Surface 4

• 1 month later...

IMO yes, there should be a refresh.

There's going to be demand for capable hybrid devices that are smaller than the SP4. Microsoft has done an amazing job with shrinking the dimensions of the Surface Pro line, but there is a fundamental difference between a device with a 12.3" display and one with a 10.8" display. The need for something more mobile is going to drive demand for a Surface 3 successor, and there's nothing that Microsoft can do to the SP4 or SP5 to address this.

The chassis is already pretty small and light, and I've always been a fan of the design, so possible changes there aren't so interesting to me. I'd like to see an updated display panel and keyboard, maybe addition of a reversible USB port.

11 minutes ago, offroadaaron said:

Probably, but hardware wise it probably won't change much, maybe just Windows Hello camera....

I agree, as far as i know the Surface 3 is already using the most up to date ATOM processor Intel has available at the moment.

The only thing to really upgrade might be the camera as you noted.

Otherwise i can't think of anything they could do to this device.

Maybe go to the same form factor as the Surface Pro, 3:2 but still in the 10" size

I'm just guessing at this point :)

Just now, Stoffel said:

Maybe go to the same form factor as the Surface Pro, 3:2 but still in the 10" size

That would be a nice upgrade too, but I don't know that they'll do that as it's kinda of a selling point for the Pro version. I also think they Hello camera is a selling point as well but I don't think people really want to use this in a corporate environment which the Pro is "meant" to be for (I could be wrong).

Does anybody here actually have a Surface 3?

I want something more mobile than my Lenovo Yoga.

I don't do anything special these days, just some word, excel, light browsing (max 6-8 tabs open at one time) and some simple Windows Store games.

Would a Surface 3 with 4GB RAM be fine, or am i still going to feel like i'm using a lesser device compared to my older Lenovo Yoga?

Any advice would be welcome.

I have the Surface Pro 3, pen & keyboard, I got it second hand for less that the price of the Surface 3. The guy at work got the Surface 3 as his main laptop for home. Both of us still find it a love hate relationship for the device. It'll probably be find as far as specs go but it's so so when it comes to form factor/ easy of use. It's great if you travel and want a tablet and a laptop though.

10 minutes ago, Stoffel said:

Does anybody here actually have a Surface 3?

I want something more mobile than my Lenovo Yoga.

I don't do anything special these days, just some word, excel, light browsing (max 6-8 tabs open at one time) and some simple Windows Store games.

Would a Surface 3 with 4GB RAM be fine, or am i still going to feel like i'm using a lesser device compared to my older Lenovo Yoga?

Any advice would be welcome.

I use to have the Surface 3. I hated and returned it.

Cracking audio, hard drive acting weird and slow, and the whole machine overall was very slow. As a tablet it sucked. Though as a laptop it was ok.

10 minutes ago, max22 said:

Cracking audio

This is definitely an issue even on the Pro's.

10 minutes ago, max22 said:

hard drive acting weird and slow, and the whole machine overall was very slow.

I can't comment myself on this but I haven't heard of it being that slow. One thing I have heard is that when on low battery the keyboard sometimes stops working.

Also USB ports for the Surface 3 don't put out enough power to charge devices or power external devices like hard drives (from what I've heard).