Can you admin Windows Server 2008 remotely?

1 minute ago, Daedroth said:

I guess so, so you may need to temporarily connect a keyboard/mouse/monitor to the server to check.

Yeah I guess I will have to. My Synology NAS at home is great because it sits in my basement and I've never had to to touch it since I bought it 5 years ago. All config and everything is done in DSM in a web browser. I'd hoped that my 2008 Server might have that capability but it sounds like I probably need a spare display keyboard and mouse.

5 minutes ago, patseguin said:

Yeah I guess I will have to. My Synology NAS at home is great because it sits in my basement and I've never had to to touch it since I bought it 5 years ago. All config and everything is done in DSM in a web browser. I'd hoped that my 2008 Server might have that capability but it sounds like I probably need a spare display keyboard and mouse.

YOu'll have to take a look at the configuration, it may need configured for remote management. You should be able to do a search on Microsoft's website for more help on having it properly configured, and for more help on the RSAT tools. 

I am not sure exactly where you left off.  RDP is a built in windows remote control program to remote into systems that have the remote desktop protocol enabled.  Sometimes after enabling remote desktop you do have to allow the connection through the software firewall on the server, outbound communication is enabled by default so you will not need to do anything on the pc. 

If you need instructions on how to enable it, follow the directions outlined here on the windows server.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc736451%28v=ws.10%29.aspx

You will be able to do anything with the server once windows is up.  You will not be able to get into the bios or see anything on the boot up screen prior to windows coming up with rdp.  You can get a ip kvm if you need that, or if you have a dell or hp you can setup the drac and ilo ports to be able to see the boot up and system process. 

The rsat install will allow you to put the ad management tools on your desktop so you don't need to connect to the server to access those tools. 

22 hours ago, sc302 said:

I am not sure exactly where you left off.  RDP is a built in windows remote control program to remote into systems that have the remote desktop protocol enabled.  Sometimes after enabling remote desktop you do have to allow the connection through the software firewall on the server, outbound communication is enabled by default so you will not need to do anything on the pc. 

If you need instructions on how to enable it, follow the directions outlined here on the windows server.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc736451%28v=ws.10%29.aspx

You will be able to do anything with the server once windows is up.  You will not be able to get into the bios or see anything on the boot up screen prior to windows coming up with rdp.  You can get a ip kvm if you need that, or if you have a dell or hp you can setup the drac and ilo ports to be able to see the boot up and system process. 

The rsat install will allow you to put the ad management tools on your desktop so you don't need to connect to the server to access those tools. 

Thanks that clears things up a bit. Can I fully manage the server with RSAT or will I still need RDP at some point? Also, is the server preconfigured to allow RSAT? I downloaded RSAT for Win 10 and just haven't tried it yet.

OK I have the server manager up and running and I added my 2008 server. I have a red box and "Online - Verify WinRM 3.0 service is installed, running, etc.". Is that something I need to find and download and install on my server?

There is also a red flag at the top that has a long message about "Configuration refresh failed with the following error: The metadata failed to be retrieved from the server...". Is this related to the WinRM 3.0 service needing to be run?

What are you doing with windows remote management? 

does this sound like something you would be doing?

WinRM provides a command line interface that can be used to perform common management tasks, and also provides a scripting API so you can write your own Windows Scripting Host based scripts. In the background, WinRM relies on management data provided by WMI; however it makes the exchange of data much easier by utilizing the HTTP protocol.

Apart from WMI, WinRM utilizes the Intelligent Platform Management Interface (IPMI) driver for hardware management. The IPMI provider and driver enable you to control and diagnose remote server hardware through BMCs [Baseboard Management Controllers] even when the OS is not running or deployed. Effectively BMC is a chip connected to the processor board of a server; it has its own network adapter and hence can monitor the server in situations even when the server is malfunctioning.

If you ask me, I don't think you would be using this at all being that you have no clue about rsat or the remote desktop protocol (rdp).

rsat : https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=45520

remote desktop (rdp) https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc794832%28v=ws.10%29.aspx

and i gave you the firewall rules. 

how to use rsat?  go to start all programs and administrative tools

how to use rdp?  on a client computer (not the host server) open up remote desktop connection (start, search, remote desktop connection).

rsat will allow you to manage anything in Active Directory

remote desktop will allow you to manage anything that is specific on the server (like file shares and printer shares)

winrm will give you a cli that would allow you to perform management tasks, not gui. 

