Can you admin Windows Server 2008 remotely?

I have a small business and we're running a domain with WS 2008 and a few workstations. We're low on some equipment and I had to borrow the display, keyboard, and mouse from my server. Is it possible to fully control the server from any workstation rather than having to have a display and keyboard and mouse on the server? Like how I can fully control my Synology NAS at home?

I feel like I'm missing something, but Remote Desktop should allow you to connect to it and do whatever it is the server does without any local input.

Also in terms of it being a DC, there are tools like RSAT that you can install/enable on a desktop PC that will allow you do things like Group Policy, new users or dns changes etc. I only really use the basic ADUC and DNS tools but I'm pretty sure it contains everything you need to manage the DC remotely.

I use Remote Desktop when off site for my Server 2008 server, it works just fine, and from another machine inside the network if I need to :)

Providing you're on-site, either use remote desktop in, or install the RSAT tools on your workstation.

I am always managing user/computer accounts, group policy and DNS from my workstation using the RSAT tools instead of remoting to the server or being on the server itself.

3 minutes ago, Dot Matrix said:

If configured to do so yes. Most server management is remote. 

This is what I thought. When I bought the server from Dell, the salesman was asking me if I needed a display, etc. I was like "how can I run a Windows server without a display to see anything?". I suppose he could have thought I already had one? If I can run the server permanently without ever needing to do anything directly on it, that would be great. if it ever had to reboot for some reason and I have to go pull the display and all that and carry it all over and plug it in just so I can log in, that would be a pain. I had wondered if there was some kind of browser interface like Synology DSM.

2 minutes ago, patseguin said:

This is what I thought. When I bought the server from Dell, the salesman was asking me if I needed a display, etc. I was like "how can I run a Windows server without a display to see anything?". I suppose he could have thought I already had one? If I can run the server permanently without ever needing to do anything directly on it, that would be great.

The scenario you describe without keyboard mouse or monitor is VERY popular. It's what they call "headless", and a server saves space using it this way. It's how server racks in datacentres are administered. We have a terminal that's just a keyboard, monitor and trackpad in one unit, I like to call it the Watchman!

18 minutes ago, patseguin said:

This is what I thought. When I bought the server from Dell, the salesman was asking me if I needed a display, etc. I was like "how can I run a Windows server without a display to see anything?". I suppose he could have thought I already had one? If I can run the server permanently without ever needing to do anything directly on it, that would be great. if it ever had to reboot for some reason and I have to go pull the display and all that and carry it all over and plug it in just so I can log in, that would be a pain. I had wondered if there was some kind of browser interface like Synology DSM.

Microsoft provides a wide range of server admin tools. No external display or keyboard is required for server management. Just depends on the configuration of the server. 

Edited by Dot Matrix

8 minutes ago, Dot Matrix said:

Microsoft provides a wide range of server admin tools. No external display or keyboard is required for server management. 

So if for instance, I lose power and the server has to reboot. I don't have to connect a  display and keyboard to log in? I just need those "RSAT" tools mentioned?

Just now, patseguin said:

So if for instance, I lose power and the server has to reboot. I don't have to connect a  display and keyboard to log in? I just need those "RSAT" tools mentioned?

Nope. All that can be done remotely. Yes, the RSAT tools should help you out there. 

We have RDP access to our Windows servers through our firewalls. Ours run the gamut from Server 2008 to 2012 R2.

Does your environment have a firewall or are you just looking for local network RDP access?

3 minutes ago, patseguin said:

As long as you have RDP configured correctly and the server reboots correctly, then you'll be able to login remotely again. We reboot servers remotely all the time.

3 minutes ago, patseguin said:

As long as you either physically power on the server after power loss or it does itself once power is restored...Windows Server will load and automatically go to the login screen (even if you have no keyboard/mouse/monitor connected). At this point, you can connect remotely and use as normal.

7 minutes ago, Jason S. said:

As long as you have RDP configured correctly and the server reboots correctly, then you'll be able to login remotely again. We reboot servers remotely all the time.

