Windows 7: The return and HOW.

I'm back on Windows 7. I recently purchased a DVD with EVERY version of Windows x86/64bit from the basic all the way up to ultimate. I got it the DVD for about $8.75 on Amazon(the installation key for your SKU is YOUR responsibility to legally own*) ;) . Any way, to make the return to 7, there are a few things to consider: Do you know all of the hardware in your system? Basically I do but I concern myself with these aspects. I found that the older drivers will suit you just fine. Realtek sound and Conexant seem to be common builders of high definition audio. Some might have Atheros or like myself, Intel Wifi cards built in. I'll try and post links to some of the OEM's I'm aware of, their respective driver links. Think older drivers! 2010-2013 or 2014 generally work.

Toshiba: Toshiba Drivers

Dell: Dell driver support

HP: HP driver support

Lenovo: Lenovo (I hope the right location)

Alienware(Dell owned) Driver support

ASUS: Driver support ( Windows 7 64 bit - Windows 10 64bit) (no 32 bit support apparently)

Just some of the more known OEM's that I know of. But I have found that, the driver DVD I bought for Windows 7 32 and 64 bit versions, is quite worthy in that, it offers the drivers for my particular laptop. plus some utilities to tell me what my hardware is should I have cranial flatulence. I'm in the process of downloading the applicable updates that I can and Hope I can simply keep on enjoying it. (I'm a nostalgia nut anyway)  Oh before I forget.. find out your wifi hardware BEFORE you go back to 7 and download the driver for it and burn it to a DVD/CD so when you install 7, you can install and get your internet up first. I suggest installing your drivers in this order:

1. Wifi or ethernet driver (so you get your inter up and running and download whatever else afterwards)

2. Graphics card. Some laptops have a discrete AND an integrated graphics system (ie Intel integrated 4600 and discrete Nvidia 770M)  so install both in any order.

3. Sound. not as important, but I know you audiophiles need your tunes... ;) 

4. then get into the deeper stuff like chipset drivers oh and USB. (hence why I said to put wifi driver on a DVD/CD) my usb didn't function until i installed my USB drivers. MS has default USB drivers but I wouldn't necessarily trust them.

all in all, we have advanced past Windows 7 and I thought I'd help some folks who want to go back to it, find their way. any questions, please, by all means PM me. * Don't ask me anything outside of legal discussions to keep within Neowin.net rules.

best regards,

Chrisj1968

So you're back on Windows 7 from... what, exactly, Windows 10 or something else?

As for paying for some custom made DVD, well, I wouldn't have wasted the money personally since you can't be 100% sure it wasn't tampered with in some respect. You can still download Windows 7 images from Microsoft (it's not a simply point-click thing but it's possible) and as always the DVD from them already has all the versions on it, all of them do if distributed by Microsoft (the difference being what the ei.cfg file designates as the edition you're going to install be it Home, Pro, Ultimate, etc). As for the version (meaning 32 bit or 64 bit) they come on separate ISOs but Microsoft did create one disc - a DVD9 ISO that requires a dual layer DVD to burn since it's more than 4.37GB in size which is the limit for a single layer DVD aka DVD5 - that is "out there" but not directly from Microsoft without an MSDN subscription.

Regardless, I find it somewhat funny that you say not to ask you anything outside of Neowin's rules but, and you'll probably not believe this, acquiring Windows 7 from whatever source you did (Amazon or the seller, it doesn't matter) is in some respects illegal because only Microsoft is the one legally allowed to distribute Windows 7 installation media like it or not. There's a reason that official media has the terms "Do not make illegal copies of this disc." on them but most people just don't get it and do it anyway. It doesn't matter if it has a valid Product Key or not, doesn't matter if you have a valid Product Key or not, the actual software on the DVD is still copyrighted and owned - just like Windows 7 itself is, end users just license it for use, you don't own it - by Microsoft but even they can't pursue every two bit scumbucket that makes such DVDs and sells them in such ways.

