10" tablets with Android 6.x?

On 2/9/2016 at 5:58 PM, Elliot B. said:

So basically, high-end tablets only so far :(

Those are usually the only ones with a current version of android

• 9 months later...

Verizon Wireless (yes, I know - carrier-specific) is running a Black Friday special on their Ellipsis (put it this way; my MOM bit, and she already HAS a tablet - specifically, a SAMSUNG Galaxy Tab 4 running KitKat - and she's not firing it; she fired her PHONE, but for different reasons).  Eight inches (diagonal) of Android Marshmallow-y sweetness.

Naturally, I wound up with her OLD phone  (which I promptly blanked and threw the current nightly of CM13 (Marshmallow) on).  I'm using it as a dual-wi-fi tablet until I can grab a Tracfone SIM kit and port my Tracfone feature phone over (likely next week after a call to Tracfone).  The fact that Cyanogen brought Marshmallow over is more than Samsung (let alone VZW) ever did (both left it back at JellyBean).

12 minutes ago, PGHammer said:

Verizon Wireless (yes, I know - carrier-specific) is running a Black Friday special on their Ellipsis (put it this way; my MOM bit, and she already HAS a tablet - specifically, a SAMSUNG Galaxy Tab 4 running KitKat - and she's not firing it; she fired her PHONE, but for different reasons).  Eight inches (diagonal) of Android Marshmallow-y sweetness.

Naturally, I wound up with her OLD phone  (which I promptly blanked and threw the current nightly of CM13 (Marshmallow) on).  I'm using it as a dual-wi-fi tablet until I can grab a Tracfone SIM kit and port my Tracfone feature phone over (likely next week after a call to Tracfone).  The fact that Cyanogen brought Marshmallow over is more than Samsung (let alone VZW) ever did (both left it back at JellyBean).

Their Ellipsis tablets are garbage. 

1 minute ago, adrynalyne said:

Their Ellipsis tablets are garbage. 

Depends on the model; in point of fact, most TABLETS are garbage outside of Nexus or Apple - and you pay literally through the nose for those.  I'm not saying that necessarily that the Ellipsis tablets are necessarily "good" - all I said is that they were on sale.  At least the new ones not reconditioned or refurbished - this one was new in-box at the local VZW corporate store - are running Marshmallow.  And it really has NOT helped that Google has moved Pixel high-end.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PGHammer said:

Depends on the model; in point of fact, most TABLETS are garbage outside of Nexus or Apple - and you pay literally through the nose for those.  I'm not saying that necessarily that the Ellipsis tablets are necessarily "good" - all I said is that they were on sale.  At least the new ones not reconditioned or refurbished - this one was new in-box at the local VZW corporate store - are running Marshmallow.  And it really has NOT helped that Google has moved Pixel high-end.

I'm not even talking about the OS version; they break. We have several of them at home (my wife went hog wild one year) and some of them won't even turn on. 

25 minutes ago, PGHammer said:

Depends on the model; in point of fact, most TABLETS are garbage outside of Nexus or Apple - and you pay literally through the nose for those.

Didn't a few Nexus tablets have eMMC death?

26 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

I'm not even talking about the OS version; they break. We have several of them at home (my wife went hog wild one year) and some of them won't even turn on. 

How old are they?  And all I said is that they were on sale.

The reality is that there AREN'T that many devices running 6.x that aren't either phablets or phones - the only reason I am recommending the Ellipsis is that it's an exception.

That my moldy-oldie Galaxy Nexus actually CAN run Marshmallow - despite both Google AND Samsung (not to mention VZW) left it back at Jellybean is NOT exactly a recommending factor to take the word of either for OS updates.

And yes, some 2012 model Nexus 7s did indeed have emmc death issues.

31 minutes ago, PGHammer said:

How old are they?  And all I said is that they were on sale.

The reality is that there AREN'T that many devices running 6.x that aren't either phablets or phones - the only reason I am recommending the Ellipsis is that it's an exception.

That my moldy-oldie Galaxy Nexus actually CAN run Marshmallow - despite both Google AND Samsung (not to mention VZW) left it back at Jellybean is NOT exactly a recommending factor to take the word of either for OS updates.

And yes, some 2012 model Nexus 7s did indeed have emmc death issues.

Just shy of two years. 

Which pretty much proves our respective points - a lot of TABLETS are garbage.  (I didn't dispute it - or even say that the Ellipsis tablets weren't garbage.)

Heck - look at the Notes; the Note7 is Samsung's first "bum" Note in the series, and the critics of non-7 Notes are crawling out of the woodwork.  Meanwhile moldie-oldie Samsung smartphones (such as the Galaxy Nexus) which never got official Lollipop are running Marshmallow (CM13 official, albeit nightly) with barely a quibble.

• 4 months later...
On 2/9/2016 at 5:59 PM, Jason S. said:

not 10", but my Nexus 9 has android 6.

And it now has N (the community strikes again).  That is, in fact, why I'm looking hard at the Nexus 9 as an upgrade option (both for Mom and for me).

The HTC-built 9 has several advantages:

16GB or 32GB onboard storage (twice that of the Galaxy Tab 4 or Lenovo it would replace) - and that is merely the 16GB version.

It supports larger SD cards than either (256GB vs. 32GB) - though neither of us is THAT much of a data pig.

Better display (both screen and GPU-wise - the 9 is driven by the SAME K1 GPU as the Shield and Pixel C).

Dual-band N wireless support (which the Lenovo lacks)

Former developer platform (one thing about Nexus hardware - even that not in active developer service; it's supported FAR longer than non-developer hardware - that is something my GNex taught me).

Despite the larger screen size, it actually costs LESS than the Nexus 7 in the same condition and the same storage capacity (therefore, a relative bargain).

• Jason S. locked this topic