Microsoft tracking you?

To anyone who doesn't think MS will screw pirated copies of WinXP over with Service Pack 1 (SP1) think again. They did it with Office 2000 SP1. They scanned the crack sites (I presume) and checked for cacked CD-keys and when someone with a cracked CD Key (like me) tried to install SP1 it would work, however, no office programs would stay open for more than 10 seconds. You should have seen the questions and flames from pirates in the MS Office 2000 forum. Anyways a new cd-key came out that was immune, but regardless, it goes to show that they can and will do it.

Eh, now I am scared. I TOO got a $15 rebate for Publisher 2002 in thanks for registering Office 2002 (which has Publisher 2002), odd!

I've done it! I've figured it out! M$ is going to track us via crappy rebates for products we steal! Dear god no! My $15 will cost me 20 years in the pen w/ Bubba....

ahem..

As to Mr. WindowsUpdate-Scared... It specifically states "No information is being sent.." .. read the file extensions aswell - .asp (Active Server Page)... C|net's Catchup is the same basic program (and actually tends to do a better job).

Besides, ::coughs;: The only thing we have to fear is.... fear itself.. and no more jelly donuts at Krispy Kream/Dunkin Donuts.

:D

Originally posted by Knoxca

To anyone who doesn't think MS will screw pirated copies of WinXP over with Service Pack 1 (SP1) think again. They did it with Office 2000 SP1. They scanned the crack sites (I presume) and checked for cacked CD-keys and when someone with a cracked CD Key (like me) tried to install SP1 it would work, however, no office programs would stay open for more than 10 seconds. You should have seen the questions and flames from pirates in the MS Office 2000 forum. Anyways a new cd-key came out that was immune, but regardless, it goes to show that they can and will do it.

Sorry to bust your bubble again, your sooooo mis-informed. MS had a problem with Office 2000 and XP SP1 with early CD-Keys. They posted a way around this in the MS KB. There is a seperate SP1 download for it. I have theses and had no problems. Hang around pirate forums you will get parrot sh*t.

man, it's very possible that microsoft is tracking us....

as for the other guys here: office xp can be updated to sp1, even a pirated copy...it's just a simple trick...but i don't think microsoft aimed to "crap" illegal office xp installs with that pack...it was another proof that microsoft is not competent at all....:D

and by the way...if they are gonna f*** illegal installation of win xp with the sp1, what then? short time after you'll find cracks..fixes...and it WILL work...:)

and if not...then you should all buy win xp...(man, i told it...don't kill me;) )

and just to join this paranoids here on this thread: what if microsoft had some spies(spys??? :ermm: ...my bad english:( ) who read the postings here at neowin....beware...they read your postings, and they are gonna crack down your illegal xp....woahhaaaaaaaaaaa:)

ROFLMAO. Theres only a few files M$ could possibly **** with to screw our XP's with SP1. The solution is replace those files with the origonals and have fun :)

2 weeks ago, i was doin my usual look around neowin, and guess what comes up????????

Norton Personal Firewall's Alert Tracker brang up " Attack attempted from pirate.microsoft.com / Attemted to send SubSeven Trojan, IP Blocked for 40mins "

SPANK YOU NORTON, U SAVED MY ASS

AdamXP....

I doubt very much that

a) Microsoft would single you out

b) They would use a trojan virus to connect to you

Its most likely someone faking their hostname and/or IP address to make it look like Microsoft is doing some illegal act.

I'm sure they would just connect to your guest account if they wanted to look around! :p :p :p

(That was a joke in case anyone doesnt know what sarcasm is):cross:

it's called bouncing off another server.

its just as illegal for MS to scan your PC without a warrant as it is to pirate their software...

people - PLEASE!!!! get some common sense, or go reread the EULA. or.. *gasp*BUY THE SOFTWARE. i know microsoft sucks and everything... but if they're that bad, why not go to linux or mac?

Originally posted by AdamXP  

2 weeks ago, i was doin my usual look around neowin, and guess what comes up????????

Norton Personal Firewall's Alert Tracker brang up " Attack attempted from pirate.microsoft.com / Attemted to send SubSeven Trojan, IP Blocked for 40mins "  

Reread the EULA?

Shouldn't that be

"Read the EULA, for the first time"!

lol

a Mac? :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead:

I left the Motorola based motherboard system when I left the Amiga!:evil:

As with most things...

if I have the money to spare...