Anyway, the Product Key means nothing: the Certificate of Authenticity (the sticker on a case or included in the packaging with the DVD media) is the actual legal proof of license as well but most don't have or include those either.

I wouldn't trust that DVD you purchased any further than I could throw it (and that's several hundred feet, actually) but you're already committed now so, best of luck with that. :D

• Like 3

Yeah From Windows 10 home. as for the DVD, the seller has a 100% reputation anyway. Link: <link removed>

My legal installation key is for Home Premium...

7 minutes ago, br0adband said:

So you're back on Windows 7 from... what, exactly, Windows 10 or something else?

As for paying for some custom made DVD, well, I wouldn't have wasted the money personally since you can't be 100% sure it wasn't tampered with in some respect. You can still download Windows 7 images from Microsoft (it's not a simply point-click thing but it's possible) and as always the DVD from them already has all the versions on it, all of them do if distributed by Microsoft (the difference being what the ei.cfg file designates as the edition you're going to install be it Home, Pro, Ultimate, etc). As for the version (meaning 32 bit or 64 bit) they come on separate ISOs but Microsoft did create one disc - a DVD9 ISO that requires a dual layer DVD to burn since it's more than 4.37GB in size which is the limit for a single layer DVD aka DVD5 - that is "out there" but not directly from Microsoft without an MSDN subscription.

Regardless, I find it somewhat funny that you say not to ask you anything outside of Neowin's rules but, and you'll probably not believe this, acquiring Windows 7 from whatever source you did (Amazon or the seller, it doesn't matter) is in some respects illegal because only Microsoft is the one legally allowed to distribute Windows 7 installation media like it or not. There's a reason that official media has the terms "Do not make illegal copies of this disc." on them but most people just don't get it and do it anyway.

I wouldn't trust that DVD you purchased any further than I could throw it (and that's several hundred feet, actually) but you're already committed now so, best of luck with that. :D

These versions of windows all come on one DVD. when you install, a menu comes up and simply select the version you have the install key for (like a big dummy, I lost my 64 Bit DVD, it came with both the 32 Bit and 64 bit DVD's.)

51b-yLfZz7L.jpg

4 minutes ago, chrisj1968 said:

These versions of windows all come on one DVD. when you install, a menu comes up and simply select the version you have the install key for (like a big dummy, I lost my 64 Bit DVD, it came with both the 32 Bit and 64 bit DVD's.)

51b-yLfZz7L.jpg

As br0adband mentioned the problem you have is that you have no idea what else has been modified on that DVD, how do you know something malicious hasn't been injected too?

Many Neowin members, myself included could help you obtain an untouched ISO for the versions of Windows 7 you have a licence for. It would be possible to compare the SHA1 of this against what Microsoft provide to confirm the ISO is 100% untouched.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, br0adband said:

Regardless, I find it somewhat funny that you say not to ask you anything outside of Neowin's rules but, and you'll probably not believe this, acquiring Windows 7 from whatever source you did (Amazon or the seller, it doesn't matter) is in some respects illegal because only Microsoft is the one legally allowed to distribute Windows 7 installation media like it or not. There's a reason that official media has the terms "Do not make illegal copies of this disc." on them but most people just don't get it and do it anyway. It doesn't matter if it has a valid Product Key or not, doesn't matter if you have a valid Product Key or not, the actual software on the DVD is still copyrighted and owned - just like Windows 7 itself is, end users just license it for use, you don't own it - by Microsoft but even they can't pursue every two bit scumbucket that makes such DVDs and sells them in such ways.

Anyway, the Product Key means nothing: the Certificate of Authenticity (the sticker on a case or included in the packaging with the DVD media) is the actual legal proof of license as well but most don't have or include those either.

I still have my original Windows 7 Home Premium Box with the serial key and the two DVD's one 32 bit and the other 64 bit.

I have to agree with everyone else. Personally, I could've made you something quite similar. I have a 128GB ThumbDrive with about 40 different variations of Windows, Linux, and Unix on it. Granted, I haven't tested it since I made the custom Boot Loader for it, the goal was to be able to run any OS I wanted without carrying around something huge and bulky. Speaking of said Thumb Drive, I can't remember where I put it, haha.