8 minutes ago, sc302 said:

What are you doing with windows remote management? 

does this sound like something you would be doing?

If you ask me, I don't think you would be using this at all being that you have no clue about rsat or the remote desktop protocol (rdp).

rsat : https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=45520

remote desktop (rdp) https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc794832%28v=ws.10%29.aspx

and i gave you the firewall rules. 

rsat will allow you to manage anything in Active Directory

remote desktop will allow you to manage anything that is specific on the server (like file shares and printer shares)

winrm will give you a cli that would allow you to perform management tasks, not gui.  While great, I figure you are the more point and click type of administrator (don't really know what you are doing), not a figure it out cli type of administrator (advanced knowledge of how things work). 

That's probably a fair assessment. I'm definitely a computer geek and have been building PC's and installing OS's for 25 years. I really don't know very well what I am doing with Windows Server though. My goal is to be able to control it remotely since I don't have a display and input devices to keep with it. In fact, I don't really ever even need to do anything ever on it hardly. I just want to be able too do anything I need to do like log back in after powering on, change group policy, and users, etc.

32 minutes ago, patseguin said:

That's probably a fair assessment. I'm definitely a computer geek and have been building PC's and installing OS's for 25 years. I really don't know very well what I am doing with Windows Server though. My goal is to be able to control it remotely since I don't have a display and input devices to keep with it. In fact, I don't really ever even need to do anything ever on it hardly. I just want to be able too do anything I need to do like log back in after powering on, change group policy, and users, etc.

group policy and users are done with rsat, you don't need to be logged into server for that.  just about as soon as you get a ping response you will be able to manage the server rsat, you can add dhcp scopes, modify scopes and change/add/delete dns entries as well.  All of those features are in rsat, even ad powershell (which sort of makes winrm pretty pointless, it has other features but nothing that I have ever used or needed to use...I have not installed it since 2008 tbh). 

you can connect to services remotely, you can connect to event viewer remotely, without rdp or rsat, or connecting to the console. 

The only thing that you will not be able to do is manage shares if it is a file server and printers if it is a print server.

4 hours ago, sc302 said:

group policy and users are done with rsat, you don't need to be logged into server for that.  just about as soon as you get a ping response you will be able to manage the server rsat, you can add dhcp scopes, modify scopes and change/add/delete dns entries as well.  All of those features are in rsat, even ad powershell (which sort of makes winrm pretty pointless, it has other features but nothing that I have ever used or needed to use...I have not installed it since 2008 tbh). 

you can connect to services remotely, you can connect to event viewer remotely, without rdp or rsat, or connecting to the console. 

The only thing that you will not be able to do is manage shares if it is a file server and printers if it is a print server.

So does it sound like I just need to install that WinRM 3.0 service that I got the message about?

8 minutes ago, sc302 said:

No Rsat only

I did install Rsat only and I am getting that error about connecting.

and what is the error?  is your pc joined to the domain you are trying to manage?

Again, I am running only rsat and not having any issues managing my ad from my computer.  are you a domain admin?  you may have to run as a domain admin account.

On 3/2/2016 at 9:58 AM, patseguin said:

OK makes sense. So I  guess there really has to be a display and keyboard on it. Aside from remote administration, if I ever have to reboot it I guess I need actually be on the server to log in?

Not if you get your Dell with iDrac Enterprise installed, you said it was a Dell right? Then you can access the console over your network outside of the OS.

here are a few regarding connection errors (you were very specific so I can't really tell which one will fix it)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/954370

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/976839

http://sigkillit.com/2014/04/22/run-active-directory-management-tools-as-another-user/

There are quite a few different directions I can take with the information given. 

Take this for example

I need _____ for _____

Can you tell me what the proper words go in the blanks?  All you know is that I need something for something there are many things that can fit that sentence, and there are many things that can be the cause and resolution to having a connection error with rsat...just about the same amount of resolutions to the something for something example above...without more information I can only try to give you the best answers.