Correct usage of this roundabout (UK)

I haven't read the comments yet, so if it's already been answered, I apologise...

First red line and yellow line can be used as described in the image, but only provided the first lane is not occupied with traffic, a UK Highway Code rule of thumb is to occupy the leftmost lane at all times, (obviously when it is safe to, ie not occupied) and this is ignored about the same amount of time sadly.

Edited by Aheer.R.S.
  • Like 2

In the UK there is no arrangement that is correct in all situation in this instance. It depends on other road users.

As Aheer.R.S points out you should generally use the outer lane. Therefore:

- If no-one else is on the road then the outer red line is correct.

- If two cars arrive side by side at the start of the roundabout and set off at the same time, if both are going straight on then the two red lines are correct.

- If two cars arrive side by side at the start of the roundabout and set off at the same time, if the outer driver turns left then the outer red and yellow lines are correct for the two cars.

- If 3 cars or more arrive at the same time (say 2 in the outer lane and 1 in the inner lane) and the front two set off together, then if the first car in the outer lane turns left, the first car in the inner lane should arguably use the yellow line and the second car in the outer lane should use the outer red line. They will not clash as the second out car is further behind, assuming the 2nd outer car does not speed up and "under cut" the car which they should not do as this would be overtaking on the inside. The only exception to this is if the traffic is slow moving / "grid-locked" in which case you can pass on the inside.

Of course the problem is when someone undercuts and then an argument breaks out!

• Like 1

On 2/29/2016 at 1:13 PM, Astra.Xtreme said:

Really doubtful that collisions happen every day in your local roundabout.  Statistics show that they greatly reduce accidents.  Sure there is a learning curve at first, but a monkey could figure it out since it's a much less complicated system than an intersection.

http://www.nextstl.com/2013/10/mythbusters-tackles-four-way-stop-v-roundabout-traffic-throughput/

If you think about it, you'll never get hit on the drivers side going around a roundabout.  So your chances of getting killed are greatly reduced.

Yea, I've always thought they were pretty good at reducing accidents.  Though I do not have any data on the matter ... I'd suspect roundabout reduce greatly fatal (or severe) accidents since people aren't zipping through (beating red lights) intersections t-boning others...traffic is going the same direction (so no head on collisions when people are turning to another street)....plus accidents that do occur are generally at a lower speed.

Not really sure why they aren't used more often in the states.