Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

On 12/08/2016 at 10:28 AM, Nik Louch said:

This feels like a war film.  The editing of a trailer isn't always representative of the final film, obviously, but the shooting of the battle scenes here feels very much like something I will buy into.

This is my blaster
There are many like it, but this one is MINE.
My blaster is my best friend. It is my life.
I must master it as I must master my life.
My blaster without me is useless. Without my blaster, I am useless.
I must fire my blaster true.
I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me.
I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will....

Before Master Yoda I swear this creed.
My blaster and myself are the defenders of my planet.
We are the masters of our enemy.
We are the saviors of my life.
So be it, until there is no enemy, but PEACE.

heh, i need to go outside more.......

Edited by Mando

19 minutes ago, Mando said:

no matter how good or bad it turns, out, it will rake in hundeds of millions and Disney ultimately wont care if its trash or not.

I dunno, I think recently Disney have started to care again.  They make massive further investments off their franchises, and they seem to recognise that doing things well (or maybe: pleasing the audience) pays off by sustaining the viability of the future investments.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Nik Louch said:

I dunno, I think recently Disney have started to care again.  They make massive further investments off their franchises, and they seem to recognise that doing things well (or maybe: pleasing the audience) pays off by sustaining the viability of the future investments.

The new Jungle Book movie is really good. I was pleasantly surprised. Idris Elba is one of the highlights .. besides the amazing CGI.

• Like 2

On ‎6‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 4:19 PM, FunkyMike said:

wow .. seems like they are getting Jar Jar Abrahms to help out ..

HOW EXTENSIVE WILL THE ROGUE ONE RESHOOTS BE?

http://makingstarwars.net/2016/06/how-extensive-will-the-rogue-one-reshoots-be/

If you're going to use that ignorant "insult" at least spell Abrams correctly.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, FunkyMike said:

The new Jungle Book movie is really good. I was pleasantly surprised. Idris Elba is one of the highlights .. besides the amazing CGI.

i still really want to see that. 

3 minutes ago, PeterTHX said:

If you're going to use that ignorant "insult" at least spell Abrams correctly.

Having a bad day are we? 

1 minute ago, Mando said:

i still really want to see that. 

It is surprisingly good. Would definitely recommend it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, PeterTHX said:

No, just lumps you into the "online fanboy" category, eager to hate on things.

I am honestly not sure what wave you are riding here... but I suggest you take in the glory of the new Rogue One trailer whilst having a cold one.

Maybe you have a dislike for Jar Jar ... I could certainly understand that ...

BJ3WPBnCcAAsvTZ.jpg

I just want to see Vader slaughter them all. The cast looks annoying, especially the Jyn Erso character.

Doubtful Disney would have the stones for that, though.

Spoilers:

Spoiler

Kyber Crystal Spotted In Trailer?

zbzrGFe.png

From the TFA concept Artbook:

Intro-Primitive-Saber-Concepts.jpg

There has also been an interview with one of the cast members:

16 hours ago, compl3x said:

I just want to see Vader slaughter them all. The cast looks annoying, especially the Jyn Erso character.

Maybe Disney could release a directors cut.

16 hours ago, compl3x said:

That would sound massively dull, and wouldn't take stones would just be a financial suicide.

I think it's a safe bet that most, if not all, of them will end up dead, it is, as far as we know, a suicide mission.    Who kills who and how, well, we'll just have to wait and see.

15 hours ago, Nik Louch said:

That would sound massively dull, and wouldn't take stones would just be a financial suicide.

Epic battle scenes with Vader kicking ass? Yeah, sounds super dull. Let's watch the pretty, young rebel, rebel. I'm really only interested in this movie because it has Vader, I just hope I get to see him kick some ass.

For almost 4 decades the Star Wars brand has been racking in the cash. I don't think my Vader epic would result in financial suicide. Keep in mind this is a franchise that survived those god-awful prequels. 

3 hours ago, compl3x said:

Epic battle scenes with Vader kicking ass? Yeah, sounds super dull.

Totally one dimensional film sounds very, very dull.

I'm really only interested in this movie because it has Vader, I just hope I get to see him kick some ass.

I'm hoping to see him get his ass kicked.  Explain some of why he is so lethargic in EP4.  Explain why he is so cold and calculating in EP4.  Flesh out the character in a way that Hayden simply wasn't able to.

For almost 4 decades the Star Wars brand has been racking in the cash.

