Correct usage of this roundabout (UK)

Hi,

Just a quick question about this roundabout, this is a UK roundabout but I assume the same rules apply to all roundabouts. Am I correct in saying that the 2 red lines are the correct lanes to use, yellow is not? Problem here is a lot of drivers cut up people on the left red line by driving the yellow line. People merge onto this roundabout from the right lane at the bottom of the image (assuming we're driving on the left) then join the second exit in the left lane.

2ih73ap.jpg

The yellow line pretty well follows the correct red line till halfway round, then takes what I might call "the lazy way" out of the junction.  The reason why people might do this is basically because you don't have to move the steering wheel so far around, then back (hence my calling it "the lazy way"), but also because there is less sideways force on the car, and less suspension sway. If you're in a regular family saloon, your passengers would find the yellow line a little more comfortable, although not, of course, if there's other traffic on the road and you have to brake hard to avoid another car that's already in the left-hand lane and that you failed to see in your mirror!!

5 minutes ago, Gary7 said:

These things should be abolished. They are a menace. They have them around here and in Detroit where to make a left turn you have to go right,

No, Gary - they are much more efficient at controlling traffic at major intersections than the traffic lights that seem to be the only option available to North American traffic planners.  At any random junction of two major urban or inter-urban roads, it's an evens chance that you will have to wait at a red light. Often there's no traffic coming in the cross direction, so need to stop; the roundabout keeps traffic moving, thus improving fuel consumption and decreasing pollution.  All you need to do is to learn how to use them!

• Like 4

Just now, fof9l said:

No, Gary - they are much more efficient at controlling traffic at major intersections than the traffic lights that seem to be the only option available to North American traffic planners.  At any random junction of two major urban or inter-urban roads, it's an evens chance that you will have to wait at a red light. Often there's no traffic coming in the cross direction, so need to stop; the roundabout keeps traffic moving, thus improving fuel consumption and decreasing pollution.  All you need to do is to learn how to use them!

They are a traffic hazard when the roundabout is only about 100 feet in Diameter. There are collisions there every day.

4 minutes ago, Gary7 said:

They are a traffic hazard when the roundabout is only about 100 feet in Diameter. There are collisions there every day.

I guess it depends on the exact way the thing is set up, and the speed of the traffic involved.  But 100 feet is pretty sizeable - whereabouts is this one you're complaining about?  Is there a Google Street View of it?

9 minutes ago, Gary7 said:

Really doubtful that collisions happen every day in your local roundabout.  Statistics show that they greatly reduce accidents.  Sure there is a learning curve at first, but a monkey could figure it out since it's a much less complicated system than an intersection.

http://www.nextstl.com/2013/10/mythbusters-tackles-four-way-stop-v-roundabout-traffic-throughput/

If you think about it, you'll never get hit on the drivers side going around a roundabout.  So your chances of getting killed are greatly reduced.

When there are 2 lanes in and 2 lanes out I always stay in my lane (the red lines).

Most people do this but you do get some muppet drivers.

EDit: this is in the UK. Can't vouch for driving habits in over countries.

Just now, Astra.Xtreme said:

Really doubtful that collisions happen every day in your local roundabout.  Statistics show that they greatly reduce accidents.

http://www.nextstl.com/2013/10/mythbusters-tackles-four-way-stop-v-roundabout-traffic-throughput/

If you think about it, you'll never get hit on the drivers side going around a roundabout.  So your chances of getting killed at greatly reduced.

Well the next time you are in Columbiana , Ohio give it a look.

2 minutes ago, Biohead said:

The two red lines are the correct way round... but you'll find that a lot of people will take the yellow line route.

True - it's closest to a straight line.  On some roads there are a lot of roundabouts that are set up so that you have to slow down for them - the A316 out of London to the start of the M3 is one of my bugbears. I hate some of those roundabouts!

6 minutes ago, fof9l said:

I guess it depends on the exact way the thing is set up, and the speed of the traffic involved.  But 100 feet is pretty sizeable - whereabouts is this one you're complaining about?  Is there a Google Street View of it?

Yes, this is positioned from where the red lines begin at the bottom.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.470894,-2.8508181,3a,75y,149.26h,88t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sBQjRV68T58GcYxbYl5rccw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

5 minutes ago, Biohead said:

The two red lines are the correct way round... but you'll find that a lot of people will take the yellow line route.

That's what I thought as well, I supposed if there's no traffic around then the yellow route isn't unacceptable but that roundabout is busy in rush hour and people tend to cut you up even though they can see you indicating.

12 minutes ago, Gary7 said:

That's where learning to use them comes into play. :p

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Top Qat said:

When there are 2 lanes in and 2 lanes out I always stay in my lane (the red lines).

Most people do this but you do get some muppet drivers.

EDit: this is in the UK. Can't vouch for driving habits in over countries.

There are muppet drivers everywhere, Top Qat, not just in the UK!

6 minutes ago, Astra.Xtreme said:
12 minutes ago, Gary7 said:
7 minutes ago, Gary7 said:

Yea I probably exaggerated. Not every day but often, especially in heavy snow.

Well the next time you are in Columbiana , Ohio give it a look.

Do you mean the one in Columbiana at the centre of town, the intersection of Main and Park Streets?

2 minutes ago, Gary7 said:

I never said Boardman, I was referring to Columbiana. I live in Boardman, just had to travel through Columbiana :)

Did you read the article?  75% of it is about Columbiana.

2 minutes ago, Gary7 said:

I never said Boardman, I was referring to Columbiana. I live in Boardman, just had to travel through Columbiana :)

Looks like the one in Boardman has been there for over a year.  Wonder about the impact on accident figures.

1 minute ago, fof9l said:

Looks like the one in Boardman has been there for over a year.  Wonder about the impact on accident figures.

That is on the far east side of Boardman in an area with low traffic and all residential.