VMWare Player versus Virtualbox

I recommend VMware's product line if you're on Windows, but Windows Hyper-V is pretty solid too (and no extra costs and should be looked at). But if you run Linux then KVM is the only proper choice.

On 2/28/2016 at 10:39 PM, sinetheo said:

They didn't gut. The fact is it can't compete with a type 1 hypervisor and ESX has a free version for non commercial use which is a type 1 hypervisor. So why develop 2 products that do the same thing? 3 if you count vmware player.

Hyper-V is *also* a Type 1 hypervisor, and was originally part of Windows Server 2003R2.  (The standalone equivalent -  which is the Microsoft version of ESXi - the bare-metal type 1 hypervisor - is Hyper-V Server; like ESXi, it's free.)

Workstation Player used to be plain ordinary vmWare Player, and is still a subset of the fully-featured (and paid) vmWare Workstation (now Workstation Pro).

Hyper-V Server is all-command-line (as is ESXi) and relies on scripts (in Hyper-V's case, PowerShell scripts).  Windows 8/Server 2003R2 and their successors include GUI management/admin tools.  Windows Server 2012R2 and earlier only require VT-x support to leverage; Windows 8 and later, and Server 2016 all require Extended Processor Table support to leverage Hyper-V.

• 8 months later...

Just to confirm.

I am running windows 10 home, 64 bit. This is for personal use.

I have a legacy program that requires XP. After reading this thread and others, it seems the best answer would be the VMware Workstation Player. (mainly because it is a bit more user friendly, and really treats XP a bit better). 

Does that sound right?

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/28/2016 at 0:24 PM, Tom Brown said:

Just to confirm.

I am running windows 10 home, 64 bit. This is for personal use.

I have a legacy program that requires XP. After reading this thread and others, it seems the best answer would be the VMware Workstation Player. (mainly because it is a bit more user friendly, and really treats XP a bit better). 

Does that sound right?

Not exactly - it's just that vmWare is the virtualization solution that actually has an XP history; the other two came out during the transition from XP to Vista.  Most users of virtualization software on Windows started with vmWare (that does include me), and folks are loath to move.  My issue with vmWare is that it doesn't exactly behave like a real PC - too many unique-to-vmWare quirks, especially in terms of guest behavior.  Atop that, vmWare has an issue with setting up wireless VMs (virtual notebooks) that Oracle VirtualBox and Hyper-V don't have.