Responsive layout - any suggestions?

Question

I've thrown together a little responsive layout, and wondered if any of the better developers here could take a look, please?  It's not about design, just about "Is it working?  How can it be better?".  It's meant to:

Be centred on wider resolutions

Navigation take a 2nd line on lower resolutions (<750)

Navigation become iPhone style on devices

Sidebar to the right on wider resolutions

Sidebar below on lower resolutions (<750)

Sidebar below on devices

http://niklouch.com/

Thanks in advance

7 answers to this question

On low-resolution devices when the menu wraps to two lines it overlays the first paragraph of text. Also, while the approach you've taken is fine for small projects I would recommend looking at mobile first (with min-width media queries) for larger ones, it generally allows for cleaner styles (i.e. not a bunch of undoing styles like float: none). 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ZakO said:

On low-resolution devices when the menu wraps to two lines it overlays the first paragraph of text. Also, while the approach you've taken is fine for small projects I would recommend looking at mobile first (with min-width media queries) for larger ones, it generally allows for cleaner styles (i.e. not a bunch of undoing styles like float: none). 

Thank you.  Can I ask in what browser you are seeing the overlap, as I'm not in Chrome, Safari, IE 8, 10 (mobile and desktop)?

I've just started reading on mobile first - interesting.  But yes, this is for my personal blog, which will basically have a readership of one most likely ;)

34 minutes ago, Nik L said:

Thank you.  Can I ask in what browser you are seeing the overlap, as I'm not in Chrome, Safari, IE 8, 10 (mobile and desktop)?

Actually, that's my mistake, I only tested briefly on a resized chrome desktop, I didn't notice the max-device-width media query in your stylesheet adjusting the menu on small devices so it probably only breaks on a desktop browser sized small.

34 minutes ago, Nik L said:

I've just started reading on mobile first - interesting.  But yes, this is for my personal blog, which will basically have a readership of one most likely ;)

Yeah, that's understandable :p. It's definitely worth looking at if/when you're going to do larger responsive sites.

• Like 1