OK just so I'm not confused. RDP is needed in order to use RSAT? Not sure what RDP is but I can look it up.

Or there are other tools like Teamviewer which is free for home use, but would need a business license in your case.  It's advantage is I can administer my home servers from the client on my phone.

4 minutes ago, patseguin said:

OK just so I'm not confused. RDP is needed in order to use RSAT? Not sure what RDP is but I can look it up.

RDP = Remote Desktop Protocol.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remote_Desktop_Protocol

In Server 2008, go to:

Start, right click Computer, Properties

Click Remote Settings

Choose "Allow connections (more secure)"

Click OK

From your <other> server, click Start, Run, type 'mstsc' and the RDP window appears. Type the name, or IP address, of the remote server, and connect.

(Alternatively, click Start, type 'remote' and click the RDP icon that appears.)

4 minutes ago, patseguin said:

No, RDP is not required for the use of RSAT.

RDP is Remote Desktop Protocol (the ability to remotely connect to a server/workstation and use it like you were sat in front of it). It comes built into Windows home and server operating systems anyway.

5 minutes ago, Jason S. said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remote_Desktop_Protocol

In Server 2008, go to:

Start, right click Computer, Properties

Click Remote Settings

Choose "Allow connections (more secure)"

Click OK

From your <other> server, click Start, Run, type 'mstsc' and the RDP window appears. Type the name, or IP address, of the remote server, and connect.

(Alternatively, click Start, type 'remote' and click the RDP icon that appears.)

OK so I will need a display keyboard and mouse to do that setup once and then I should really never need any of that again right? I guess I am wondering why I would need to do all of that on the server when it's stated that it's very popular for servers to be sold without any peripherals and be 100% remotely controlled.

OK so I will need a display keyboard and mouse to do that setup once and then I should really never need any of that again right? I guess I am wondering why I would need to do all of that on the server when it's stated that it's very popular for servers to be sold without any peripherals and be 100% remotely controlled.

b/c typically servers are sold to be mounted in racks that already have KVMs and KMMs installed. The admin would just need to install the server, plug in the usb dongle for the KVM and away they go.

Youre still going to need the display, keyboard and mouse when you need physical access to the server. If you need to manually power it up or down, perform maintenance, access the BIOS etc.

1 minute ago, patseguin said:

I think RDP is already enabled on Server 2008.

You can check by seeing if you can remote to the server from your workstation. From the run command, type 'mstsc' and press enter. Enter the name or IP address of the server in the box and press enter. Enter your server administrator credentials and you should be able to connect.

2 minutes ago, Jason S. said:

b/c typically servers are sold to be mounted in racks that already have KVMs and KMMs installed. The admin would just need to install the server, plug in the usb dongle for the KVM and away they go.

Youre still going to need the display, keyboard and mouse when you need physical access to the server. If you need to manually power it up or down, perform maintenance, access the BIOS etc.

OK makes sense. So I  guess there really has to be a display and keyboard on it. Aside from remote administration, if I ever have to reboot it I guess I need actually be on the server to log in?

OK makes sense. So I  guess there really has to be a display and keyboard on it. Aside from remote administration, if I ever have to reboot it I guess I need actually be on the server to log in?

No, rebooting and logging on can be done remotely.

11 minutes ago, Daedroth said:

I think RDP is already enabled on Server 2008.

You can check by seeing if you can remote to the server from your workstation. From the run command, type 'mstsc' and press enter. Enter the name or IP address of the server in the box and press enter. Enter your server administrator credentials and you should be able to connect.

I tried this and I get an error: Remote Desktop can't connect to the remote computer for one of three reasons:". So, I guess the post that Windows 2008 servers come preconfigured for RDP is incorrect?

I tried this and I get an error: Remote Desktop can't connect to the remote computer for one of three reasons:". So, I guess the post that Windows 2008 servers come preconfigured for RDP is incorrect?

I guess so, so you may need to temporarily connect a keyboard/mouse/monitor to the server to check.