Pete Rose Bet on Baseball

Absolutely. It is wrong that a player of his status never go to HOF. The only people being robbed are the fans of the future. They need to know his story. That's my opinion.

I agree. It was his stats that were HOF numbers, not the bets he made. If Ray Lewis can get away with crap and become player of the year, then Rose should be able to get in.

Hell Yes he should go in (Y)

Charlie Hustle at the end of his career was beatin it down to first better than guys half his age.

Absolutely not. He is already in the hall for his achievements (World Series and All Star Appearances, All-Time Hit Record). Giamatti did the right thing when he banned him. That set a much better example to the future generations about MLB and its stance on gambling.

yes. he is the all times hit king, that alone should get him in. but the 44-game hitting streak along with all his other accomplishments make it a travesty that he isnt in right now. it would be a crying shame if he didnt get in before he died

His on-the-field accomplishments are already recorded in the Hall of Fame. When you vote a player into the Hall of Fame it is to immortalize the person. I am not going to argue that all 250 inductees are saints, but what kind of example does it set to allow someone who broke the rules to be put on such a pedestal.

Pete Rose was a hell of a ball player, but the circumstances that led to his expulsion from baseball should be enough to keep him from being inducted.

No offense, but whoever voted "betting aside, his stats don't compare to other HOFers" is crazy, in my opinion :p LOL

Anyways, absolutely. Pete deserves to be in. I find it funny that Bug Selig will invite him for a little bit only to make appearances and make the crowds happy (since he's banned from even going inside Baseball Stadiums), yet when Pete would like to do something on his own he's not allowed to. Stop using him as an icon if he's banned. The league banned him, so either unban him or leave him be.

I think he deserves to be in, though. I mean, it's not like he was taking steroids when he was playing the game. What he did was wrong, yes, but was it enough to warrant being kicked out of baseball? I don't think so.

His on-the-field accomplishments are already recorded in the Hall of Fame.  When you vote a player into the Hall of Fame it is to immortalize the person.  I am not going to argue that all 250 inductees are saints, but what kind of example does it set to allow someone who broke the rules to be put on such a pedestal.

Pete Rose was a hell of a ball player, but the circumstances that led to his expulsion from baseball should be enough to keep him from being inducted.

But the funny thing is that back in the day, you got a slap on the wrist for drug use, maybe a fine, and got some manadatory counseling/help. Not so for gambling.

So that makes drug use the lesser of two evils? Screw that. He deserves to be in for his accomplishments.

Nope. Not at all. His stats are incredible, best in baseball and if it was just on baseball...he should without any doubt go in.

And let me say that I think the rule is quite stupid and setup wrong. BUT, Rose knew the rule....didnt care....and still did it. So....nope

Absolutely not. He is already in the hall for his achievements (World Series and All Star Appearances, All-Time Hit Record). Giamatti did the right thing when he banned him. That set a much better example to the future generations about MLB and its stance on gambling.

agreed.

On a more personal level, the guy's a total con job.

Sweet I love baseball. Shame I'm from the UK. All I can do is watch the repeats and miss half of the innings due to it being on late night. Anyways, NULL vote from me due to lack of knowledge :p

Hell no, he shouldn't be able to gain entrance into the HOF. Pete Rose knowingly bet on baseball and thus should suffer the consequences. Shoeless Joe Jackson, (who was illiterate) unknowingly took part in the "Black Sox scandal". (His stats for the 1919 World Series will back this up). He DESERVES to be allowed into the HOF. His .356 batting average is still the 3rd-highest of all-time.

Thank's ShawnB, and from what I've read I believe he shouldn't be allowed. If his batting average is 3rd highest, then he should've thought of what he might loose if he does do, what he did.

He should face the consequences.