Microsoft tracking you?

i heard that theres this thing in windows xp which is used by microsoft to track you... is it true??

what about people who use the corporate version where you dont have to activate? will they get tracked down...

If they did ALOT of folks would be praying right now.:ditsy:

But on a more serious note...I think it'll have to be something that's already implemented in the O/S or which can be implemented into the O/S. Anyone for a service pack?:evil:

I've heard that Service Pack 1 for XP will sort out the real from the pirated versions. We shall see...

I'll be glad to get rid of windows once and for all when I get my new iMac, sweet!

Originally posted by syphern

yeah but WHAT IF THEY CAN!!!!

THATS THE WHOLE POINT.... better be safe than sorry

True true...but why lose any sleep over it? If they can and I repeat, if they can they're gonna have to deal with alot of folks. Remember the saying..."What man maketh man can destroy" and my all time favorite "What Bill makes we can hack".:ditsy: :ditsy: :paranoid:

God not this f*cking sh*t again.

I had all this months back...no they aint tracing you and no they never will

Its illegal and the only time they "traced" was when they send out betas of XP with unique numbers in the ISO header so they could see who was leaking their own products which is legal cause its not an invasion or privacy etc etc etc

nah i am not worried about being busted cos i am not even running xp.... but as i recall there was a program which disabled messages going to microsoft i saw it somewhere on the net and i was just wondering what would happen if it detected ya... thats all

Originally posted by hurting101

I think only legal XPs will be able to get SP1... but by then someone will make a crack for it so no worries.

Yeah I heard something like that, although I heard that if you have an illegal copy of XP and try to apply sp1 then it'll mess up your installation. After all MS have the right to terminate your aggreement with them at any time, legal copy or not...

And how exactly does sp1 know if the code u've used is legal or not?

//edit : removed. bit too insulting. cba to start a fight again :)

MS are NOT tracking windows, thats illegal.

They will NOT try to disable illegal versions, the risks of it also disabling corporate licensed versions are TOO HIGH.

That would be the most major almighty f*ck up ever!

Too many paranoind people using pc's these days (zone alarm anyone ? hah.)

Jon

:right:

Originally posted by C@N'T }{1T $}{1

Well... it would be considered a trojan, and therefore illegal. Or even spyware which would violate the privacy agreement between us and M$.

:)

Well in the eula, it says that MS have the right to terminate the agreement at any time and everyone agreed to that. A lot of people are saying that SP1 is the time to end those agreements.

Originally posted by Jon

Too many paranoind people using pc's these days (zone alarm anyone ? hah.)

I guess Zone Alarm can't help you there. Since you will want to surf you will have to let IE through Zone Alarm (assuming you don't want to use that ratscape crap). So what better way is there for MS, than putting their Rat in IE. I don't want to they that MS is tracking you, but that ZoneAlarm wouldn't prevent it.

Greetings

MiDiAN

sorry u totally missed my point.

zone alarm wouldnt stop it if MS wanted to track u, not a chance in hell.

My point was general, people who use zonealarm for whatever reason, are 90% of the time too paranoid.

It was a poke at zonealarm, which i hate. Nothing relevent to this thread :)

Jon

Originally posted by Jon

sorry u totally missed my point.

zone alarm wouldnt stop it if MS wanted to track u, not a chance in hell.

My point was general, people who use zonealarm for whatever reason, are 90% of the time too paranoid.

It was a poke at zonealarm, which i hate. Nothing relevent to this thread :)

Jon

Oh. Now I get it. You're right then of course. Let's hate it together then.

Greetings

MiDiAN

I'm just passing on info I've been told. To be honest I wouldn't give a rats ass if MS tried to track people, personally I dont think they would but I'm not in the majority who think that.

Good point about zonealarm though :D