I'll buy the software...

- Sorted -

:cheeky:

hmmmm pirate.microsoft.com doesn't exist in any DNS records so I don't know where you're pulling that from.

> server dns1.cp.msft.net

Default Server: dns1.cp.msft.net

Address: 207.46.138.20

> pirate.microsoft.com

Server: dns1.cp.msft.net

Address: 207.46.138.20

*** dns1.cp.msft.net can't find pirate.microsoft.com: Non-existent domain

Howabout if you're worried about it, don't be a common theif and buy it.

Then you have nothing to worry about. If MS wants to know when I log into my computer, let them. I'm not a 14 year old shoplifter so I don't really care.

Maybe we should just say "Yes, you are" to anyone else asking if they are being traced, tracked, man hunted... etc

Saves trouble, and we'll probably never hear from them again :D

Originally posted by wd40  

hmmmm pirate.microsoft.com doesn't exist in any DNS records so I don't know where you're pulling that from.

> server dns1.cp.msft.net

Default Server:  dns1.cp.msft.net

Address:  207.46.138.20

> pirate.microsoft.com

Server:  dns1.cp.msft.net

Address:  207.46.138.20

*** dns1.cp.msft.net can't find pirate.microsoft.com: Non-existent domain

Originally posted by Darkness2k  

Maybe we should just say "Yes, you are" to anyone else asking if they are being traced, tracked, man hunted... etc

Saves trouble, and we'll probably never hear from them again :D

And would definately lower the cost of future versions of Windows.

You are right it was a problem. The problem was implementing the anti-pirate cdkey system. I tried the "new" sp1 and guess what - it STILL didn't work with certain cd keys that were all over the net.

Originally posted by AdamXP  

lol, yeah I've heard that urban myth before. Can you post your Norton log file here so we can see your proof. I suppose even that can be doctored.

Originally posted by Knoxca  

You are right it was a problem. The problem was implementing the anti-pirate cdkey system.  I tried the "new" sp1 and guess what - it STILL didn't work with certain cd keys that were all over the net.

Thats true, most of the CD-Keys floating around the web are generated by hackers and pirates, all theses keys will be blacklisted and not work with updates. just the same with other software that uses keys. You need an original key from M$. You can also find these on the web. Once you have this your ok. If you downloaded XP from a hacker site which included a cd-key then your asking fro trouble. M$ can't trace/track you but they can render your software useless, warranting a re-install.

but they can render your software useless, warranting a re-install.

now in perfect english:

:ermm:

/me doesn't beleive that

fact is: microsoft can't do that. if they f**k you xp with the service pack, they definitively can't stop you reinstalling it

they can't do anything!!!!! hahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa:D

Originally posted by mariusu  

now in perfect english:  

:ermm:  

/me doesn't beleive that

fact is: microsoft can't do that. if they f**k you xp with the service pack, they definitively can't stop you reinstalling it

they can't do anything!!!!! hahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa:D

thats what I meant, all that M$ can do is cause you a little in convenience. Only if you have a none M$ CD-Key. All you corp users are fine (not devils own or what ever). A little bird tells me that the CD-KEY that came from that version is from M$. No worrys guys just chill and enjoy.....

to be honest it doesn't bother me whether they are tracing me are not, but what about when Windows XP first came onto the warez scene alot of people where getting a message pop up now and again say that "it appears you are running an illegal copy of XP" unless you had the built in firewall enabled. what was all that about? i never new whether or not to believe it because i never had that problem.

If you ever get a box with saying you are using illegal version or whatever of ms, please check microsoft.com/priacy/ or blah blah.

Its just people playing games with you, netsend... :devious:

I dont think there are enough jail cells in the world to hold all of the people who have illegal copies of Microsoft's software!

LOL

BTW, i got this really weird message in the mail the other day from MS that said something like, "are your licences up to date?? if not, you could face up to 40 years in jail, or a fine of $500,000. please call 1-800-bla-bla-bla to check if your licences are current."

i hope they dont know that i have the devilsown version of xp pro :ermm: :paranoid:

the OLD OLD Whistler build would call home before they were cracked...

Ive heard of ppl downloading the EARLY build, uncracked, with no reset patch and ms calling their house telling them they had 3 days to uninstall it or face legal action....