Oh completely agree - but Disney as a company seem to be investing in longevity these days, rather than short term gains.

Keep in mind this is a franchise that survived those god-awful prequels. 

You know, I've a theory here.  Star Wars' re-invigoration seems to be IN PART thanks to how Disney have handled that debacle.  Hear me out...

I am a MASSIVE Disney geek.  I go to the parks a lot, I am intrigued by the machinations of the company enough to hold stock, I read up on their history and so on.  I have noticed one thing with how they've handled the Star Wars property... They seem to be showing respect to 4,5,6 and absolutely distancing themselves from 1,2,3. You go to the parks and literally none of the merchandise, artwork, anything has reference to 1,2,3 characters beyond the iconic (if not underused) Maul.  The same can be said of the way they talk about the franchise.  That sizzle reel for EP7 said a lot of things like "going back to the Star Wars you loved", "going back to film and practical effects" and so on.  And now this film - oh look, a Star Wars prequel.  If that's not a direct middle finger to 1,2,3 then I don't know what would be.  All in all, if you read between the lines - they really seem to have found a way to direct viewers attention away from that dross and towards what we love.

Let's watch the pretty, young rebel, rebel.

First off, that's subjective.  I couldn't care less if she is pretty or not.  I like that she has a somewhat interesting background as far as morals go.  I like that we have another character who almost feels like a terrorist freedom fighter.  I like that the background of some of the Rebels is dubious, not showing them as always the whitest of white good guys.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Nik Louch said:

Totally one dimensional film sounds very, very dull.

What makes that one dimensional? Vader is the most violent and powerful Sith (since Disney revoked the extended universe) expressing his power. It seems like it would be amazing to see him express his power and skill. I think chronicling Vader's reign would be awesome.  I think they should have to provide some fan service vis a vis Vader. Instead, they offer James Earl Jones some cash to do some voice over and think that'll do.  Vader will have the equivenlent of a cameo in this film.

First off, that's subjective.  

You've pointed out my view is subjective. How clever. Collect your " I've pointed out the bleedingly obvious" award at the next window. 

I couldn't care less if she is pretty or not.  I like that she has a somewhat interesting background as far as morals go.  I like that we have another character who almost feels like a terrorist freedom fighter.  I like that the background of some of the Rebels is dubious, not showing them as always the whitest of white good guys.

What morals? Do you know something about this character that the rest of us don't? We only understand this character from the 2 trailers we've seen. She's a sassy rebel. Cool.  Finding a "bad guy/dubious character" who redeems themselves by fighting for the good guys is not enlightened writing. It's Han Solo.

<snipped>

Edited by Jason S.
flamebait

1 hour ago, compl3x said:

What makes that one dimensional? Vader is the most violent and powerful Sith (since Disney revoked the extended universe) expressing his power. It seems like it would be amazing to see him express his power and skill. I think chronicling Vader's reign would be awesome.  I think they should have to provide some fan service vis a vis Vader. Instead, they offer James Earl Jones some cash to do some voice over and think that'll do.  Vader will have the equivenlent of a cameo in this film.

There is only a very specific area of Vader's story left untold.  Watching him stroll around the galaxy killing people tells absolutely no story.  It's one-dimensional, expands nothing - it's simply a fanboy dream.  Perhaps delving into how his motivations between EP3/4 changed, then yes, that would be very well received, but such a story can't be so facile.

You've pointed out my view is subjective. How clever. Collect your " I've pointed out the bleedingly obvious" award at the next window. 

Oh aren't you snarky.

What morals? Do you know something about this character that the rest of us don't? We only understand this character from the 2 trailers we've seen. She's a sassy rebel. Cool.  Finding a "bad guy/dubious character" who redeems themselves by fighting for the good guys is not enlightened writing. It's Han Solo.

Well, I've obviously seen more of the comments made in interviews and panels than you seem to reference, so yes.  And Solo is not a similar back story at all.

<snipped>

Well, you brought it up, you clearly care.  Why have I returned?  People asking me to, people suggesting I just ignore those who can't have a conversation without personal attacks, the fact I realised I missed the valuable areas of this site and the ones that had gotten under my skin were not worth cutting off my nose to spite my face.  Seeing as you asked.  And as for your contempt?  I am happy that you care :)

However, seeing as you wish to take a conversation about a film into personal attacks (that's quite sad really isn't it - that you can't just have a conversation?) - I shan't be engaging you further.  May the force be with you.

Edited by Jason S.
  • Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...