I'd be very very careful, especially with something like this. Got it off Amazon? Sounds a bit sketchy bro.

40 minutes ago, BinaryData said:

I have to agree with everyone else. Personally, I could've made you something quite similar. I have a 128GB ThumbDrive with about 40 different variations of Windows, Linux, and Unix on it. Granted, I haven't tested it since I made the custom Boot Loader for it, the goal was to be able to run any OS I wanted without carrying around something huge and bulky. Speaking of said Thumb Drive, I can't remember where I put it, haha.

I'd be very very careful, especially with something like this. Got it off Amazon? Sounds a bit sketchy bro.

you must have a gazillion thumb drives. but I've run virus protection on my system and it's clean. I'm sure if it were sketchy, legally speaking or such, they wouldn't be on Amazon I'm sure. But the activation worked perfectly. But I'll keep an out out for anything odd. I appreciate you guys and your concern.

48 minutes ago, BinaryData said:

I'm downloading a secondary .ISO from Microsoft, Home Premium for creating a USB thumb drive. I'll take your advice just to be safe.. heck my sergeants in the Army always taught me to expect Mr. Murphy to show up and make an appearance to mess things up.

9 hours ago, br0adband said:

He changes every week, its back to 7, back to 10, back to 7, back to 10.

3 hours ago, chrisj1968 said:

naw sorry lol. I come and go and forget sometimes. sorry about that.

Then start looking at your previous topics, you have a habit of duplicating questions over and over and over again. Visit your own profile and look at threads started, or better yet bookmark your threads.

9 hours ago, chrisj1968 said:

51b-yLfZz7L.jpg

That is NOT a legitimate DVD.

2 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

That is NOT a legitimate DVD.

Sad he paid for it, especially considering you can get the ISOs from Microsoft legally. Hes also the same guy who bought a driver disc in 2016, who does that?

Just now, adrynalyne said:

If only it could also keep out the hater cancer that has infected this forum.

No matter the thread, one of them always finds a way.

Chris you can also add to your original post, if a driver from the OEM is not present you can search google for one doing the following:

Go to Device Manager, devmgmt.msc

Right click the hardware with missing driver

Select Properties

Select Details

Switch the drop-down box to Hardware Ids

Right click and copy either of the first two lines

Paste into google and you'll find the proper driver.

This comes in handy if the OEM of the laptop does not provide a driver, chances are another OEM uses the same hardware internally and you can use their driver to get it working.

You also should be installing the chipset drivers first, not last.

2 hours ago, Circaflex said:

He changes every week, its back to 7, back to 10, back to 7, back to 10.

Then start looking at your previous topics, you have a habit of duplicating questions over and over and over again. Visit your own profile and look at threads started, or better yet bookmark your threads.

I get bored. I think I posted it somewhere here or another thread. But I have it now exactly as I like it. I love 10 and I love 7. I'm keeping both until i decide where I want to go. Sorry. I'm not able to make up my mind.

I admit, I'm all over the place. I realize that. :D 

9 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

Chris you can also add to your original post, if a driver from the OEM is not present you can search google for one doing the following:

Go to Device Manager, devmgmt.msc

Right click the hardware with missing driver

Select Properties

Select Details

Switch the drop-down box to Hardware Ids

Right click and copy either of the first two lines

Paste into google and you'll find the proper driver.

This comes in handy if the OEM of the laptop does not provide a driver, chances are another OEM uses the same hardware internally and you can use their driver to get it working.

I want to say thank you for this info. great info.

I have a bootable thumb drive I keep with about 8 different versions of windows on it, too lazy to make a custom boot I just keep each install in it's own folder and move it out to the root when i want to do a install.

9 hours ago, chrisj1968 said:

naw sorry lol. I come and go and forget sometimes. sorry about that.

You can ask as many questions, and however many times you wish. We all forget sometimes, some more than others, however, it's ok.