8 series but found her an A10 series which would be an upgrade.

This is my wife and since I love her tremendously and guilty at the same time, I'm going to rectify this

4 hours ago, xendrome said:

I've never seen one real business use Toshiba laptops as their main purchasing line of machine, actually I've never seen any business use them at all.

sorry for multi posts but to answer your posts, back in 2008/2009, I researched laptops. I knew to stay away at that time, HP because I met a user who had one at the airport and he had nothing but problems with it. the screen kept going bad, send it in under warranty, got it back new screen bad too.

*side note: when I got the think open and unscrewed, the screen connector is really small and was able to re-adhere the cable for her laptop camera.  

FWIW, just about everything is really small in laptops when you take them apart.

I wouldn't drop an entire brand base on one or two user complaints.  Perhaps that specific model, but not the brand.  HP does make good stuff, dell does make good stuff, lenovo does make good stuff and they have the warranty support behind it.  

Vaio does not have the warranty support behind them, when your warranty expires you are beat.  They do not have parts 2-3 year out of warranty unless they are common parts like drives, screens and such good luck (you are getting them 3rd party).  They were the absolute worst and unhelpful bunch when I called repeatedly regarding a laptop with a failed motherboard (about 6 months out of warranty).  They basically said to buy a new one, and that one was out of its support life...no option to send in and pay for repair.  That is the sole reason I don't recommend vaio's to anyone, it is because you are beat after warranty expires and there is absolutely no support regardless of how much you want to pay them. 

HP, dell, lenovo all have warranty support...if you have issues with one specific model, try a different one as it is likely to not have issues (different hardware and drivers and what not).  HP home line (pavilion dv4 I think) lasted me for about 8 years before it overheated and died due to heat.  I have had plenty of HP units that have been great to me, I have had HP units that I would not buy again....I can pretty much say that for all 3 manufactures that I have listed, they all have their duds.   Similar to seagate with the 3tb drives that constantly fail...their 1 and 2tb drives are rock solid, am I going to stop buying the 1 and 2s because the 3s suck?  Seems a little ridiculous doesn't it, sure if I need a 3 I will go elsewhere or maybe to a larger drive but in the meantime I will stay away from seagate 3s all together.