Microsoft working on "total update" to File Explorer for Windows 10.

Microsoft's GM of Core UX for Windows Desktop, Tablet and Phone has confirmed on Twitter that Microsoft is working on a new "total" update for File Explorer on Windows 10.

Many users of Windows 10 have been quick to complain that File Explorer remains a huge pain point on touch based systems such as the Surface Pro, and Surfacebook.

It is not know when this update will be made available for Insiders and Consumers, but it's nice to know that Microsoft has acknowledged user feedback, and working to improve the modern UX experience on Windows 10.

More: http://mspoweruser.com/microsoft-working-major-update-file-explorer-windows-10/

Edited by Dot Matrix
  • Like 3

49 minutes ago, jjkusaf said:

Great...possibly more dumbing down to appease "touch" users.  /sigh

I wouldn't say they'll be dumbing down anything.

7 minutes ago, Dot Matrix said:

They've failed to deliver so far ... after what ... 3 and a half years?  Though I am curious what "industry existence proofs" Peter is referring to?

• Like 2

I hope they have something to show at Build. The last time someone talked about this was in 2014 when the Insider program just started so there should be something on the table at this point. I remember the article from WinBeta. (Link.) I know there was a Neowin article too, but I couldn't find it. I did a concept. I still think DAKirby309's V4 File Explorer concept is the best, but would be improved upon if when the windows size got smaller it changed to a mobile layout similar to the Twitter app.

I am surprised him/Microsoft talking about it publicly like this, especially when build is only a week away.

8 minutes ago, neufuse said:

If I have to see a stupid splash screen every time I open a folder up I am going to scream

splash screens need to die! Even MS said they were dead years ago.....

That's before they became "modern" again.  Gotta keep up with the times!  mmmm..calculator splash screen.

19 minutes ago, jjkusaf said:

They've failed to deliver so far ... after what ... 3 and a half years?  Though I am curious what "industry existence proofs" Peter is referring to?

3 1/2 years?! Windows 10 has only been on the market since last year!

7 minutes ago, Dot Matrix said:

Funny...you forgot this whole thing (one OS/Apps for all devices) started with Windows 8.  I've been trying to forget that one as well.

Judging by the "modern", touch-friendly "apps"... yes they will... these "apps" are a huge pain for non-touch systems by the way... I don't ever see you posting about that...

3 minutes ago, jjkusaf said:

Funny...you forgot this whole thing (one OS/Apps for all devices) started with Windows 8.  I've been trying to forget that one as well.

Microsoft never achieved unity with Windows 8. This all started with Windows 10.

10 minutes ago, Dot Matrix said:

Yeah but its been in development since before 2014 when it was announced at Build.

9 minutes ago, jjkusaf said:

Windows 8 can "arguably" be called the start, but MS never said Windows 8 would have unity. they always said it was to lay the foundation. for unity. the main OS experience was going to get similar to give users a feel of uniformity, but for actual universality it was a mere foundation layer for things to come later and build on it. like the true kernel unification with 10. , and then full unification through incremental upgrade to 10 over the years. 

16 minutes ago, Dot Matrix said:

Microsoft never achieved unity with Windows 8. This all started with Windows 10.

I understand that ... but this whole tragic convergence between PC/Mobile started with 8.  I'm not necessarily talking about Apps (since we are discussing a UI/UX "File Explorer" element).  The UI/UX most certainly did start with Windows 8.

49 minutes ago, Dot Matrix said:

From the standpoint of features and functionality metro apps have been an epic failure from beginning to end, today they are called UWA but it's all still junky old metro with a new name.

The modern desktop continues to be dragged backwards in time just to appease the touch users.

Why is everyone making the assumption it's going to be a modern app?  Fun fact, Windows has been touch capable for many many years, long before Modern was even a thing, never mind they'd suddenly kill off hundreds (if not more) shell extensions and cause all sorts of other breakage.  I've been using Windows based tablets since around 2002, no Modern required.. lets see what they actually come up with before copy/pasting the same old rhetoric as a larf. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Max Norris said:

Why is everyone making the assumption it's going to be a modern app?  Fun fact, Windows has been touch capable for many many years, long before Modern was even a thing, never mind they'd suddenly kill off hundreds (if not more) shell extensions and cause all sorts of other breakage.  I've been using Windows based tablets since around 2002, no Modern required.. lets see what they actually come up with before copy/pasting the same old rhetoric as a larf. 

Pretty sure the guy posted another tweet saying it was going to be UWP. 

Edit: Yup! https://twitter.com/peterskillman/status/711656951961100288 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, kozukumi said:

Pretty sure the guy posted another tweet saying it was going to be UWP. 

Edit: Yup! https://twitter.com/peterskillman/status/711656951961100288 

yep, saw that tweet as well.  Makes me sad. :(  I like the file explorer ... I like it in Windows 10.  Going to be a shame when UWP destroys it as well.

11 minutes ago, Dot Matrix said:

As they should be. UWP will be much more capable than legacy desktop.

LOLz.

Three and half years of Metro, Modern, Universal Apps .... when is this happening?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jjkusaf said:

yep, saw that tweet as well.  Makes me sad. :(  I like the file explorer ... I like it in Windows 10.  Going to be a shame when UWP destroys it as well.

I don't think you know what UWP is, or what being UWP means. because it doesn't mean what you think it does judging from you posts here. 

1 hour ago, jjkusaf said:

LOLz.

Three and half years of Metro, Modern, Universal Apps .... when is this happening?

So yeah. I was right, you don't know what UWP is.

first the old windos Apps are far more capable than you are aware, and while there aren't many, there are very powerful and very advanced windows apps. however UWP's while they sort of include the old windows apps to some degree, that's not what they are, they are so much more. 

11 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

first the old windos Apps are far more capable than you are aware, and while there aren't many, there are very powerful and very advanced windows apps. however UWP's while they sort of include the old windows apps to some degree, that's not what they are, they are so much more. 

The evolution is the same...no?  The UWP framework was in 8.1?  No? 

Which "advanced" windows apps are you referring to?  Which "advanced" UWP's are you referring to?

1 hour ago, HawkMan said:

And yet every single glorified metro app has shown to be missing a vast amount of features and functionality when compared to win32 programs.

• Like 3