Late 2013 iMac issues... again.

2 hours ago, giantsnyy said:

They had a manager from Apple customer services call me directly.  They're essentially replacing everything in my computer sans the case.  He's ordering the parts and having the Apple Store replace it and will be following up after the repair is completed.  He seemed incredibly upset at the fact that they left fingerprints under the glass, and that they used the excuse that an OS install fixed it.  They're not even testing anything at this point. Just replacing it.

I'll be recording serial numbers again and starting it in the store.  This guy gave me he direct contact information, and wants me to call him if there's a problem.

So... Let's see what happens now.

I am very glad to hear that giantsnyy, please do report back how it goes.

50 minutes ago, giantsnyy said:

Yup. VMWare. I write applications for use on Teradata systems and the Teradata express VM runs explicitly on VMWare.  I also use it to builder elopement server environments.

VMware could be your culprit, like I said, I had just about all the same issues as you. Once I removed VMware all those issues went away. Have you tried removing VMware to see if that helps or tried parallels? 

I use VMware Fusion too on both my home and work Mac and don't have such issues so I wouldn't jump to conclusions there.

Anyway - great news on the hardware swap. This is more like the great Apple customer service you hear about. Glad they are putting some effort into making things right now though it should never have had to have gotten this far! 

On 4/14/2016 at 2:16 AM, Chicane-UK said:

I use VMware Fusion too on both my home and work Mac and don't have such issues so I wouldn't jump to conclusions there.

Anyway - great news on the hardware swap. This is more like the great Apple customer service you hear about. Glad they are putting some effort into making things right now though it should never have had to have gotten this far! 

Well... after yesterday I was a bit surprised.  I went in to the Apple store totally expecting them to say something along the lines of - "This is how it's supposed to work" or "We can't replace anything anymore at this point...".  After sitting there for 20 minutes, talking to two genius techs, and seemingly getting nowhere... the tech spoke to his manager, and came back with some surprising news.

I had to sacrifice the possibility of upgrading the memory & adding an SSD (not to mention, the dGPU), but they kept my 2013, and gave me a comparable brand new 2015 model.  I'm ok with that.  The new machine runs really well, and definitely runs better than the last machine.  And honestly, even though I do a lot of work in the Adobe CC apps, I don't really use anything that would require more from my computer than what it currently has.

2 hours ago, giantsnyy said:

Well... after yesterday I was a bit surprised.  I went in to the Apple store totally expecting them to say something along the lines of - "This is how it's supposed to work" or "We can't replace anything anymore at this point...".  After sitting there for 20 minutes, talking to two genius techs, and seemingly getting nowhere... the tech spoke to his manager, and came back with some surprising news.

I had to sacrifice the possibility of upgrading the memory & adding an SSD (not to mention, the dGPU), but they kept my 2013, and gave me a comparable brand new 2015 model.  I'm ok with that.  The new machine runs really well, and definitely runs better than the last machine.  And honestly, even though I do a lot of work in the Adobe CC apps, I don't really use anything that would require more from my computer than what it currently has.

Excellent. Glad you've got a resolution that you're happy with! Apple has definitely done the right thing there.

7 hours ago, giantsnyy said:

Great outcome. Glad to hear it.